***CDC Lowers Travel Warning for Cruises***

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

A vaccine does NOT prevent you from catching COVID. It protects you from becoming seriously ill and dying WHEN you catch COVID. Going into crowds (cruise ships) without a mask will help you catch COVID and allow you vaccine you help you from becoming seriously ill and dying. 

Yep, fully vaccinated does not mean full immunity to COVID-19 or even ability to spread (yes, I know, GREATLY reduced.)

Which is why I don't understand either the reluctance or surprise of some vaccinated to take that extra precaution of masking up to get these ships sailing.

If they relax that restriction soon then this is a big ol' nothing-burger but I could see mask requirement for the first few months while testing the waters.

Small inconvenience to get back to doing what all of us here enjoy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tapi said:

Remember that the primary reason for the mask has always been, not to protect you, but to protect others from you. 

That has been the unfortunate data going around from the beginning, people didn't really know that a mask is to retain a sterile field, not to keep you from getting something.

I predict masking will be gone entirely except for personal preference by our cruise in September.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

If they relax that restriction soon then this is a big ol' nothing-burger but I could see mask requirement for the first few months while testing the waters

And if the mask requirements don't impact the business operations because no one will cancel like they say they will and lose money then maybe they stay forever for the health of the crew? And maybe because a serious outbreak on a ship of a variant that can evade vaccines might trigger a second global pandemic.

On 6/17/2021 at 4:14 PM, orville99 said:

Unfortunately buried in the notice is the reinstatement of the mask mandate for fully vaccinated passengers on cruise ships.

While I do not support in any way FL's legal claim and authority of the CDC, their meandering around measures and guidance last few weeks does give credence to the claim they're being "arbitrary and capricious". This guidance dance helps no one in this equation.

7 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Michael Bayley has made it clear that they do not want unvaccinated people on their ships. Vaccinated people are not going to be punished with a face muzzle. 

Not true. Vaccinated passengers will be required to wear masks on ships with no cap of unvaccinated passengers. Royal is one of the few lines allowing unlimited unvaccinated guests.

33 minutes ago, coaster said:

Not true. Vaccinated passengers will be required to wear masks on ships with no cap of unvaccinated passengers. Royal is one of the few lines allowing unlimited unvaccinated guests.

Also not true. You probably want to read their published protocols and passenger parameters.

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

A vaccine does NOT prevent you from catching COVID. It protects you from becoming seriously ill and dying WHEN you catch COVID. Going into crowds (cruise ships) without a mask will help you catch COVID and allow you vaccine you help you from becoming seriously ill and dying. 

There’s so much confusion and misinformation about this.

The vaccine makes you 95% less likely to contract Covid than someone who is not vaccinated. That’s what that statistic means. In the trials, a vaccinated person’s chances of getting Covid at all — symptomatic or otherwise — was .04%. 

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-explained.html

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

That has been the unfortunate data going around from the beginning, people didn't really know that a mask is to retain a sterile field, not to keep you from getting something.

I predict masking will be gone entirely except for personal preference by our cruise in September.

and worn by people that don't touch them, hang them on a rearview mirror, put them on a table with their keys on top, drop and put it back on the face.  There is no sterile environment the way they're constantly touched and where they go when in a restaurant etc. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 5:51 PM, Twitchly said:

There’s so much confusion and misinformation about this.

The vaccine makes you 95% less likely to contract Covid than someone who is not vaccinated. That’s what that statistic means. In the trials, a vaccinated person’s chances of getting Covid at all — symptomatic or otherwise — was .04%. 

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-explained.html

And how likely am I as a person with no symptoms to be spreading COVID? Go add up those numbers too.

If the vaccine crew mandates that everyone needs to care for other people, then by that definition, even the vaccinated should be wearing masks. There is a chance you could still be spreading COVID. 

On 6/17/2021 at 8:38 PM, Iamcruzin said:

And ignore the fact they are still supposed to be wearing a mask in public.  If they don't want to protect themselves why should it be my job to protect them?

Winner!  Winner!

It's not your job or anyone elses.  They made their choice, I respect that.  But it also means I'm under no obligation to change my behavior it the slightest bit to accommodate them.

• Like 1

Hmm....

CDC out of the blue relaxes restrictions....

The next day, Florida wins an injunction....

It's just a PR move so they can claim they were going to do this anyway.  They're in retreat mode.  I recall somone saying it was Florida that held all the cards...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2021 at 9:09 PM, Tapi said:

Remember that the primary reason for the mask has always been, not to protect you, but to protect others from you. 

Yes, it sucks that the vaccinated people are still required to wear a mask to protect those who are unvaccinated. I’ll leave it at that.

But the CDC and just about EVERY health expert are saying vaccinated people do not spread the virus. So being vaccinated negates the need to wear a mask.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 10:24 PM, BirdTravels said:

The vaccine greatly reduces your chances of catching Covid. NOTHING guarantees anything. Receiving a polio vaccine does not guarantee you will not get polio…it does greatly reduce the probability, though.

9 minutes ago, Threedrones said:

But the CDC and just about EVERY health expert are saying vaccinated people do not spread the virus.

Not quite what I’ve read. The discrepancy between what you’ve read and what I’ve read is a clear example of how poorly facts about this virus have been disseminated by various media outlets and people in power, each with their own agenda to advance. Not surprising why confusion still reigns. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Not quite what I’ve read. The discrepancy between what you’ve read and what I’ve read is a clear example of how poorly facts about this virus have been disseminated by various media outlets and people in power, each with their own agenda to advance. Not surprising why confusion still reigns. 

I haven't seen any documented cases of vaccinated people spreading covid. I'd love to see some if you have it.

Sure plenty of people say it could happen, but has it?

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 7:09 PM, Tapi said:

That was the excuse given when "expert" guidance flipped from "don't wear masks they don't do anything" to "masks are key" almost literally overnight.

Even the mask study cited by the CDC in the Florida lawsuit got ripped to shreds by the judge for it being meaningless.

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I haven't seen any documented cases of vaccinated people spreading covid. I'd love to see some if you have it.

Sure plenty of people say it could happen, but has it?

Attempting once again to avoid disseminating inaccurate information, I can only repeat what the CDC has indicated. Straight from their website “We are still learning how well vaccines prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to others, even if you do not have symptoms”. 

in other words, anybody categorically claiming that vaccinated people DO spread COVID, or anybody claiming that vaccinated people DONT spread COVID is reaching their own conclusions and disseminating them as facts. 

In the absence of conclusive data, it’s best to err on the side of safety, which would be to continue wearing masks around unvaccinated people. I don’t like it, but in my humble opinion, its a sensible approach. 

We continue learning about this virus, and research is ongoing, which is why protocols and recommendations keep changing as we learn more; a concept that a lot of people don’t seem to grasp. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Attempting once again to avoid disseminating inaccurate information, I can only repeat what the CDC has indicated. Straight from their website “We are still learning how well vaccines prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to others, even if you do not have symptoms”. 

in other words, anybody categorically claiming that vaccinated people DO spread COVID, or anybody claiming that vaccinated people DONT spread COVID is reaching their own conclusions and disseminating them as facts. 

In the absence of conclusive data, it’s best to err on the side of safety, which would be to continue wearing masks around unvaccinated people. I don’t like it, but in my humble opinion, its a sensible approach. 

We continue learning about this virus, and research is ongoing, which is why protocols and recommendations keep changing as we learn more; a concept that a lot of people don’t seem to grasp. 

So there are no documented cases of vaccinated people spreading covid. If there were, it'd be front page news. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

So there are no documented cases of vaccinated people spreading covid. If there were, it'd be front page news. 

As I mentioned above, people are taking inconclusive data and reaching their own conclusions. There will be a day when your question will be categorically answered. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

there are those people who claim they got covid 3x and those who got covid from the vaccine (have actually met people like this).  If anyone gets covid if vaccinated, chances are they don't even know.  I also look to see if there are documented outbreaks.

On 6/17/2021 at 9:05 PM, coffeebean said:

The CDC is regressing

Went and read every word....nothing but contradiction X100!  No one can interpret exactly what they are saying nor whether it is "required" or "recommended", I don't intend to mask up on our cruise and that's all I have to say about that....😛

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tapi said:

..................In the absence of conclusive data, it’s best to err on the side of safety, which would be to continue wearing masks around unvaccinated people. I don’t like it, but in my humble opinion, its a sensible approach. ...............

CDC guidelines for vaccinated people does not agree with this mask wearing around un-vaccinated people. Why should I, fully vaxxed, protect those who do not want to protect themselves with a vaccine? Sorry, I'm not going to protect them at this point. Anyone who can not take the vaccine will just have to make sure they protect themselves by wearing an N95 mask in public.

I'm already doing my part to protect others by being vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine. There is plenty of data which has proven that fully vaccinated people have a very minimal risk of spreading the virus.

This is the reason for updated CDC guidelines for vaccinated people. Fully vaccinated people do not have to quarantine if they are exposed to a KNOWN Covid positive person unless that person is symptomatic for Covid. There is data to back that up.

• Like 3