Jump to content

get rid of smoking in the casino


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ramja96 said:

 

Should they ban breathing, too?

You should realize that normal respiration is not nearly as forceful as exhaling cigarette smoke. What you said is just plain silly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

It'd be nice of Royal followed NCL and started putting an enclosed smoking section in their casinos. The smokers get to inhale all the smoke they want without bothering other passengers. 

WOW....that is a bonus. I haven't been on one of those newest NCL ships yet. That sounds awesome!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ryano said:

 

 

Yes, I realize that.  So the question is, since Royal Caribbean also owns Celebrity, why arent all RC ships smoke free as well?     Im sure this question gets asked thousands of times a year.   Dont see it happening on RC ships.    I just avoid the casino. 

OK......someone has to say it. The demographic on Celebrity is a bit older and dare I say, wiser. There are not too many smokers in the older group, myself included. I remember sailing on a Celebrity ship with a smoke free casino and it was absolutely glorious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

WOW....that is a bonus. I haven't been on one of those newest NCL ships yet. That sounds awesome!!!

 

Bliss and Encore are the two with it. Encore's only "outdoors" smoking area is actually a completely enclosed space too so you can hang near that spot and not worry. I'm hoping the Prima class they recently announced segregates it too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, smplybcause said:

 

Bliss and Encore are the two with it. Encore's only "outdoors" smoking area is actually a completely enclosed space too so you can hang near that spot and not worry. I'm hoping the Prima class they recently announced segregates it too. 

Thank you for that information. ANOTHER reason to give NCL our vacation dollars. Awesome can not get any better!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you don't like other cruisers smoking in the casino, switch to Celebrity or MSC. We switched to Celebrity and WOW, what a difference. The celebrity casinos are like betting in an outdoor park with nice fresh air compared to Royal which is like betting inside an ice hockey player's equipment bag.   😵

 

Royal has effectively been shut down for the past 15 months. There is no way in heck they would risk alienating a significant portion of their cruising customers by eliminating smoking in the casinos now. They need the revenues  💲 💲 too much to do that. And quite frankly, they know the Royal cruise addicts, who are non smokers,  might complain a little bit but they won't vote with their dollars. They are hooked much to well for that.  😉

 

Edited by DirtyDawg
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Usually do 4-5 10+ niters on Serenade. Once or twice a Sailing while they are refueling the Casino(even though closed) is the only place on the Ship to Smoke, this for Hours. Ban it there they'd have to create another indoor Smoking area

Wow that's kinda interesting so they refuel on the port side so no one can smoke in the outdoor areas since they are all on the port side?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

What you said is just plain silly.

 

Then my job is done, since this discussion always sinks into the depths of pointlessness.

Edited by ramja96
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ljason913 said:

i love to play tables but i dont smoke i am very disappointed that they are allowing people to smoke...who can we speak to about this maybe they will change there mind.

Maybe sail on celebrity or whatever other lines that are smoke free.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sort of on both sides of this argument. I don't smoke cigarettes, but enjoy a cigar from time to time. I'm always happy to smoke those outside in the designated area -- and enjoyed my one trip on Liberty with its cigar lounge (I enjoy Anthem's outdoor "bus stop" as well). But in truth, I hate cigarette smoke (while cigars are pure tobacco, cigarettes are full of nasty chemicals) in the casino. Looking forward to my trip on Celebrity Edge, which has a smoke-free casino and an excellent Deck 15 outdoor smoking lounge.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, smoking should be banned in the casinos!

 

Does anyone have any statistics on smoker/gambler demographics over time? I feel that the percentage of gamblers who smoke may have slowly declined over the past 5 years or so, and I'm optimistic that we may eventually reach a point where Royal will actually make more in casino profits by banning smoking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BOOKBOOKBOOK said:

Agreed, smoking should be banned in the casinos!

 

Does anyone have any statistics on smoker/gambler demographics over time? I feel that the percentage of gamblers who smoke may have slowly declined over the past 5 years or so, and I'm optimistic that we may eventually reach a point where Royal will actually make more in casino profits by banning smoking.

 

From the CDC site, "Current smoking has declined from 20.9% (nearly 21 of every 100 adults) in 2005 to 14.0% (14 of every 100 adults) in 2019, and the proportion of ever smokers who have quit has increased."

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/index.htm

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BOOKBOOKBOOK said:

Agreed, smoking should be banned in the casinos!

 

Does anyone have any statistics on smoker/gambler demographics over time? I feel that the percentage of gamblers who smoke may have slowly declined over the past 5 years or so, and I'm optimistic that we may eventually reach a point where Royal will actually make more in casino profits by banning smoking.

It's hard to tell the demographics of smokers/gamblers on RCCL, as the casino is usually full of people hanging out there smoking and not gambling.....    As someone here once said, the casino has become a smoking lounge with slot machines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

It's hard to tell the demographics of smokers/gamblers on RCCL, as the casino is usually full of people hanging out there smoking and not gambling.....    As someone here once said, the casino has become a smoking lounge with slot machines.

 

According to the CDC site 14% of Americans are smokers.  I feel that any percentage RCI loses due to not allowing smoking on cruise ship casinos, they will more than make up by the 86 percent of those who do not smoke and would prefer a smokeless casino. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

 

According to the CDC site 14% of Americans are smokers.  I feel that any percentage RCI loses due to not allowing smoking on cruise ship casinos, they will more than make up by the 86 percent of those who do not smoke and would prefer a smokeless casino. 

Since they are the ones with the most accurate numbers and demographics and they haven't made any changes it would lead me to conclude that they feel that they would not make up any loses by banning smoking. As in any business money talks and decisions are generally made based on which decision increases revenue the most.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Celebrity has done it.  Unless i'm mistaken all of their cruises are smoke free.

Celebrity's cruises aren't smoke free. Just no inside smoking on any of their ships. RC should follow Celebrity's lead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sparks1093 said:

Since they are the ones with the most accurate numbers and demographics and they haven't made any changes it would lead me to conclude that they feel that they would not make up any loses by banning smoking. As in any business money talks and decisions are generally made based on which decision increases revenue the most.

 

Yes, you are probably right, but they haven't tested the no smoking in the casino in quite some time, and as others have said, smoking has gone down from prior years.  If they were to retest, they might find a different outcome -- especially after Covid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ljason913 said:

i love to play tables but i dont smoke i am very disappointed that they are allowing people to smoke...who can we speak to about this maybe they will change there mind.

I am in the same boat ,no pun intended.I cannot recall the last time I played a table game.On a cruise a few years ago I decided to wait for an empty table .Then I sat down. A few minutes later a guy sat down and proceeded to light a cigarette .I offered him $20 to not smoke so that I could play .He was not interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

 

Yes, you are probably right, but they haven't tested the no smoking in the casino in quite some time, and as others have said, smoking has gone down from prior years.  If they were to retest, they might find a different outcome -- especially after Covid. 

They have all of the latest data (or very likely do) and that data doesn't support making any changes. Testing only takes place after other indicators show that a change might be in order.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

They have all of the latest data (or very likely do) and that data doesn't support making any changes. Testing only takes place after other indicators show that a change might be in order.

 

There is one huge change and that is Covid.  If I were a RCI decision maker, I would do another test on one ship maybe, to check the results. They might be surprised with the number of non-smokers that show up to gamble.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...