Odyssey cancelled through July 25

Dear valued Travel Partners,

The health and well-being of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit remain our top priority during this time. As partners, we are committed to bringing you the latest news and updates as soon as we receive them.

Our newest ship, Odyssey of the SeasSM, has truly been on an odyssey. This beautiful ship has changed homeports and crossed the Atlantic to prepare for her first sailings in the Caribbean. Unfortunately, the odyssey isn’t over yet – eight crew members onboard have tested positive for COVID-19. These cases occurred after the vaccination was administered to all 1,400 Odyssey crew, but before the vaccines were fully effective. The affected crew are doing well - they are quarantined and being cared for onboard.  

To protect the remaining crew and prevent further cases, all crew will be quarantined for 14 days. As a result, we are cancelling Odyssey’s July 3-July 25, 2021 departures.

Your booked clients impacted by these cancelations will be notified shortly and presented the below compensation options to consider, provided they did not already cancel under our Cruise with Confidence policy.
http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/RCI/2014/Masters/email_temp/html/images/spacer.gif
  OPTION #1 OPTION #2 OPTION #3 OPTION #4
   SAIL IN 2021 LIFT & SHIFT FUTURE
CRUISE CREDIT
REFUND
OFFER On-or-before June 23, 2021, select an alternate 2021 cruise of your client's choice within the same stateroom category and the cruise fare is protected (or adjusted to prevailing fares -whichever is lower).  
Note: Holiday sailings excluded.
On-or-before June 23, 2021, move to a qualifying 6-8 Night Caribbean cruise next year within the same stateroom category and sailing +/- 2 weeks from original sail date, and your client's cruise fare/promotion is protected! 125% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) when redeeming by April 30, 2022 and sailing on or before September 30, 2022. 100% refund of amount paid valid through July 31, 2021.
ACTION
ITEMS
Choose an alternate ship/sail date, give us a call, and we'll handle the rest! Select a future sailing that qualifies, give us a call, and we'll handle the rest!     It’s Simple- No Action Needed from you! FCC is automatically issued to all impacted guests on or before July 23, 2021, if no other option is selected. To request a refund on your client's behalf, submit the request via the “Cruise with Confidence” tab on CruisingPower.com under “Brand Programs & News”.

We just got the email our cruise was canceled AGAIN ! So this makes 3 times RCCL yanked our cruise out from under us ! Saying 125% back is ? When you can’t even get a cruise ! And We don’t really want a refund ! We wanted to cruise ! So TBC — Again 

Same question I asked on the other thread posted on this topic: these cases were found in crew who had been vaccinated but had not completed the waiting period for full effectiveness. Why were they not quarantined until expiration of that time period?  Pretty dumb RCI!

• Like 12

Just now, swooldri said:

If my math is correct 8 positives out of 1400 crew members means that 99% are OK.  I thought the vaccine had a 95 % effective rate.  What is the problem?   What am I missing?  

First, they got the J&J, which has less effectiveness. Second, it happened before they had enough time to develop immunity after the shot. My guess is there will be more cases, which is why they are making all the crew quarantine and cancelling cruises. Just my guess...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, erinsmom03 said:

First, they got the J&J, which has less effectiveness. Second, it happened before they had enough time to develop immunity after the shot. My guess is there will be more cases, which is why they are making all the crew quarantine and cancelling cruises. Just my guess...

They got first dose of Pfizer 

1 minute ago, bdever said:

They got first dose of Pfizer 

I thought I'd read RCCl was doing J&J. Pfizer is better, but still not enough time to develop immunity. Very sad that another delay for Odyssey and Royal and cruisers. I hope all the crew is okay.

• Like 1

Just now, swooldri said:

If my math is correct 8 positives out of 1400 crew members means that 99% are OK.  I thought the vaccine had a 95 % effective rate.  What is the problem?   What am I missing?  

Well, the problem is where did the infection come from?  These crew have been on board for some time now. They were “supposed” to have been quarantined when they first came on board and tested numerous time before being released from quarantine. They were all vaccinated at the same time. They were “supposed” to remain quarantined during the period of time between both doses of the vaccine and full effectiveness.  If not, why not?  Who else besides each other were they in contact with?  This isn’t like an on land environment. Procedures were to be followed. Sounds like someone screwed up. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

I thought I'd read RCCl was doing J&J. Pfizer is better, but still not enough time to develop immunity. Very sad that another delay for Odyssey and Royal and cruisers. I hope all the crew is okay.

Exactly, not enough time. Royal should have started the process earlier 

Edited by bdever
Wrong word

What will happen if the July 31cruise happens and there are guests with positive cases onboard?  Logically there will be positive cases if they are allowing unvaccinated guests. Will they cancel the August 8 cruise or proceed with a new batch of guests?  I am wondering how they are going to handle this going forward because of course there will be some Covid cases on every ship departing from Florida. A part of me feels somewhat dumb for booking.  How is this going to work?  Realistically a handful of covid cases can be dealt with and sailings should go on, yet wondering if RCI going to react with an "abundance of caution" each time Covid presents on a ship.  

Edited by LoriLoriLori

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Well, the problem is where did the infection come from?  These crew have been on board for some time now. They were “supposed” to have been quarantined when they first came on board and tested numerous time before being released from quarantine. They were all vaccinated at the same time. They were “supposed” to remain quarantined during the period of time between both doses of the vaccine and full effectiveness.  If not, why not?  Who else besides each other were they in contact with?  This isn’t like an on land environment. Procedures were to be followed. Sounds like someone screwed up. 

Either there were still infected people on the ship when it set sail from Israel (and didn't have enough virus to test positive yet), or someone brought the virus on when they arrived in FL. Did they add any crew when they got here?

Sometimes the virus takes a really long time to incubate. That is my guess as to why the long delay, they are going to quarantine everything and make 1000% sure nobody is infected.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

I seem to recall that Pt Canaveral was doing Pfizer. But Odyssey got their first shots less than two weeks ago

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

What will happen if the July 31cruise happens and there are guests with positive cases onboard?  Logically there will be positive cases if they are allowing unvaccinated guests. Will they cancel the August 8 cruise or proceed with a new batch of guests?  I am wondering how they are going to handle this going forward because of course there will be some Covid cases on every ship departing from Florida. A part of me feels somewhat dumb for booking.  How is this going to work?  Realistically a handful of covid cases can be dealt with and sailings should go on, yet wondering if RCI going to react with an "abundance of caution" each time Covid presents on a ship.  

So far, all of the cases have been in persons who were vaccinated. I think you can drop the unvaccinated part.

Going forward, there will be cases period.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Either there were still infected people on the ship when it set sail from Israel (and didn't have enough virus to test positive yet), or someone brought the virus on when they arrived in FL. Did they add any crew when they got here?

I believe they added crew in Port Everglades after the crew was vaccinated in Port Canaveral. Chris Wong (a youtuber) vlogged his journey from the UK to Miami to Port Everglades to join the ship (and start his 14-day quarantine on the ship).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1