Time in Barcelona prior to the cruise or after the cruise

When we were in Barcelona we booked tours with Context Travel--small group tours that had only between 2 and about a half dozen guests.  The tour guides were excellent and you avoid all the long lines for admission to the various venues.  

I just googled Context Travel and it shows no availability for small group tours in Barcelona.  I assume this is related to Covid.  Presumably this will change and they will become available again at some point.

I would vote for the Barcelona stay to be at the beginning of your cruise.  We have done it both ways.  The "trouble" with doing a few days at the end of the cruise is that we are so spoiled by the wonderful  service, dining and socializing onboard, that having to make arrangements on land seems like such a burden!  

Thank you BettyDol,

It seems to be how the majority feels, that is spending a few days prior to the cruise is more desirable

for many good reasons. Now we have twelve plus months to plan a few days in Barcelona with many good

suggestions from the folks on CC. 

• Like 1

We start are cruise in Barcelona, every time we go we find lots of things to do.  We plan to spend 4 nights in Barcelona, then move over to Sitges for 4 nights before we get on the ship.  After the cruise which ends in Rome we plan to spend 4 nights before we fly to Paris for an additional 4 nights before we fly home.  That said, if you have the time do something at both-the beginning and the end of the cruise.  After all moist of us will be flying 10+ hours to get over to Europe so you may as well enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

The Hotel Arts is worth looking into for a stay in Barcelona.  We've stayed there twice on the Club level.  The Club lounge is casual, relaxed, has very good food and drinks all included.  It is on a high floor with a view looking out on the sea.  It was a great place to unwind when we flew into Barcelona once and excellent to just relax after getting off a Regent cruise another time.  Given Covid restrictions, I don"t know whether or how the lounge operates these days, but presumably it will return to normal one of these months.

The location is about a 20 minute walk or a very short taxi ride  to the Las Ramblas area.  Since it is on the Mediterranean there are restaurants along the walkways in the area.  I preferred the location to being in a hotel in the center of tourist area which is constantly very hectic. Others may prefer a location more in the heart of things.  

Similar to many earlier postings, suggest:

1.  Pre-stay as first option.

2.  Second the motion re: CruisetheCs' review of Hotel Arts.  Commented at some length on this hotel in an earlier posting a few months back on another Thread.  Passage of time--and memory on this one.  Can't be more specific.  Anyway,  several stays at Arts, either pre or post-cruise.  Arts was built as a Headquarters site for Olympic Games officials.  Upscale in all respects, and a great, quiet location near the water.  Near easy transport options to downtown and Las Ramblas.  

Our next pre-stay (hopefully) at Barcelona will be in late October before boarding Explorer (switch from Mariner) for TA crossing to Miami.   

GOARMY!

We’ve stayed at The Hotel Arts, great hotel and the Concierge Floor Lounge is very nice.  You can buy that floor or if you have a suite you’ll have access to the lounge.  Even having a great stay at the hotel I found it to be a little far from then city fun.  If you want quiet, restful days it’s a great place.  If you like walking out your hotel front and having everything in front of you, it’s not the place to stay.  Just another opinion to think about.

• Like 1

The Cotton House Hotel is very nice and located just northwest of the Barri Gotic and is perfectly situated for exploring that great area of Barcelona. The Gothic Quarter can only be explored on foot.  Some hotels located within the Quarter can not be reached by taxi, but the Cotton House is on a major road, so that is not issue.  Also, it is in easy walking distance to the La Rambla and the unusual architecture (ala Gaudi) located along that street.

I'll put another vote for a hotel in Eixample.  It has wide walkable streets, good shopping and restaurants, walking distance to the major Gaudi sites and lacks the touristy feel of the old city, although easy to get to the old city when you want.  If you would prefer a very modern hotel with excellent service, the Alma Barcelona is worth a look.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjs217 said:

The Cotton House Hotel is very nice and located just northwest of the Barri Gotic and is perfectly situated for exploring that great area of Barcelona. The Gothic Quarter can only be explored on foot.  Some hotels located within the Quarter can not be reached by taxi, but the Cotton House is on a major road, so that is not issue.  Also, it is in easy walking distance to the La Rambla and the unusual architecture (ala Gaudi) located along that street.

The Cotton House Hotel is a great hotel and location.  And you get Marriott points, how good is that!

For those of you who have 'deviated' your flights to arrive in Barcelona (or any port, for that matter) early, do you know how many days in advance of the actual cruise start date one might be able to fly in using Regent's air?

I see 4 days, and 8 days mentioned.  Do you know if it could be as much as 21 days?

1 hour ago, golfguyhhi said:

For those of you who have 'deviated' your flights to arrive in Barcelona (or any port, for that matter) early, do you know how many days in advance of the actual cruise start date one might be able to fly in using Regent's air?

I see 4 days, and 8 days mentioned.  Do you know if it could be as much as 21 days?

Call the Regent reservation number and ask to be connected to the Air Concierge. They should be able to help you.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

With my wife and I both still in the workforce, the decision "Pre or Post" usually comes down to what day of the week we sail/fly.  Often a few extra days will take us to a weekend on either end that just makes more sense for us to minimize days away from the office.

But with all else being equal, I prefer pre to post just because a couple of days of sightseeing and vacationing helps get me in the cruise mode better.  Once we leave the ship I'm usually already in my 'fly-home' mode and I'm less likely to enjoy the extra days.

Weird, I know, but that's how I roll.

1 minute ago, UUNetBill said:

But with all else being equal, I prefer pre to post just because a couple of days of sightseeing and vacationing helps get me in the cruise mode better.  Once we leave the ship I'm usually already in my 'fly-home' mode and I'm less likely to enjoy the extra days.

i agree with you. Usually i am ready to go home after a cruise however if the only option to see something i want to see is post then i just set my mind to the trip not ending until after the post-cruise trip. We have had some great post cruise trips - Angkor Wat and 2 African safaris.

Oh to have that dilemma right now. We have nothing planned until August 2022 with neither a post or pre cruise trip. 

1 minute ago, 1982CruzStart said:

i agree with you. Usually i am ready to go home after a cruise however if the only option to see something i want to see is post then i just set my mind to the trip not ending until after the post-cruise trip. We have had some great post cruise trips - Angkor Wat and 2 African safaris.

Oh to have that dilemma right now. We have nothing planned until August 2022 with neither a post or pre cruise trip. 

Well, after four cancellations (the most recent being our October Tokyo trip) we're ready to get back on board.  We're booked in January '22 (Caribbean) with three others following...but may need to rethink anything in '23 to check out Grandeur.  C'mon, cruising, let's get going!!