Antarctica/ South America winter 2021

kimanjo

I saw this news today as well. It's certainly encouraging for those of us books on and hoping to travel on Antartica cruises this winter. There are still doubtless many details to be worked out, and questions for which we'll need to wait longer for answers -- but this is a huge step in the right direction.

For those of us scheduled to travel through Chile, hopefully there will be some good news from the Chilean government as well within the next month or so.

On 7/1/2021 at 6:08 AM, kimanjo said:

Anyone previously who has done Antarctica with Silversea ( I thought winter 2019 there were some posters here who were on those last pre-covid shutdown sailings?).  How slow was the Wifi?

DH is still a working person, who has to check and answer his emails everyday, probably once very early in the morning 5 a.m ish. and once in the p.m.  Maybe for an hour each time.   I found an old post from 2016 saying it was painfully slow.  Even just for email?

We were on the Cloud in January, 2020.  Email text reading and responding is a breeze.  Downloading or uploading files is nearly impossible.  As long as he keeps it simple, he’ll be fine.

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

We were on the Cloud in January, 2020.  Email text reading and responding is a breeze.  Downloading or uploading files is nearly impossible.  As long as he keeps it simple, he’ll be fine.

Excellent!  Thanks so much, I knew there was someone on here who was on the last? sailing before the s**t hit the fan.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 10:03 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Stumblefoot ( hope you read this)

Another question.  re: Parka.

1.  Is the parka Haglofs?  

2. How is the sizing?  

3. It looks to be the Haglofs ROC Gortex outer jacket, and a "puffer" inner jacket.  Is the inner jacket down, or fiberfill?

Fingers crossed our November sailing on the Cloud is a go.  Fingers crossed.  Always been a glass half full kinda gal. I just looked at the hotel we are staying at I booked in Santiago, and the pool and gym reopened.  I'm taking that as a good sign.  And Chile is 60%+ fully vaxxed. I know we won't know anything til September probably, but trying to do some planning as I do some closet thinning.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, kimanjo said:

Stumblefoot ( hope you read this)

Another question.  re: Parka.

1.  Is the parka Haglofs?  

2. How is the sizing?  

3. It looks to be the Haglofs ROC Gortex outer jacket, and a "puffer" inner jacket.  Is the inner jacket down, or fiberfill?

You have one heck of an eye, kimanjo!  Indeed, yes, the parka is made by Haglöfs out of Sweden.

We found the sizing runs about one size smaller than American arctic brands such as Spyder and Bogner.

The outer jacket is a soft shell made of Pertex Microlight.  The inner jacket features Haglöfs's Quad+ Fusion technology which has a state of the art crimped hollow fiber in the middle layer sandwiched between two outer layers of multichannel fibers.

Hope this helped!

29 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

You have one heck of an eye, kimanjo!  Indeed, yes, the parka is made by Haglöfs out of Sweden.

We found the sizing runs about one size smaller than American arctic brands such as Spyder and Bogner.

The outer jacket is a soft shell made of Pertex Microlight.  The inner jacket features Haglöfs's Quad+ Fusion technology which has a state of the art crimped hollow fiber in the middle layer sandwiched between two outer layers of multichannel fibers.

Hope this helped!

It helps a lot!  The sizing info too.   DH doesn't really own a cold weather vest or jacket.  So, if he can make it from our home to Punta Arenas wearing just a fleece pullover, he doesn't need to buy a jacket, and can plan on packing layers and using the supplied parka.  Then, he can use the puff jacket as his "cold weather" next year when we do more cooler climate travels.  We got rid of all of our New England ski jackets years ago, and he's managed to get by without one.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 1:16 AM, kimanjo said:

It helps a lot!  The sizing info too.   DH doesn't really own a cold weather vest or jacket.  So, if he can make it from our home to Punta Arenas wearing just a fleece pullover, he doesn't need to buy a jacket, and can plan on packing layers and using the supplied parka.  Then, he can use the puff jacket as his "cold weather" next year when we do more cooler climate travels.  We got rid of all of our New England ski jackets years ago, and he's managed to get by without one.  

A couple of layers and fleece pullover will be fine for travel/arrival at Punta Arenas and your parka will be in your cabin when you get into it on the ship.  The parka is so useful later both as a wind/waterproof outer, as a good winterproof jacket when the outer and inner are worn in tandem and the inner makes a lightweight extra outer layer which works for cooler days or even quite cold days, the technology which has gone into the filling of the inner means it works well on cool and really quite cold days and I am truly a chilly mortal so feel well qualified to talk it up!!

1 hour ago, labrasett said:

A couple of layers and fleece pullover will be fine for travel/arrival at Punta Arenas and your parka will be in your cabin when you get into it on the ship.  The parka is so useful later both as a wind/waterproof outer, as a good winterproof jacket when the outer and inner are worn in tandem and the inner makes a lightweight extra outer layer which works for cooler days or even quite cold days, the technology which has gone into the filling of the inner means it works well on cool and really quite cold days and I am truly a chilly mortal so feel well qualified to talk it up!!

Perfect!!!!

The SS parka also has my favorite hood of any winter jacket I've ever had. It has enough structure in the lip so it stays up and out of your face, yet toward enough to keep rain from hitting your face. (Okay, it's harder to describe in words than it is to experience. 😉)  I'm looking forward to, hopefully, adding a second such parka to my collection this winter if the Antarctica cruises sail. 

Looks like Uruguay is opening to tourists November 1st.  Hopefully, Chile, which is about as vaccinated as Uruguay will be doing the same.  Fingers crossed for those of us who have a cruise which involves a Chilean port. Am watching all of South America with great interest.

https://vegannews.co/uruguay-opens-its-borders-from-september-1/8395/

• 3 weeks later...

Some GOOD News ---

It's official, Argentina announced the opening of the 2021/2022 bi-oceanic and Antarctic cruise season next 20 October. The administrative resolution 834/2021 was published in the Official Gazette, triggering immediate satisfaction from Tierra del Fuego province whose governor contacted the Tourism and Sports minister Matías Lammens.

Tierra del Fuego governor Gustavo Melella and the head of the provincial Tourism Institute Dante Querciali held a zoon conference with minister Lammens to thank him for his efforts in having the sanitary protocols approved for the progressive opening of cruise activities in Ushuaia. The minister admitted it was not an easy job, but underlined the work and time from all those who helped in the task and even when “the sanitary situation was the priority, we also understood how important it is for the Tierra del Fuego people and their economy, the cruise industry”.

He added “thanks for your patience, confidence and support, and remember you will always have an ally in me to continue working in promoting tourism and hopefully we can reap the benefits of a successful 2021/22 cruise season”.

Governor Melella also pointed out the work deployed by the Ministry of Health Care and the Strategic Vaccination program in Tierra del Fuego with over 50% of the local population immunized and its significance “in creating a positive sanitary situation”.

“We are ready to receive cruise visitors, we will ensure compliance with the strict protocols, both from our officials and from the private sector, extensive to those landing as well as confirming that we can keep our city's sanitary condition, well protected from the virus”.

“Our people can be certain that arriving cruise visitors will comply with the protocols and all the necessary sanitary precautions will be in place and effective”, explained deputy governor Monica Urquiza. The return of the cruise vessels with the Antarctica option is great news for our tourism industry, and strategically and geopolitically for Argentina”.

Last July Ushuaia port authorities revealed they had requests for over 400 calls involving 68 cruise vessels, between October and May 2022

https://en.mercopress.com/2021/08/26/celebration-in-ushuaia-cruise-season-authorized-to-begin-on-20-october

• Thanks 3

On 8/10/2021 at 1:12 PM, kimanjo said:

Looks like Uruguay is opening to tourists November 1st.  Hopefully, Chile, which is about as vaccinated as Uruguay will be doing the same.  Fingers crossed for those of us who have a cruise which involves a Chilean port. Am watching all of South America with great interest.

Super appreciate these great details and follow-ups from our two experienced travelers from Florida.  Very helpful, hopeful and positive news from South America.

As I might have mentioned earlier, we have been eyeing a 21-day, early February, Seabourn, Buenos Aires to San Antonio (Santiago), Chile, adventure.  This includes six net days in and on Antarctica.  Have not booked yet as those "uncertainties" down there concern us.  Now, unfortunately, the Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations are spiking up in many parts of the U.S.  We will keep monitoring and watching with personal interest.  

Keep up the great sharing.  Much appreciated!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,521 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

5 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Some GOOD News ---

It's official, Argentina announced the opening of the 2021/2022 bi-oceanic and Antarctic cruise season next 20 October. The administrative resolution 834/2021 was published in the Official Gazette, triggering immediate satisfaction from Tierra del Fuego province whose governor contacted the Tourism and Sports minister Matías Lammens.

Thanks Paul!!!!

We are on November Chile  Puenta Arenas to Ushuaia  Antarctic.  I'm still betting Chile WILL open up.  I believe Chile is 68%+ vaccinated.  Too much $$$$ at stake.

And if Chile doesn't, then at least SS can take Chile out of the loop, and sail r/t USH. At least they have an alternative.

Interesting movement of a new Ponant ship.  LE COMMANDANT CHARCOT has left Hornsund Norway and is enroute to Mobjack Bay Virginia  USA ...  Her first sailing is set to depart from Puerto Montt Chile  November 1st.  So, she's heading in the right direction!!

I had been watching her move about the Svalbard, in and out of bays.  Wonder if she was testing her out with the crew, expedition staff etc... I hope this is a early sign for those us booked on Antarctica this season.  

Marinetraffic.com

55 minutes ago, etual324 said:

Hoping the Sliver Wind conversion is completed on time !!!!

Indeed! Since they have 4 to 4 1/2  months in Poland, versus the two month originally planned in Italy, I would hope they can get the work done on time. This shipyard has never done this type of work on a luxury cruise vessel, so combining tat with possible Covid limitations n the workforce and global supply chain issues, it's understandable it would take more time. But it would be mighty sad if they couldn't complete the work by early October in time to onboard the staff and provisions and sail for South America. 

Thank you for posting this latest information regarding Antartica cruising from Punta Arenas, Chile.  I could not help but focus on the mandatory quarantine at an approved transit hotel upon arrival in Punta Arenas.  I wonder why they chose not to specify the length of this quarantine.   I understand why they would do this to help create a 'bubble' before embarking on the journey to Antartica but it could add multiple days to an already long vacation.  Mine, for example, is a 19 day cruise and I had planned on a couple additional days on the front end for exploration but I read arriving passengers into Santiago are required to remain quarantined until they board the charter flight south.  Lots of things to consider but the link provides some very encouraging news. 

Edited by goldengatecruisers

@pickwright Thanks for posting that. This seems to not apply to those of us booked on flights to Santiago followed by a charter flight to Ushuaia, Argentina. The government of Argentina has recently announced cruising from Ushuaia will be allowed starting in November, but it seems to remain uncertain whether we can get there!

Or will SS move the cruise start and end from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas? The unclear quarantine requirement for Punta Arenas seems a potentially significant stumbling block. Maybe the Chilean authorities want to get some tourist dollars from hotel stays in Punta Arenas? Or perhaps they will clarify that travelers going directly between the airport and cruise ship don't need to quarantine?

As always, every answered question begets more questions!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pickwright said:

Thank you!!  I suspected this  (bubble) is what would happen in order for this upcoming season to take place. I don't think this sounds too bad at all.  Fly in, they'll maybe? bus pax directly to a singular,  dedicated hotel.  Have the pax in their rooms. Shuttle them to the airport next am for charter flight to PA, overnight in dedicated hotel there, then shuttle to ship for boarding next day.  Sounds like a plan.

So, in our case, fly into Santiago, overnight in SCL, then onto PA, overnight in PA, then next day board ship.  On the way back, disembark in USH, bubble bus, charter flight to Santiago, day room for "bubble" room, then bubble bus to Santiago airport.  

ALL pax going from bubble to bubble.

Edited by kimanjo

@kimanjo Yes, I've been anticipating that we may not be able to explore Santiago, and will instead be confined to a hotel for the day between arrival and charter flight out. That will be disappointing, and make for a long and boring day since flights from the US arrive in the early morning -- but if it gets us to Antarctica without another year of delay, I'm all in!

If you have a cruise that departs from Punta Arenas, this looks like a solid plan, except for the confusing requirement to quarantine in a hotel in Punta Arenas for an unspecified time.

If you have a cruise that departs from Ushuaia, like us, then there are still multiple question marks. But at least the trend seems to be moving in the right direction. 🤞

5 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

Thank you!!  I suspected this  (bubble) is what would happen in order for this upcoming season to take place. I don't think this sounds too bad at all.  Fly in, they'll maybe? bus pax directly to a singular,  dedicated hotel.  Have the pax in their rooms. Shuttle them to the airport next am for charter flight to PA, overnight in dedicated hotel there, then shuttle to ship for boarding next day.  Sounds like a plan.

So, in our case, fly into Santiago, overnight in SCL, then onto PA, overnight in PA, then next day board ship.  On the way back, disembark in USH, bubble bus, charter flight to Santiago, day room for "bubble" room, then bubble bus to Santiago airport.  

ALL pax going from bubble to bubble.

Agree, we have already sailed twice in the Caribbean since July 3rd.  The testing and "bubble" requirements of the Chilean COVID protocols are no problem.

On 7/1/2021 at 7:08 AM, kimanjo said:

A little off topic, I didn't want to start a new thread for just this question.  Anyone previously who has done Antarctica with Silversea ( I thought winter 2019 there were some posters here who were on those last pre-covid shutdown sailings?).  How slow was the Wifi?

DH is still a working person, who has to check and answer his emails everyday, probably once very early in the morning 5 a.m ish. and once in the p.m.  Maybe for an hour each time.   I found an old post from 2016 saying it was painfully slow.  Even just for email? Any improvement in speed since 2016?

Thanks!

I was on Silver Cloud in Dec 2019.  The wifi worked fine for email, posting pics to FB, and similar.  DId not try to stream.  I was actually surprised how well it worked - only one day in Drake passage on way back was it "iffy"

3 hours ago, bethtex said:

I was on Silver Cloud in Dec 2019.  The wifi worked fine for email, posting pics to FB, and similar.  DId not try to stream.  I was actually surprised how well it worked - only one day in Drake passage on way back was it "iffy"

Great!  We don't do FB or stream anything.  Just needed for DH's email checkin for work.

Hooray! Just got this from my TA for our 12/21 Silver Cloud cruise.

Dear Valued Travel Partner,

We are contacting you today with excellent news related to your client’s upcoming Antarctica voyage.

Driven by our commitment to delivering the most enriching, immersive travel experiences to our guests, our team has worked closely with authorities in Chile and other governing bodies to facilitate the departure of your client’s voyage.

We are delighted to inform you that we have been permitted to depart for Antarctica from Punta Arenas, Chile – a fantastic gateway to the Final Continent, which will replace Ushuaia for both embarkation and disembarkation.

In Santiago, our guests will enjoy a dinner and an overnight stay in a 5-star hotel, before boarding a charter flight the following morning for Punta Arenas, where they will embark the ship. As well as favourable flight times and preferable immigration procedures, Punta Arenas offers excellent services and a strong infrastructure.

I hope you share my excitement for the Antarctic adventure that awaits your client. We will be in contact in the near future as additional details become available. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact your Silversea representative should you or your client require assistance.

We look forward to welcoming our guests on board for the voyage of a lifetime. 

Kind regards,

Barbara Muckermann

Chief Commercial Officer 

Edited by taxatty