Art Auctions?

MikeKool

Most art sold is prints- some they have a few real brush strokes added.  I have seen a TV special about Park West- and do not understand how they are still in business.  I did notice however, that they have a few Fazzio's available that are legit, but you can order from a gallery on land and on line,  or directly and save money.  If you go with the understanding that you are purchasing a souvenir and don't spend much, enjoy.  

13 hours ago, iancal said:

If they generate revenue and help keep cruise prices down I am all for them.  They are easy to avoid.

I believe they are a bit of a joke.

I mean really....buying fine art or investment grade art on a cruise ship.  Give your head a shake. 

Almost akin to believing those worthless jewelry appraisal certificates that get given our like candy  (and are about as worthless) ton enhance sales in the Caribbean to luckless cruisers in stores like Diamonds International. 

A number of people just go for the entertainment value.  Not everybody is naïve or duped.   People that participate in trivia on board are not going to be Jeopardy champions either.  Some do things for fun.  Top reasons to go:

1) get free champagne 

2) participate in raffles and prizes

3) learn a little about the artists and paintings

4) get more free champagne

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MikeKool said:

Thank Goodness cause you don't know anything about art!

People who are duped and fall for the so called art scam on ships are often in denial. Instead of buying printed copies from Park West people should buy art from local artists. Both at the cruise ports and at home there is work done by artists whose work deserves to be considered for purchase. 

Another dynamic that hasn't yet been mentioned, the Park West employees are paid to interact with you.  When I went there were six employees in suits, they would all rotate but one would be performing the auction on the mic and another would physically be handling the art up for auction.  The four others would all interact with guests talking about whatever the guests want to talk about whether that's art or the next port.  They're paid to make you more comfortable and ideally stay there longer.

Just now, NutsAboutGolf said:

Another dynamic that hasn't yet been mentioned, the Park West employees are paid to interact with you.  When I went there were six employees in suits, they would all rotate but one would be performing the auction on the mic and another would physically be handling the art up for auction.  The four others would all interact with guests talking about whatever the guests want to talk about whether that's art or the next port.  They're paid to make you more comfortable and ideally stay there longer.

Not much different than the Spa employees offering free neck massages after the shows or in public areas.  Then getting you to sign up.  The purpose of the cruise is to entertain you and relieve you of your money in the nicest possible way.  We all know that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Or to encourage an elderly misinformed first timer to keep bidding, thereby adding to her already high pile of 5#17.

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not much different than the Spa employees offering free neck massages after the shows or in public areas.  Then getting you to sign up.  The purpose of the cruise is to entertain you and relieve you of your money in the nicest possible way.  We all know that.

Then the insole vultures….

I’m in the “to each their own” camp, It’s their money and they can do what they like with it. We find art a wonderful way to remember our cruises although we’ve never purchased on a cruise ship. We never purchase anything as an investment, simply things we like and enjoy and that works for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Oh how I would love to have one of those free neck massages right now!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MikeKool said:

Thank Goodness cause you don't know anything about art!

And you are just plain old mean because you do not like my comments. Others agree with me.

I would say people who understand art would laugh at Park West stuff.

When I was on Ncl Escape, the artist who painted the hull was on board. He was painting on canvas live in the lower atrium of ship and shared knowledge answered questions.

NOW that was worthwhile.

On 6/17/2021 at 8:38 AM, publicpersona said:

I'm totally supportive of the ones who say they have eyes wide open and buy things that please them anyway. Good on you for that.

That said, it saddens me the number of people who go to these auctions and, fueled by cheap prosecco, proceed to pay hundreds of dollars for basically a poster.

If how people decide to spend THEIR money saddens you…please tell us what you decide to spend YOUR money and perhaps we can assist in correcting the error of your ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

If how people decide to spend THEIR money saddens you…please tell us what you decide to spend YOUR money and perhaps we can assist in correcting the error of your ways.

I find most of this simply amusing. 

So far I have been called wealthy and gullible for purchasing Art on a ship.  Now people are sadden for me.  Yes, I have purchased A LOT!  I will continue to read along with a smile.  

Cheers everyone!

🥂

2 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

So far I have been called wealthy and gullible for purchasing Art on a ship.  Now people are sadden for me.  Yes, I have purchased A LOT!  I will continue to read along with a smile.  

I wasn't the one who called anyone wealthy and gullible. And I stipulated that if you enjoy buying the "art" for the process, or as souvenirs, or whatever brings you joy, then more power to you .. I don't question that at all. And I have absolutely no idea why *you* buy a lot of this "art".

But if  you do happen to be one of those who buy these things because they think they are getting a great deal on an investment, then yes, that saddens me. Someone in that category can just try to sell one of these things to determine whether the term gullible applies.

Edited by publicpersona

5 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And you are just plain old mean because you do not like my comments. Others agree with me.

I would say people who understand art would laugh at Park West stuff.

When I was on Ncl Escape, the artist who painted the hull was on board. He was painting on canvas live in the lower atrium of ship and shared knowledge answered questions.

NOW that was worthwhile.

See....you don't know what your talking about. The famous artist who did the hulls for NCL was the world famous Peter Max........and he's very well connected with Park West. I've met him several times at Park West events on land. Through Park West Gallery I've had the pleasure of meeting many famous artists........and I'm sure they are not laughing at Park West as you claim.

19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

To oversimply it, they use disingenuous and predatory sales tactics.  For that reason even if they offered a piece at a price I was satisfied with, on principle I don't want to enable them.

Same way I feel about car dealers!

I don’t know a whole bunch about art valuation but I am fairly knowledgeable about watches. If the art offerings are of similar caliber and pricing as their watches I’m fairly confident there were no bargains to be found on any of the cruises I’ve experienced.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeKool said:

See....you don't know what your talking about. The famous artist who did the hulls for NCL was the world famous Peter Max........and he's very well connected with Park West. I've met him several times at Park West events on land. Through Park West Gallery I've had the pleasure of meeting many famous artists........and I'm sure they are not laughing at Park West as you claim.

It was not Peter max. It was guy Harvey.

Meeting the artist is better than the sales people who work for Park West.

I rest my case because you are on a war path on this subject and also snippy.

May the wind blow you somewhere else

12 hours ago, Elkins45 said:

I don’t know a whole bunch about art valuation but I am fairly knowledgeable about watches. If the art offerings are of similar caliber and pricing as their watches I’m fairly confident there were no bargains to be found on any of the cruises I’ve experienced.

Agree

I have bought two cheap watches that died on 6 months.

And a lot of the T shirts are thin material as well.

I would never buy Park West art ever.

39 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Agree

I have bought two cheap watches that died on 6 months.

And a lot of the T shirts are thin material as well.

I would never buy Park West art ever.

Unless they put the art for sale on the $10 table with the t-shirts and watches.

People on these boards often use sweeping generalizations based on their personal experiences. If you do your research and are knowledgeable about art, watches or just about anything sold on ships you can make a good purchase. I have and I guess I’m not alone . One jeweler from California told me that he could purchase some Citizen watches for less on a ship than from his wholesaler. My DW bought a designer handbag on a ship for less than half the lowest price on the internet and that includes Ebay! Information is a friend of the consumer.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, MikeKool said:

I believe the hulls are painted by different artists. Peter Max did one as well as Guy Harvey.

1 minute ago, ORV said:

So getting back to the original question. Since cruising has RESTARTED, has anyone seen or heard reports of the art auctions on board? 

Good question.  There are two Apex live threads with a few on board actively posting and responding to questions.  Maybe ask there, I’d be interested to see what they say.