Suggestions for Madeira, Portugal

We are on the October 10 TA on the Celebrity Apex.  The date of embarkation changed this week from October 21 to the 10th.  At the same time, there were 2 port changes on the itinerary.  We have no problem with the changes as we’ve never visited either of the additions, but research time is fairly short.

I am looking for any suggestions for Madeira, Portugal.  Appreciate ideas!  I also asked on our roll call.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, slewis7 said:

We are in the same boat, lol.  Here is the Tom’s Port Guide for Madeira from 2012:

https://www.madeira-holidays.eu/fotos/pdf/Funchal-Madeira-03-22-2012.pdf

This is an excellent guide. Thank you for posting it.  That was interesting that Cruise ships are not liable for accidents on shore excursions- even those sold on board ships.  I never knew that.  

We've ported twice in Madeira.

Cruise ships berth on the landward side of the long quay which protects Funchal harbour. Town is further than it looks (unless you swim across the harbour 🤨), but is walkable. Alternatively there are several transportation options - we chose a retro minibus (they go from near a fort on the quay and drop you at your choice of the town centre or the cable-car bottom station). 

There are two cable-cars - the first takes you from the bottom to the intermediate station at Monte. Those who want to go higher switch to the second one, which take you to the Tropical Gardens. We baled out at the intermediate station & walked round the corner to the street toboggans for a unique ride down through the mazy streets. Toboggans only go about halfway down - from there its a very long but downhill walk to the town centre - we shared a taxi, the fare needed a lot of haggling.

A wander amongst the minor sights & shops & bars, the we hailed a tuk-tuk back to the ship. Retro bus and tuk-tuk cost four euros pp, that'll be higher now.

On another visit we rented a car and drove a circuit of the island. The northern part was slow but scenic, the southern part was much quicker but a great deal of it is in tunnels - where the scenery is a bit limited 🤔

For a first visit to Madeira, Funchal has more than enough to offer for a port-of-call.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We have been here a couple of times & each time we take the HO/HO bus, if have used the HO/HO bus at other ports safe your receipt and show it when you buy your ticket, you'll get a discount. Take the cable car to the top, walk around the town and finish it off with a lunch at the town dock over looking the port. Enjoy your stay.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I love doing independent stuff, and I loved going into the city center of sorts of Funchal.  There are a whole lot of painted doors, so if you like artsty stuff, it might be worth giving it a look.  My "door" photos are here: https://pbase.com/roothy123/doors_of_funchals_old_town and the rest of my Funchal pictures here: https://pbase.com/roothy123/iberian_sojourn__more_&page=all  (Madeira is toward the bottom of gallery).

We also looked at, but didn't take, the tobbogan rides from Monte - crazy stuff.  And yes, after reading Tom's Port Guides, I decided I wasn't going to take a chance at ruining my vacation. 

We did a short taxi tour in the AM (my photos may say which vendor) and I explored on my own in the afternoon.  Great stop; loved it!

• Like 1