Regarding pre and post cruise hotel stays...

Stockjock

If you have cruises booked, it might not be a bad idea to start looking at pre and post cruise hotel stays.

There are times where I want my hotel to be nice, in a great location, as it will be a meaningful part of the trip, such as the hotel I booked for an upcoming cruise out of Rome.  Other times, I just need a place to sleep that's safe and clean, such as my upcoming cruise from Miami, where we fly in the evening before the cruise and we only need a room for one night.

There are many places to check room rates, but a site that advises trips is not a bad place to start, as they will show you rates from many different sources.  But one thing to keep in mind is that going directly to the hotel's website sometimes offers the best rate of all.

As an example, I went to one Miami hotel's website and found a fare of only $67 per night near the airport.  No, it's not the Ritz Carleton, but this is just for an overnight stay, so I don't need anything too fancy.  3 star class hotel, 4 star rated by guests, that should suit my needs.  Plus, they're reimbursing taxi or Uber fare from the airport which is nice (I'm flying into FLL - Ft. Lauderdale, so not sure if they'll do anything for me).  And it's fully refundable up to 48 hours before my stay.

Once people start making travel plans, some of these prices will likely go up.  So the keys are to book early, preferably book a refundable room, and check the hotel's website directly.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

I usually book the hotel up to one year in advance as soon as I book my cruise. I go on one of the travel sites ( can't say which one), get prices of hotels in the area, then get off the travel site, and go to the hotel's web site, and book direct. No deposit necessary, and fee cancellation up to 24 hrs before travel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

If you have cruises booked, it might not be a bad idea to start looking at pre and post cruise hotel stays.

There are times where I want my hotel to be nice, in a great location, as it will be a meaningful part of the trip, such as the hotel I booked for an upcoming cruise out of Rome.  Other times, I just need a place to sleep that's safe and clean, such as my upcoming cruise from Miami, where we fly in the evening before the cruise and we only need a room for one night.

There are many places to check room rates, but a site that advises trips is not a bad place to start, as they will show you rates from many different sources.  But one thing to keep in mind is that going directly to the hotel's website sometimes offers the best rate of all.

As an example, I went to one Miami hotel's website and found a fare of only $67 per night near the airport.  No, it's not the Ritz Carleton, but this is just for an overnight stay, so I don't need anything too fancy.  3 star class hotel, 4 star rated by guests, that should suit my needs.  Plus, they're reimbursing taxi or Uber fare from the airport which is nice (I'm flying into FLL - Ft. Lauderdale, so not sure if they'll do anything for me).  And it's fully refundable up to 48 hours before my stay.

Once people start making travel plans, some of these prices will likely go up.  So the keys are to book early, preferably book a refundable room, and check the hotel's website directly.

Very important to factor Uber cost into the equation. Did a land visit to Fort Lauderdale in April. Uber to airport usually cost us around $25 from the hotel (or vice versa). We’ve done it many times as recently as February 2020.   This year? Same hotel, same trip, approximately $85! 

Edited by phoenix_dream