The New Moon - Adventures in Greece - June 18th through July 8th

spinnaker2

Thank you for posting about your trip. It is so good to see a trip report in real time once again. 
I know you will be enjoying every minute and even though we are on a road trip up the East Coast of Australia ( very lucky to be able to do this), I am still envious. 
I look forward to reading more. 

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

And this morning we awoke to the news that if we are fully vaxxed and the country we are visiting permits it we may roam about freely. No bubble excursions for Greece and Cyprus!!

Woo-Hoo!  So glad folks will be able to roam as they wish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

And this morning we awoke to the news that if we are fully vaxxed and the country we are visiting permits it we may roam about freely. No bubble excursions for Greece and Cyprus!!

This is fantastic news😄

Thanks👍

I do not know if all pax passed the test.

It was conducted in a tent building.

It was very hot. 

There were three swabber people in full protective gear in separate cubicles.

I wont describe it all unless you really want to know the procedure.

We waited an hour in that tent before we received our negative results.

By the time we got aboard it was 3:30 pm ( we were not permitted to enter the tent area until 2 pm).

A very very long and exhausting first day.

I might add the airport procedure to enter Greece was a breeze. Just had to show fax card and the locator number. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Spins for taking time out of your vacation to keep us informed and sharing your experience with us all. Anxiously awaiting our UK circumnavigation  on the Spirit in Sept. I’m hoping they  lift covid restrictions b4 then ( I hear that they have delayed full reopening until  mid July now🙄) ,  assume if they don’t , Silverseas will be cancelling this trip as well. 😕

if if you have time to share the testing protocol after you board, that would be great. Last I read, looks like they will be testing throughout the journey, can you confirm?  Its the testing that’s made me the most anxious about this trip. Since we are all supposed to be vaccinated, the risk of transmission is greatly reduced if any of us were to contract it, but we could still test positive and that would not be enjoyable if quarantined.

are you also getting temperatures checks every day from your butler? 

im glad to hear you are able to get off the ship to explore on your own in Greece without a “controlled “  ship excursion. 

Assume they  are still requiring masks onboard except when outdoors and while eating and drinking in bars and restaurants. 

Thanks again for your updates, but foremost, continue to focus  on enjoying your long awaited vacation! 

Hi Spins, thanks for checking in😃.  Sounds like you are having a wonderful time and glad the airport procedure went smoothly. The QR code was on your phone just like they said it would be.......?

As for excursions.........nice to know you can go on your own🙂......

Thanks for sharing the photos too and looking forward to hearing more!

35 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Interesting pax number.  I understand these first sailings would be reduced capacity sailings, I wonder if all/most of 2021 sailings will be reduced?? For safety, staffing, etc.  I am sure the desire is to fill the ships, but maybe that is a slow, gentle way to get to a robust 2022?

Just wondering outloud.

7 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

Interesting pax number.  I understand these first sailings would be reduced capacity sailings, I wonder if all/most of 2021 sailings will be reduced?? For safety, staffing, etc.  I am sure the desire is to fill the ships, but maybe that is a slow, gentle way to get to a robust 2022?

Just wondering outloud.

That sounds like it may be the logical way to think of things.  I sail on the 3rd cruise......July 8th.....will let you know the number for that one. It definitely sounds like a safer way to start back up.

3 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

Interesting pax number.  I understand these first sailings would be reduced capacity sailings, I wonder if all/most of 2021 sailings will be reduced?? For safety, staffing, etc.  I am sure the desire is to fill the ships, but maybe that is a slow, gentle way to get to a robust 2022?    Just wondering outloud.

Yes, agree that 210 is an "interesting" passenger number.  Is that number so low as due to "market demand" (or lack thereof) . . . or . . . on purpose to keep "social distancing"?  Is this ship's crew at the listed number of 411 or at a smaller/lower level?  Given the capacity of 596 passengers for the ship, this means you are only sailing at about one-third capacity.  

Great picture-posting and sharing by Spins.  Keep up the great efforts.  Much appreciated.  How is the food, service, etc.  Glad you will have more "freedom" in the ports.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe on the Silver Cloud. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,158 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I was wrong about the number of pax. Its 201.

Don't know about rationale of numbers.

All I know is it is fantastic!

QR code came on phone at 12:08 am the day of arrival.

You must show it and your vax card before passport control.

A long walk.

Attended salt lab class today and made Moussaka.

Fun, interactive and a different venue to experience.

Testing was in a tent.  We were not permitted in the tent before 2 pm. We then had nasal swabs and waited. An hour later we were negative. Then some more checking of passports and photos and security.

Total time 1.5 hours.

Suites were ready by then. 

Temperature checks every day by your butler.

And yes supposed periodic checking with fast test.

Buffet in La Terrazza still exists.

Mandatory hand wash before you enter. One way traffic and distance. You point to what you want and it is served to you.

You must wear masks in buffet.

You must wear Silversea provided mask, not your own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Our experience with the pre-board testing was a little quicker. We left the SS hotel on the coach around 1:40, got to the pier around 2:15 and they had us wait until the bus until about 2:30 or so  and we were on board by 3:10. We had to dispose of our existing mask  put a new SS mask on to board, but we have been able to wear our own masks (still disposable, but fit a little better)  onboard.

We were told we will be tested again mid-cruise, then as we are doing a btob, again between the cruises, halfway through the cruise and on disembarkation.

We have been spoiled rotten and the food has been fabulous.

Used the new  app and earphones for the tour today. I was disconnected a few times, but easily re-connected. However, there were only 7 in our group and several people didn't use the app and had no issues.

• Like 1

It’s not surprising that the number of passengers on the ship is only 201. Most of the frequent posters have indicated that they are not booking until 2022. That’s a very small sample but would be indicative of total cruise market.   We’re taking the plunge on the Shadow, Athen to Athens in September and very much looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sea bright said:

Our experience with the pre-board testing was a little quicker. We left the SS hotel on the coach around 1:40, got to the pier around 2:15 and they had us wait until the bus until about 2:30 or so  and we were on board by 3:10. We had to dispose of our existing mask  put a new SS mask on to board, but we have been able to wear our own masks (still disposable, but fit a little better)  onboard.

We were told we will be tested again mid-cruise, then as we are doing a btob, again between the cruises, halfway through the cruise and on disembarkation.

We have been spoiled rotten and the food has been fabulous.

Used the new  app and earphones for the tour today. I was disconnected a few times, but easily re-connected. However, there were only 7 in our group and several people didn't use the app and had no issues.

Hi, which hotel did you stay at? I am using their hotel too......The Intercontinental. Just wondering if that is where you stayed. If so, how was it? I know there are 2 choices.......I can't think of the name of the other one though. 

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi, which hotel did you stay at? I am using their hotel too......The Intercontinental. Just wondering if that is where you stayed. If so, how was it? I know there are 2 choices.......I can't think of the name of the other one though. 

Great above comments and follow-ups from Spins, daddyo, Sea Bright, Lois, etc.  Happy to hear that all is going so well.  When handy, will be interested in learning more as to the total staffing size for this sailing, insights from the staff as to how they survived during the recent shut-down, etc.  Any and all details are of interest.  

For Lois, we have stayed twice in Athens at AVA hotel right near the famed Plaka.  Currently, TripAdvisor ranks this boutique hotel as #2 of 359 hotels in Athens.  Both times our experience there has been super great.  PLUS, the location is perfect to soak up and enjoy the charm and many options in the Plaka.  It's a safe, solid, nice area.  Big hotel chains like Intercontinental, are OK, but personally, I like to get more of a "local experience" that connect to the country where i am visiting.  Need more on this hotel and/or Athens?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,395 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Re the pre boarding protocols … are all of the passengers on Silversea transfers or are there some independent ones?

We normally try to arrive at the pier just after noon …. But if they are withholding testing until 2pm that may need to be taken into account. Having said that what happens in two weeks time will be different to what happens in two months time 🙄

Thanks Spins for your responses. Thank you Sea Bright for your perspective as well. Wow about the total passengers, I thought they would have at least 50% capacity, but that must be nice to have all that open space. Hoping that the 201 is not the only ones that passed the test and actually more were due to board😳

Regardless, enjoy your trip ( and the ample space ) and good luck with random testing. Hope all goes your  (and your fellow passengers) way with no issues. 

Thanks again to both of you