Do you buy the Celebrity insurance or something else?

amypet

1 hour ago, kearney said:

I have used Allianz... had a great experience... I have also used insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com ... these last two online services... look at a number of different companies. I usually go through and pick what I think is the best plan for us and then call and talk to a rep to get answers to my questions. Some, if not all now offer covid coverage which can help with medical and delays due to covid.

In considering insurance... think of what your concerns are... generally they involve cancellation or medical issues. We have been on a number of cruises where passengers have had to be airlifted or taken off by a small boat... and well.. I don't want that bill.

I tried these two online services because I wanted to modify coverage to be more focused on our needs. I have not used the cruise line's coverage.. it was not expensive..but it didn't seem to have the coverage I wanted either.

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions... I find myself reasking about pre-existing condition waiver...

The earlier you purchase the better...some companies have time limits...eg purchase within x days if you want pre-existing condition waiver...that sort of thing.

I have only used it once..that was with Allianz... flights back to ATL were delayed days due to ice storm. We ended up renting a car and driving home... later I realized insurance might cover some... they covered car rental hotel and other expenses... more than covered the cost for that trip.

I agree that medical is probably the biggest risk to consider when buying insurance, but you don’t have to worry about the at-sea rescue. That is done by Coast Guard or military at no cost to you. I believe it is part of their mission to aid ships at sea.

Your cost begins when you reach land, except of course if you incurred expenses for care on the ship. Your insurance covers the ambulance that gets you to the hospital and additional care. The evacuation part gets you to the nearest hospital if the local one is unable to meet your needs, and it gets you home when you have recovered, most often by commercial air. Sometimes an air ambulance is necessary. That can be costly.

• 1 year later...

Reference to Celebrity insurance is misleading. They sell the insurance but take no responsibility for it, nor do they enter into any negotiations over a claim. I was surprised (shocked) that they simply claim it is a third party product for which they take no responsibility. I purchased cover for my son and his family who are resident in the US. when it came down to it, it was next to useless. Caveat Emptor

53 minutes ago, Definitas said:

Reference to Celebrity insurance is misleading. They sell the insurance but take no responsibility for it, nor do they enter into any negotiations over a claim. I was surprised (shocked) that they simply claim it is a third party product for which they take no responsibility. I purchased cover for my son and his family who are resident in the US. when it came down to it, it was next to useless. Caveat Emptor

That is true of all cruise line insurance. It is a source of profit, but none of the cruise lines underwrite the policy or process the claims.