What is the Most Important Item you Like to Bring Home.....

BklynBoy8

One  of the most important item(s) we like to bring home are Menus and Daily Programmes from the sailing.

During those winter nights and spare times, we like to remember the sailing and those things we did and dishes we liked.

Also, we didn't take the opportunity to enjoy the chocolates on our pillow at night, we would bring them home and enjoy them and remember.

• 2 months later...

Although you probably are asking in a more physical context, not to sound too metaphorical and not to sound too sappy, it would be "memories."  However, besides those memories that are stored within the recesses of my mind, it also includes all of the photographs and notes. I guess to me, the most important things I take from the cruise are my notes and photographs.

While on a cruise (and for some land-based vacations) over the past few years, I take notes (almost like a short-hand journal) of each day's events so I will not forget the little things.  These notes are then transcribed into my cruise reviews (see signature below).

I will admit I do not look back at them very often, but before I begin planning my next cruise (every few years), I will almost always take a look at the photos and read through some of my thoughts.  It provides me a sense of nostalgia, a look back at great memories, and a measure of how much my daughters have grown.  I also enjoy looking back at my thoughts and thought processes in planning each of these cruises; the planning for an 8 and 13 year old is a lot different than for a 17 and 22 year old.

Interesting to note that I do have a collection of the Dailies from last several cruises. They are kept in a large "memory box" with all of the museum brochures, travel guides, admission tickets, etc. that I have collected over the years.  Every few years, if I am straightening out my basement, I may get distracted by looking through the box, but it is not very often. I predict that one day in the not-so-distant future Dailies will be electronic only, so we will have them as keepsakes.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 11:29 AM, Travel R said:

I guess to me, the most important things I take from the cruise are my notes and photographs.

On 8/24/2021 at 11:29 AM, Travel R said:

I predict that one day in the not-so-distant future Dailies will be electronic only, so we will have them as keepsakes.

Thanks for your interesting post.  I also keep a daily journal and do enjoy using it for much the same reason you use your notes:  helping to refresh one's memory in planning for another cruise/trip.  During our 2020 lockdown, reading my journals brought enjoyment to me and then viewing the photos that I had taken at that time.

Your prediction of what may happen to the hard copies of the daily programs and the menus is a realistic one.  If that happens, for those who collect cruise memorabilia, such items will have monetary value.  Check a couple of the ocean liner memorabilia dealers of today and you might be quite surprised at what people had collected from their trips now sell for today.  Just this week, I bought a set of 4 breakfast menus, 4 luncheon menus, and 2 Gala Dinner menus used in First Class on S. S. America in August, 1954.  Cost was $55.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Just this week, I bought a set of 4 breakfast menus, 4 luncheon menus, and 2 Gala Dinner menus used in First Class on S. S. America in August, 1954.  Cost was $55.  

Being of the right age now and not too old either, I remember those days when a Liner came into NY Manhattan piers and were for $0.50 cents were open to go on board and tour the ship. Mom took my brother and I to see the different ships visiting. America was one classy ship I remember at the time. Must be my very start of interest in ships that led to Cruising. The interiors were breathtaking.

BTW.....Those were the days of Bon Voyage Parties long gone past now....

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 6:52 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Being of the right age now and not too old either, I remember those days when a Liner came into NY Manhattan piers and were for $0.50 cents were open to go on board and tour the ship. Mom took my brother and I to see the different ships visiting. America was one classy ship I remember at the time. Must be my very start of interest in ships that led to Cruising. The interiors were breathtaking.

BTW.....Those were the days of Bon Voyage Parties long gone past now....

My attraction for ocean travel began with such a visit when R.M.S. Queen Mary sailed for Europe during a visit that my family made during the same kind of 50 cents/person for a visit on sailing day.  The attraction was enhanced when we boarded the ship via the First Class gangway and entered the best part of the ship.  

The one thing that sticks in my memory the most is the enthusiasm and excitement that I witnessed as a teenager was from guests boarding the ship when we were in the elevator going from street level to the embarkation deck.  The crowds that were watching the ship sail, the parties that we saw on board,  the entire atmosphere along with what I saw on the ship itself:  it's like an equation.  It all added up to my desire at a young age:  I HAVE TO DO THIS!  And, thanks be to God, for 61 times, I have been able to do so.  

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Taking the question more literally than you intended: my car keys.

😄  Returning home from a longish cruise on my flight, I suddenly thought:  where are my house keys?  I thought I remembered where I had stashed them, but it was in a piece of luggage that I could not access during the flight.  When I got the luggage, the first thing I did was to open that bag.  They were where I remembered that I had put them! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I'm not a sentimental person. Even my office at work is bare of anything, but what is necessary to do my job. When I leave a cruise, I make sure to get all my luggage, myself, and my husband. It's hard to get me as I would rather stay onboard for the next cruise...alas, I'm pulled into reality very quickly.

Otherwise, the photos I take on my phone are the only thing taken off the ship with me. To be fair, I do have the cruise cards from the last two cruises, but they'll be thrown out as soon as I remember. 

Sometimes I fear I'm boring, but I realize that whomever is my next of kin won't have a lot of clutter to dispose of when I pass on to that great blue sea.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

but I realize that whomever is my next of kin won't have a lot of clutter to dispose of when I pass on to that great blue sea

My Nephew has a daunting task ahead of him!  Years and years of cruising memorabilia some of which has monetary value for collectors.  He has been told repeatedly that if he gets a dumpster and starts pitching, without being discriminating, he will be throwing dollars away that would otherwise go into my Estate.  

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My Nephew has a daunting task ahead of him!  Years and years of cruising memorabilia some of which has monetary value for collectors.  He has been told repeatedly that if he gets a dumpster and starts pitching, without being discriminating, he will be throwing dollars away that would otherwise go into my Estate.  

You have a fortunate nephew if he goes through the items! Some, possibly him, won't know the value unless it is told to them. Have you mentioned what is valuable so that he is aware? Or is he going to have to figure it out himself?

Though, we expect this to happen sometime in the very distant future.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Some, possibly him, won't know the value unless it is told to them. Have you mentioned what is valuable so that he is aware? Or is he going to have to figure it out himself?

I have prepared some instructions for him and they are included with my Will.  But, you are correct, making a more detailed list of what I know will have monetary value to collectors is an excellent idea.  Thank you for that suggestion!  

One of the things in my collection are complete daily programs, menus, etc. from many of my cruises.  I saved every single item that I received during my 2008 world cruise.  Two plastic storage boxes full of memorabilia!  Along with a crystal model of the Amsterdam signed by the Captain and the Hotel Manager.  

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

call me crazy but i like to bring home my sanity!!!  As soon as i set foot on the ship, I forget about work and totaly relax and have 1 super good time,  I usually buy liquoir as it's expensive at home plus we have a sin tax on it ontop of the state and county tax (someone has to pay for the football, basketball and baseball stadiums!!!!) Over the years I've accumulated alot of special things from various trips, alot of the pics that either I or friends have taken are special to me and they always put a smile on my face!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm with the person that posted - the memories.  I do save room keys, dailies, tickets and such, but it's the memories that stick with me more.  A word or phrase can trigger a memory of me and my kids on a cruise ship or excursion...especially the first one they ever went on!

Next up - I'll get to make more memories with my boyfriend as he goes on his first ever cruise.  I can't wait to experience it all again through his eyes.