RC just announced vaxxed passengers on AoS must get rapid test at checkin

1 minute ago, AdoraBelle said:

I think some people are lying about being vaccinated.

If that were the case, then the documentation they provided was fraudulent.  I believe it more likely breakthrough or false positives.  IMO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

yes, it does happen.    I know a good friend that was vaccinated that got covid from his teenage son who was not vaccinated.   my friend only had very mild symptoms and tested negative 10 days after his first positive test.    It happens.     the vaccine is working as it should.   It's not a 100% guarantee of not contracting the virus.

All the more reason for people to get vaccinated. Otherwise it’s just a vicious circle. The point of the vaccines was not just to protect the individual, it was to protect the community:  the more who get vaccinated, the less hosts for the virus, and any of its insidious variant cousins. No duh!  What is so difficult to understand?!

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, logan25 said:

If that were the case, then the documentation they provided was fraudulent.  I believe it more likely breakthrough or false positives.  IMO

I meant some of the anecdotes in the thread, not the Millennium cases. 

52 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

I think some people are lying about being vaccinated.

And what would be the point of that? I definitely am not lying about being vaccinated, and I sure wish I wasn’t sitting here with Covid right now. I am a senior, but no underlying conditions and a normal BMI.

Yes, it’s a small percentage, considering how many have been vaccinated, but it still happens. Doesn’t make us liars about getting vaccinated.

This below from CDC is only up to Apr

A total of 10,262 SARS-CoV-2 vaccine breakthrough infections had been reported from 46 U.S. states and territories as of April 30, 2021. Among these cases, 6,446 (63%) occurred in females, and the median patient age was 58 years (interquartile range = 40–74 years). Based on preliminary data, 2,725 (27%) vaccine breakthrough infections were asymptomatic, 995 (10%) patients were known to be hospitalized, and 160 (2%) patients died. Among the 995 hospitalized patients, 289 (29%) were asymptomatic or hospitalized for a reason unrelated to COVID-19. The median age of patients who died was 82 years (interquartile range = 71–89 years); 28 (18%) decedents were asymptomatic or died from a cause unrelated to COVID-19. Sequence data were available from 555 (5%) reported cases, 356 (64%) of which were identified as SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern,§ including B.1.1.7 (199; 56%), B.1.429 (88; 25%), B.1.427 (28; 8%), P.1 (28; 8%), and B.1.351 (13; 4%).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton said:

Now comes word from the current Celebrity Millennium cruise that two guests from the same cabin tested positive, presumably on the tests being done to comply with the CDC requirement for international flights.  They have been moved to an isolation cabin.  This is reported on Twitter by a cruise media figure who is on that cruise, Stewart Chiron (aka The Cruise Guy).

Following Seany527 on the Celebrity board who is on the Millennium right now - he says the mood onboard has changed and people have started wearing masks again:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

That is an absolute lie. Either post a link supporting your statements or stop making them!

My understanding is that the vaccines can not prevent you from getting Covid. It can significantly reduce the chances of catching it, and significantly reduce your viral load making it harder for you to pass it to someone else.

If a vaccinated person manages to contract it, I can see them quite easily re-transmitting it to a spouse in close contact, but doubtful they would infect someone passing by in a hallway or restaurant.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jrapps said:

My understanding is that the vaccines can not prevent you from getting Covid. It can significantly reduce the chances of catching it, and significantly reduce your viral load making it harder for you to pass it to someone else.

If a vaccinated person manages to contract it, I can see them quite easily re-transmitting it to a spouse in close contact, but doubtful they would infect someone passing by in a hallway or restaurant.

I’m not sure that is true. The CDC has said that you are protected from infection and also from severe illness or death if you are infected. If infection were a given, then there certainly would be many more breakthrough cases than there have been, given the over 140 million fully vaccinated people in this country. The CDC has also said that studies so far show that there is not sufficient viral load to infect another person even if one was infected.   I do not believe it is accurate at all to make a pat statement that the vaccines do not protect against infection or prevent spread. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I’m not sure that is true. The CDC has said that you are protected from infection and also from severe illness or death if you are infected. If infection were a given, then there certainly would be many more “breakthrough” cases than there have been, given the over 140 million fully vaccinated people in this country. The CDC has also said that studies so far show that there is not sufficient viral load to infect another person even if one was infected.   I do not believe it is accurate at all to make a pat statement that the vaccines do not protect against infection or prevent spread. 

I think there are in fact MANY more breakthrough cases than we are aware of. Most people who catch Covid after vaccination are asymptomatic. Many never even know and never get tested.

Don't get me wrong..vaccines work. but they aren't a cure. They just help. Without the vaccine, maybe a few droplets in a sneeze near me are enough to infect me, but with the vaccine my body can fight that before they can multiply.

If my spouse is infected, and asymptomatic, it might not just be breathing or a sneeze..intimacy could possibly transmit more viral load.

Edited by jrapps
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I think there are in fact MANY more breakthrough cases than we are aware of. Most people who catch Covid after vaccination are asymptomatic. Many never even know and never get tested.

Don't get me wrong..vaccines work. but they aren't a cure. They just help. Without the vaccine, maybe a few droplets in a sneeze near me are enough to infect me, but with the vaccine my body can fight that before they can multiply.

If my spouse is infected, and asymptomatic, it might not just be breathing or a sneeze..intimacy could possibly transmit more viral load.

I'm sure there are many.  Now cdc doesn't want vaccinated to be tested if they come in contact with a covid illness unless the vaccinated person shows symptoms.  That's telling to me.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Maybe Fauci should do a study on that, but I'm not sure I would trust his findings.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I agree they are not 100% effective. But if they are truly that fallible then cruising is in deep trouble. Based on this incident and the RCI last minute decision to test fully vaccinated passengers on the Adventure sailings, it is highly likely that there will be testing for ALL passengers at the beginning and end of any cruise leaving the US. If the likelihood of simple infection is great, then cases will be many, with interruptions of service or outright cancellations. That will be a disaster for the industry.  If the CDC and others were that unsure of effectiveness would they really have given cruise lines the go ahead weeks ago to not test vaccinated passengers at boarding?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sept10dsm said:

I'm sure there are many.  Now cdc doesn't want vaccinated to be tested if they come in contact with a covid illness unless the vaccinated person shows symptoms.  That's telling to me.

Yes. It’s a big fraud. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1