Jump to content

Prepaid Gratuities


Recommended Posts

I pre-pay just to have the expense out of the way.  Exception.... if I have a significant amount of OBC, I will let them take the grats out of that pot while I'm onboard.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I normally prepay to lock in the price and avoid the annual price increase but right now with the current situation, I'm paying on my ships account as there's too much uncertainty right now, better in my pocket for the time being.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, tony s said:

We never do as the one time we did the service was beyond horrible. We pay at end and usually add extra

We had one cruise where the service was terrible, I went down to comment and right away they credited our account ..no issues..I was very surprised..I think they had a lot of complaints that cruise

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We prepay for the same reasons listed above. One less thing to pay for while on the ship and lock in the price. We have had great service on our cruises. Every once in a while we get a crew member that is not so great but we try to write it off as a bad day for that person. Definitely have never had such poor service throughout an entire cruise so as to not want to pay the gratuities. We actually usually tip on the ship as well if we are getting good service from certain crew members. Can't wait to get back on the ship!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I pre-pay just to have the expense out of the way.  Exception.... if I have a significant amount of OBC, I will let them take the grats out of that pot while I'm onboard.

 I thought you couldn't use obc (at least the nonrefundable) for gratuities?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, julig22 said:

 I thought you couldn't use obc (at least the nonrefundable) for gratuities?

You are correct, depending who gives you the OBC. If it's from NCL, it's a no. If it's a TA it is likely ok to use for the DSC/Gratuities.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

Pay now or pay later.  Just a personal decision.  No difference.  I pay later.  

That makes two of us (and I believe based upon this thread that we are in a very small minority).  The only time I prepaid is when there was an imminent price increase between final payment date and sail date.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since I now have to pre-pay excursions, I won't be pre-paying gratuities because (fingers crossed) my intent is to have guest services refund excursion expenses to my account so I can use OBC.  Then the refunded money would pay gratuities.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@julig22

Per the following NCL Terms and Conditions,

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

 

Unless you (or NCL) cancel pre-booked excursion(s), you would NOT receive any OBC, because you pay the fully discounted (Up to $50 excursion credit and/or any Platinum Discount) upfront when booking!  

Edited by ggTexasGal
added info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

You are correct, depending who gives you the OBC. If it's from NCL, it's a no. If it's a TA it is likely ok to use for the DSC/Gratuities.  

I didn't know that. It makes sense, but doesn't work that way on Carnival. I assumed it would be the same. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I didn't know that. It makes sense, but doesn't work that way on Carnival. I assumed it would be the same. 

Yeah, many pax are surprised by this info, however, don't get Carnival and NCL confused.  Other than the fact that they both have cruise ships... other things can be quite different.  

Enjoy your cruise. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

@julig22

Per the following NCL Terms and Conditions,

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

 

Unless you (or NCL) cancel pre-booked excursion(s), you would NOT receive any OBC, because you pay the fully discounted (Up to $50 excursion credit and/or any Platinum Discount) upfront when booking!  

I think you misunderstood.  I have OBC that I want to use to pay for my excursions.  In the past, you just reserved your excursions and could use OBC to pay for them.  Now that you have to pre-pay, the only way to use OBC for excursions is to either wait until you are onboard and book then or, as I hope to do, refund my payment once onboard so I can use existing OBC.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...