Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

34 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Cruising is a choice.  If I had kids, I would be disturbed with the some of the recent data possibly indicating that, for kids, the vaccine might be more deadly (or debilitating) than the virus.  

Science is always changing.  Its all a risk benefit calculation.  I don't think I would risk that for my kids just to go on a cruise when I could go to a beach resort instead.  But, others have the right to make their own decisions.

Parents should make vaccine choices for their children.  I would not assume that any parent having their child vaccinated is just doing so to be able to travel or go on a cruise. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Parents should make vaccine choices for their children.  I would not assume that any parent having their child vaccinated is just doing so to be able to travel or go on a cruise. 

Some schools are requiring it

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Rare and isolated cases can happen.  Everybody who follows the science will acknowledge that.  But to say the jury is still very much out on the question of highly reduced transmission from vaccinated people is misleading.  Lots and lots of real world data says otherwise.  But some choose to only focus on breakthrough cases.

But if you are not testing your population, or only on cruise ships then how do you know it’s not being transmitted? Head and sand come to mind. I sincerely hope a month from now you are not in the same position as we are in the U.K. But we have strayed off topic for long enough. 

10 minutes ago, kearney said:

Some schools are requiring it

I know.  Was just responding to perhaps an implication that parents would vaccinate their children to go on a cruise. If so, there’s a bigger problem. I personally believe that the vaccines are very safe for children and it is wise to get them vaccinated. My 16 year old grandson was just vaccinated a few weeks ago...and he decided on his own.  Very proud of him. 😊

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, evandbob said:

For those who haven't read through all the posts on this thread, back in #385 I cited a link to an on board reporter from the "Point Guy": https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

While this is just one person's account of what she experienced on board, it's probably more factual and objective than some of the speculation here.

i did see that and agree it was a good report...I checked back and cannot find any more from that reporter...if you please very much appreciate a link. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

But if you are not testing your population, or only on cruise ships then how do you know it’s not being transmitted? Head and sand come to mind. I sincerely hope a month from now you are not in the same position as we are in the U.K. But we have strayed off topic for long enough. 

Not off topic really.  But fine. We can move on.  If you think my head is in the sand I have a whole lot of company.  It is pretty crowded down here.  I don't know of many people or scientists or governments or health authorities who think that fully vaccinated people on land should be tested for COVID- unless they are symptomatic of course.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

While technically true that a vaccinated person could contract a severe enough case to develop a transmissible viral load, the chance of this occuring is very, very low. Asymptomatic breakthrough infectees do not apparently transmit the virus.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

But if you are not testing your population, or only on cruise ships then how do you know it’s not being transmitted?

We now have results from a number of studies where vaccinated asymptomatic people were tested regularly (either observational studies of healthcare workers who had to get testing regularly even after being vaccinated, or studies specifically trying to answer this question). Those studies have consistently shown that those who were vaccinated were far less likely to transmit the disease than those who were not vaccinated.

Edited by Sykes

6 hours ago, Lolou127 said:

Do you have a link to the research that says the AZ vaccine doesn’t work well against the Delta variant?

I don't , but as a Canadian we have been told this recently and it has been recommended that those who got first dose of Astra get second of an mrna

4 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Try reading from an actual passenger “onboard “ the ship. Everyone was in the process of being tested to head back to St. Maarten. Hopefully the below site is not against CC’s rules to post. 

https://cruise.blog/2021/06/live-celebrity-millennium-third-party-excursion-and-night-quarantine?fbclid=IwAR2Jb1eGA8BZpERGKIsx3qRn0FhAG3Ocf8uUy4MJYPZkRMTyeiUBHQva6c4

Everyone should read this portion of the blog.  The situation was handled very well by X and like the poster the finding of 2 positive cases would not deter me from cruising now at all.  I have confidence that X has a handle on what to do if a positive appears.  

27 minutes ago, Sykes said:

We now have results from a number of studies where vaccinated asymptomatic people were tested regularly (either observational studies of healthcare workers who had to get testing regularly even after being vaccinated, or studies specifically trying to answer this question). Those studies have consistently shown that those who were vaccinated were far less likely to transmit the disease than those who were not vaccinated.

Nice try, but I doubt facts will change the mind of some people.   There are people that are determined to stay in a lockdown mode forever.  Some of these people even think they are following the science.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jtwind said:

All of this stuff is really going to help folks who were on the fence about wanting to be early adopters or not.  As you read through this thread, it's easy to figure out whether the announcement of 2 positive cases would ruin your last few days, or if it wouldn't bother you.

Agreed, and for me it comes down to where I am cruising.  If in the Caribbean or Alaska - not as big an issue to get back soon if I want.  However, my recent cruises have been to Europe and that makes 1 - 2 days of a lost cruise a problem since every port is special.  Not to mention the cost and effort to get overseas.

14 hours ago, jtwind said:

I haven't noticed anybody accusing the 2 people.  But as folks who want to see the cruise industry come back successfully, faked vaccinations would probably be the best case scenario.

Agree. I have been thinking that but was reluctant to say it.

4 hours ago, cangelmd said:

As a lab medicine person, I see one immediate silver lining in all this - if they are using rapid antigen tests (and that’s likely to get everyone tested before disembarking) - we are PDQ going to find out under real world conditions which rapid test performs best! That company is going to make a boatload (pun intended) of money.

Also, from my experience, false positives are very low with these tests - lower than PCR for some tests and reasons- false negatives or testing just before person turns positive is a much more likely scenario.

cangelmd, I have questions!

I’ve heard over the last year that rapid tests work best to catch someone who’s infectious. If an asymptomatic person tests positive with a rapid antigen test, does that mean they’re infectious?

Is it true that if exposed, it’s best to wait on a rapid test for 5 days after exposure?

Thanks for your insight!

Edited by syesmar

3 minutes ago, syesmar said:

I have questions!

I’ve heard over the last year that rapid tests work best to catch someone who’s infectious. If an asymptomatic person tests positive, does that mean they’re infectious?

Is it true that if exposed, it’s best to wait on a rapid test for 5 days after exposure?

Thanks for your insight!

No, if you are vaccinated and asymptomatic it is highly unlikely that you can spread Covid to anyone.  The viral load is too low to spread the disease.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

What you say is true about not testing vaccinated people on land.  But there is no need to do so.  Yes vaccinated people will get tested on a cruise by the current protocols either by the ship or the country/port.  That is of course how these two "cases" were identified.  They would likely be missed if on land as they were asymptomatic.  And so what? They apparently were not infectious and did not spread the virus.  The vaccines worked.  The procedures worked.  All good.  But let us keep the conversation real.  They were positive tests- not COVID cases.     Incredible how many posts on this - yes including mine!

Mine too.  Are we finally waking up to the fact a positive test equates not to a "case?"  Yet the writers of the Bible, Johns Hopkins, calls every positive a "case."  Unnerving.

Edited by marieps
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

I don't , but as a Canadian we have been told this recently and it has been recommended that those who got first dose of Astra get second of an mrna

boy that is the first that I have heard of mixing the vaccines.

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

No, if you are vaccinated and asymptomatic it is highly unlikely that you can spread Covid to anyone.  The viral load is too low to spread the disease.  

Science disagrees with you, I don’t think it’s as clear cut as you would like to believe. 

Thus, we suggest that asymptomatic individuals are infectious during the early stage of infection, but some rare cases (3/100.000) become long-term virus carriers which are no longer infectious. This would reconcile the Wuhan post-lockdown study with the other studies including the one from Luxembourg. This conveys several important messages for science and public health: (i) During the acute phase of a COVID19 wave, asymptomatic individuals should definitively be included in the testing strategy and their contacts traced, because they can drive the inapparent spread the virus similar to symptomatic cases. (ii) Among AIC there is a category of rare long-term SARS-COV-2 carriers (3/100.000), with minimal risk for virus transmission, despite detectable viral RNA. (iii) Despite low absolute numbers, the proportionof this category of asymptomatic carriers will increase as the virus retreats. (iv) Finally, it cannot be excluded that rare long-term carriers may become virus reservoirs, with the potential to cause recurrent outbreaks. This has important implications for future SARS-COV-2 public health and surveillance, and our understanding of yet another pitfall of this cunning virus.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00059-4/fulltext

Edited by sunlover33

25 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Wow, 26 pages of speculation. My heads hurts from all of the expert opinions. 

My wife and I look forward to boarding on the 19th, laissez le bon temps rouler.

Now for the real question, Where and what time is Bingo?

That's kinda the point of the forum, Bill.  To opine.  And to seek the thoughts of others.  I'm sure your previous 77 posts were are compelling as the last.  I'll try to meet your standard.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Please post that in every thread.  (and site a source, just so you're not flamed.)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Nice try, but I doubt facts will change the mind of some people.   There are people that are determined to stay in a lockdown mode forever.  Some of these people even think they are following the science.

And anyone who plans to stay in lockdown mode until COVID is eradicated will probably have to wait a long, long, long time .

Experts have said COVID will become endemic, i.e., it will return every year for the rest of our lives.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sunlover33 said:

Science disagrees with you, I don’t think it’s as clear cut as you would like to believe. 

Thus, we suggest that asymptomatic individuals are infectious during the early stage of infection, but some rare cases (3/100.000) become long-term virus carriers which are no longer infectious. This would reconcile the Wuhan post-lockdown study with the other studies including the one from Luxembourg. This conveys several important messages for science and public health: (i) During the acute phase of a COVID19 wave, asymptomatic individuals should definitively be included in the testing strategy and their contacts traced, because they can drive the inapparent spread the virus similar to symptomatic cases. (ii) Among AIC there is a category of rare long-term SARS-COV-2 carriers (3/100.000), with minimal risk for virus transmission, despite detectable viral RNA. (iii) Despite low absolute numbers, the proportionof this category of asymptomatic carriers will increase as the virus retreats. (iv) Finally, it cannot be excluded that rare long-term carriers may become virus reservoirs, with the potential to cause recurrent outbreaks. This has important implications for future SARS-COV-2 public health and surveillance, and our understanding of yet another pitfall of this cunning virus.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00059-4/fulltext

Pee was talking about vaccinated people being asymptomatic and unlikely spreaders.  You post speaks only of asymptomatic without reference to whether they are vaccinated.  IMO you haven't made the case that science disagrees with him.  Besides, your Lancet article is more than 3 months old.  The landscape is changing quickly.

• Like 2