RC just announced vaxxed passengers on AoS must get rapid test at checkin

16 minutes ago, Babr said:

Well, that is the problem. A false positive at check in means you are denied boarding.

Will they administer a second test just to ensure that doesn't happen?

• Like 3

Just now, Babr said:

Those who have been chanting, “If you are afraid, just stay home” may now begin to realize the kind of complications others anticipated. 

Although not on a cruise, a month or so ago a nurse was fully vaccinated, on a trip to Mexico, for the return to US she was positive for covid.  She had to stay there for the 14 days.  So it is a mixed bag.  I personally don't feel worth that risk 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Anton said:

The news about the two MSC passengers testing positive probably helped RCI make this decision too.   The media tried to make the MSC story into a major event this morning,  so RCI doesn't want any questions about why they didn't test everyone prior to boarding.

Of course the media did just that. Wait and see what happens if cruises sailing from the US have positive cases.  

Like I said in another post, they,(the media), are running out of doom and gloom stories and will be all over this if there are even a small number of positive cases onboard.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You have a 0.01% chance of getting covid after being vaccinated.

You have a much, much higher chance of getting a false positive after taking a covid test.

And I’m in that 0.01%. Was vaxxed with Moderna in Jan/Feb, and have Covid now. I have cold like symptoms, but it does happen. I blame the variants (and my daughter...lol)

I would suggest if anybody that has been vaxxed, and feels a little congested and thinks it might be a cold or allergies before boarding, just be prepared.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 3

Just now, mek said:

I don’t know. An earlier post said that Royal “would take care of you if you test positive” without being specific about what that means - maybe quarantine costs?

1 minute ago, mek said:

Of course the media did just that. Wait and see what happens if cruises sailing from the US have positive cases.  

Like I said in another post, they,(the media), are running out of doom and gloom stories and will be all over this if there are even a small number of positive cases onboard.

In other words less positives on a cruise than land. Got it. But people are bad at math so...

1 minute ago, Babr said:

I don’t know. An earlier post said that Royal “would take care of you if you test positive” without being specific about what that means - maybe quarantine costs?

I mean will they do a second test to see if that also comes back positive?

Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Yes they are. You need to understsand that the ONLY cruise they are not is out of Florida. Everywhere else, they do and they are. 

Except that there are barriers if you do not have the vaccine so in effect they are requiring proof.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 100viper said:

I don’t think that’s what they’re saying at all. 

I think it’s more about them having no negative PR during this cruise especially. 

I think you are right. It is another level of caution, and given the incredibly low risk of COVID infection after vaccination I think people have little to worry about. Also, folks need to remember a negative test is required to renter the US, so either way if you are positive you are “stuck” until you are negative and cleared to return home.  But again, incredibly low risk. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mek said:

I mean will they do a second test to see if that also comes back positive?

I don’t know how long you have to wait to retest. If you are likely to get the same result in an hour or so, there is no use to retest. Someone with medical knowledge perhaps will answer.

16 minutes ago, B113 said:

My wife is an RN and said you can have a false positive test. I hate to see some families vacation ruined. What a waste of time and money.

Well, if they test positive a second test should be administered to make sure they are really positive.

If people are testing positive before boarding  exactly how do they handle the other's who may have been in contact with them?

And hateful as this sounds, if people who have not been vaccinated arrive and test positive, no I don't feel one bit sorry if their vacation is ruined.

Edited by mek
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, mek said:

If they administer a 2nd test that then comes back negative, do you assume the positive was a false positive? Or was the negative a false negative??? OY VEY!

Edited by ramja96
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, mek said:

Well, if they test positive a second test should be administered to make sure they are really positive.

If people are testing positive before boarding  exactly how do they handle the other's who may have been in contact with them?

And hateful as this sounds, if people who have not been vaccinated arrive and test positive, no I don't feel one bit sorry if their vacation ir ruined.

How about those that are vaccinated and test positive?

• Haha 1

Just now, crzndeb said:

How about those that are vaccinated and test positive?

IMO, that is totally different - those people have done everything possible to make sure they don't have Covid.  They should not be allowed to board, but I definitely would feel sorry for them.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Yes they are. You need to understsand that the ONLY cruise they are not is out of Florida. Everywhere else, they do and they are. 

Given historically how much of RCL cruises go out of Florida, I treat the locations as the exemption to the rule. Alsaka, Texas, etc are the * at the bottom of the page.

16 minutes ago, Babr said:

That was if you tested positive mid journey.  If you never make it onto the ship, you are not Royal's responsibility

I'm still not understanding the logic of vaccinated cruisers. A person that is vaccinated can contract the covid virus.  RCL can require vaccines until they are blue in the face, but once they pull into a port and let people off, covid can (and most likely will) be brought onto the ship. 

Vaxed or Non-Vaxed, testing should be a major part of any cruise from any port going on any itenerary. At least for the time being. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Fain changes his tune every day/week. This is all being handled so poorly. Can't wait for the false positives. The media will enjoy it. 

If he is being this cautious, last minute, with an essentially fully vaccinated cruise, I predict his commitment to not requiring vaccines for US sailings out of anywhere in the US goes bye bye next week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Given historically how much of RCL cruises go out of Florida, I treat the locations as the exemption to the rule. Alsaka, Texas, etc are the * at the bottom of the page.

They are Required for 8 ships out of FL, and not required (but possibly strong-armed with financial consequence) for 5 from FL. Neither is an overwhelming majority.

To me the "we will charge you for your covid test" policy if it turns out to be true and holds up (gotta put that disclaimer in before BecciBoo jumps on me) is essentially making it an unofficial requirement from FL as well, especially if they make it astronomically priced.

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

That was if you tested positive mid journey.  If you never make it onto the ship, you are not Royal's responsibility

That will be a big hotel bill plus fees to reschedule your flight and the cost to retest so you can get on that flight.