Golf Cart Rental?

keels81

Hi! 

We'd like to rent a golf cart to explore restaurants/clubs and different beaches during our port stop, and I prefer to rent from someone that I can make a reservation with ahead of time versus someone right when we step off the ship that might hassle us.

I have a few names I found on TripAdvisor, but was hoping for a more personal recommendation. Thanks, y'all!

The one in port is probably your best bet.  You can't take these along the malecon.  They have to stay on the road.  The beaches is actually one beach.  You might be able to drive down to Maya Chan or Almaplena, but the roads were rough and doubt if they've improved.  The "restaurants/clubs" are just right next to each other, no real separation.  At present there few places open.  IMO, cheaper and better to take a taxi ands walk along the malecon, and discover the place for yourself  without the hassles of driving a cart.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:29 AM, crewsweeper said:

The one in port is probably your best bet.  You can't take these along the malecon.  They have to stay on the road.  The beaches is actually one beach.  You might be able to drive down to Maya Chan or Almaplena, but the roads were rough and doubt if they've improved.  The "restaurants/clubs" are just right next to each other, no real separation.  At present there few places open.  IMO, cheaper and better to take a taxi ands walk along the malecon, and discover the place for yourself  without the hassles of driving a cart.

I also don’t see the point of  a golf cart although some seem to enjoy them.

As Crew says, beach bars are all along one stretch in town, along a pedestrian-only way so you would have to park one street back and leave the cart anyway - not sure that makes much sense.

It may be worthwhile if you want to explore Nuevo Mahahual, or go down the dirt road but I am not sure how long it would take you and if insurance would cover you as far as Maya Chan. There used to be some small beach bars along the way but they were always unpredictable as to whether they were open, or still in existence, at the best of times and right now I would say chances are next to zero and not worth the time or effort.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:45 AM, crewsweeper said:

Hope they let you do this without the ship excursion.  Enjoy the scenery

Thanks -- we're on the Carnival Mardi Gras in October, so I'm cautiously optimistic at this point!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dont rent from the cruise line, go to Mayahaul Golf Cart rentals! They wear Red shirts just inside the entrance. Great price and great service. They are the locals and their place is just down the road, but they now are allowed a booth inside the gate and will bring your cart to you. Once off the ship the exit is hard to find. Make a hard left turn and go over the wooden foot bridge adjacent to the Dolphin pen. Continue into and thru an allyway to the Exit. The Mayahaul Booth is in the parking lot. Look them up on Face book and make a reservation . Carts starting at $60 for the day. Enjoy seeing the whole town !

4 hours ago, jimdalva said:

Dont rent from the cruise line, go to Mayahaul Golf Cart rentals! They wear Red shirts just inside the entrance. Great price and great service. They are the locals and their place is just down the road, but they now are allowed a booth inside the gate and will bring your cart to you. Once off the ship the exit is hard to find. Make a hard left turn and go over the wooden foot bridge adjacent to the Dolphin pen. Continue into and thru an allyway to the Exit. The Mayahaul Booth is in the parking lot. Look them up on Face book and make a reservation . Carts starting at $60 for the day. Enjoy seeing the whole town !

where would you suggest riding to since the Malecon is pedestrian only?

Do you go round the new town, or down the dirt road? I am wondering how many of the old bars are even open on the dirt road? What is there to see in the New town or do you simply enjoy driving golf carts?

Yes, the Malecon is pedestrian only? You drive on the parallel road just behind the shops and bars. Parking is easy , as you will be waved in at many shops to park in back. All the shops are open, The Krazy Lobster seems to have expanded into a shop that went under. We also toured/drove around the entire town, and even ventured on the dirt road at the end of the Malecon. And Yes, I simply enjoy driving golf carts!

• 4 months later...

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! we reserved an 8 person cart @ the agreed price of $100 - not available when we arrived - representative said "i will substitute 2 - 4 person carts for $80" we had to accept - no other choice - he took $80 and our sea pass card for "security" and requested his TIP - we had to give him another $10!! - when we returned the 2 carts we were told "there was a mistake you owe another $20!! to get your seapass cards back!! We had to give him another $10 to add to the $80 + $10 (tip?) we gave him before renting the carts.....very unpleasant experience AND the carts were in VERY poor shape - virtually NO brakes!

26 minutes ago, gshoe said:

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! we reserved an 8 person cart @ the agreed price of $100 - not available when we arrived - representative said "i will substitute 2 - 4 person carts for $80" we had to accept - no other choice - he took $80 and our sea pass card for "security" and requested his TIP - we had to give him another $10!! - when we returned the 2 carts we were told "there was a mistake you owe another $20!! to get your seapass cards back!! We had to give him another $10 to add to the $80 + $10 (tip?) we gave him before renting the carts.....very unpleasant experience AND the carts were in VERY poor shape - virtually NO brakes!

Sorry for your bad experience. Which company?

where did you go - was it worth renting as opposed to taxi? 

Was the rental inside the port? How did you get back in through security without your sea passes? - they asked to see them if you are in a taxi.

Edited by c-leg5