Which sailing to gamble on? Any psychics in the house?

ATLfuzzy

As long expected, my 17 July 21 RC Symphony was just cancelled.   I can’t lift and shift to Celebrity, but will get refund.   I am prone to forget about cruising this year and just go to Costa Rica. I only have one specific week off (July 17). Should I give it up or book on one of these ? Hmmmm.  What to do!?

**July 17 out of SXM. Millie. Air is very expensive(unless they offer discounted air).   But I love the ship. 
**July 17 FLL  Edge*.  Will this thing still be sailing then with all the Florida going’s on?  *New FL law kicks in July 1, after the first Edge sailing. 

I want to sail that week but don’t know what will happen. Advice? 

Edited by ATLfuzzy
Typo

Just now, ipeeinthepool said:

Go with the Edge.  I think you want to avoid the expensive air fares as well as all of the testing requirements to sail out of St Marten.   My preference would be just to show my vaccination card and get on the ship.  

I just don't want another cancellation.  Worried about that FL law that will be in effect, and if Celebrity will end up cancelling.    At any rate, I think I will give it a shot.  As a fresh booking, I would get my money back if cancelled.  

Just now, ATLfuzzy said:

I just don't want another cancellation.  Worried about that FL law that will be in effect, and if Celebrity will end up cancelling.    At any rate, I think I will give it a shot.  As a fresh booking, I would get my money back if cancelled.  

I'm still a believer in what the NCL CEO and the Celebrity Sales VP have said.  At least through last week they have consistently said that they will find a solution that allows them to sail with vaccinated passengers and crew.

• Like 1

The ship has been switched from Millennium to Summit. We received a notice yesterday that our 7/24 and 7/31 have changed as have the itineraries. Not sure about the sailing you’re interested in.  

Edited by sunpsyche
Grammar
  • Like 1

In my opinion (which of course is worth about as much as the cost of the paper you could print this answer on), I think the cruise lines will be able to work something out with the state of Florida so that cruising can begin this summer as planned.  I am not going to get political here, but I think it is safe to say that Florida stands to lose millions of dollars if they don't work something out - and potentially lots more over the years if the lines move elsewhere.  And there is no way the cruise lines are going to sail at this time without requiring vaccinated passengers.  Should they not be able to do that, and encounter another large breakout onboard, it would destroy the industry.  There is a lot of political posturing and ego and all that which accompanies any new law, but I think at the end of the day it will be realized that some deal will need to be worked out for everyone's sake.

So based on this, I would risk a Florida sailing.

We had a room on hold on both the Edge and Summit but until I can actually see sailings actually start we won’t book. The airfare is too expensive to gamble. I wish X would place a ship out of Los Angeles starting soon. For us there would be no airfare involved. Easier gamble. 🙂 Good luck with your decision.

• Like 2

Isn’t Costa Rica a Level IV do not travel destination for the U.S.   If you want to laugh, check the State Department’s warnings on Somalia, also a Level 4.    They suggest you have your will written along with next of kin, executor, person to contact in the event of kidnapping etc.   

We’re only a little more than three weeks from the FL law going into effect. Heck, I’ve got the Edge booked for October and am not even real comfortable about that being a 95% sailing. I’m not at all interested if it’s a mix requiring masks and distancing.  

If you can afford it and you like the Mille I would believe that would be the bet. Note we’ve had many folks on this forum predicting that there would be a decision on the FL law last Wednesday. That day came and went to only see FL double down on the rhetoric. IMHO if the cruise lines together gave DeSantis a date certain to work this out or they would move ships out of FL there would a deal. People need to make plans and the cruise lines need to take firm action. Seems there are lots of Gulf coast ports that would welcome them.   

You could do what we did.  We booked on the Carnival Horizon for July 10 and for Millie now Summit out of St. Maarten on July 24.  If the first one goes, we will cancel the second and just have a big credit on Jet Blue.  Either way, we will cruise in July.  Vaccinated and ready to cruise! 

3 hours ago, jj39 said:

People need to make plans and the cruise lines need to take firm action. Seems there are lots of Gulf coast ports that would welcome them.   

I vote for New Orleans! I’d love it if Celebrity cruised out of NOLA

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, finny2 said:

I vote for New Orleans! I’d love it if Celebrity cruised out of NOLA

I would too!! I live five minutes from the Port, so I'd be there all the time! 

Taking in the Mississippi River from a Celebrity ship would be a dream!

Edited by keels81