Travel Insurance

Debra_Murdock

I would be glad if someone can answer this question.

If you get a positive PCR test results just before your return in Canada. Do you have to stay( in my case Florida ) until you are no more positive ?? 

I mean to stay at an Hotel at your own expenses, meals etc.

If so,  my insurance told me I'm not covered for these types of issues. Which other insurance compagny in Canada would sell me this type of protection if needed ?

Thank you !

Thechamp555

• Like 1

Have you looked into CAA travel insurance?  I was on the Alberta Motor Association website last night and hope to go to their office this morning to inquire about insurance because I just booked us for the Rocky Mountaineer and want to insure that trip due to the high cost.  CAA does have Covid coverage, with Orion Travel Insurance Company, if you are partially or fully vaxxed...  Here is a link to the AMA website on the Covid travel insurance:  https://www.amatravel.ca/travel-medical-insurance/covid19-endorsement 

I'll try to report back later (have a busy day today) what I find out although we're more interested in cancellation/trip interruption for our trip.  But Covid will come into play because I've read we'll have to take a Covid test the night before the train, even though we're fully vaxxed.  My fear is that we could test positive and not be able to go at the very last minute.

14 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Have you looked into CAA travel insurance?  I was on the Alberta Motor Association website last night and hope to go to their office this morning to inquire about insurance because I just booked us for the Rocky Mountaineer and want to insure that trip due to the high cost.  CAA does have Covid coverage, with Orion Travel Insurance Company, if you are partially or fully vaxxed...  Here is a link to the AMA website on the Covid travel insurance:  https://www.amatravel.ca/travel-medical-insurance/covid19-endorsement 

I'll try to report back later (have a busy day today) what I find out although we're more interested in cancellation/trip interruption for our trip.  But Covid will come into play because I've read we'll have to take a Covid test the night before the train, even though we're fully vaxxed.  My fear is that we could test positive and not be able to go at the very last minute.

HI AQ.  Thanks for the tip on CAA travel insurance.  I'll look them up.  OMG, you're booked on the Rocky M.  Is that this year?  I went to a presentation at CAA two years ago and it looks like a wonderful trip.  Costly.

17 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

If you taking about an upcoming cruise. Compagnies have protection for people who would be positive to Covid just before the departure from home or at their return. Mine is Celebrity and they have this protection.

Regarding insurance, we are covered with the health part while on the cruise but I have been having difficulty finding a company that specifically covers your investment from final payment to cruise time.

If the medical problem is ours and is unexpected and there have been no Rx changes, etc we can find coverage.

However we have been told that the pandemic is not a valid reason for cancellation as this is treated as a pre-existing condition (just like personal medical). We would have known about it as it was in effect at the time of booking. (The example one insurer gave was if your brother is terminal and dies, this is not accepted for reason for cancellation). If the Canadian advisory is not to travel, then insurance is in question. 
The problem we see is if the US is open for cruising and Canada is closed or closes again. Asked our TA if the cruise line would refund in that case (Oceania) and she did not know but was going to ask the question.
My experience with insurance companies is you have to ask the specific question and even then, if it is not in writing ….

On 7/10/2021 at 11:11 PM, Sue from Canada said:

HI AQ.  Thanks for the tip on CAA travel insurance.  I'll look them up.  OMG, you're booked on the Rocky M.  Is that this year?  I went to a presentation at CAA two years ago and it looks like a wonderful trip.  Costly.

Hey Sue! Sorry to have missed you on our Zoom call; hope it was a good nap!  Yes, we're booked on RM this year, at the end of August.  Yes, it's very expensive, particularly if one compares it to cruising!  But, they currently have a deal for BC/AB residents; if we purchase a journey (rail only) this year, they'll give us a voucher for a similar journey (same number of days/service level) within the next five years, so it's basically 2 for 1 - as long as we are able to use that voucher.  Since we have seen many of the sights in the Rockies multiple times due to living nearby, this makes the most sense for us rather than their tour packages which include those sights.  And it's been on DM's bucket list for years!  It's a good time to do it given we're reluctant to cruise right now and it's helping to support a Canadian industry after a lengthy shutdown.

We'll see what happens given the fire situation in BC.  Who knows, it could be cancelled due to fires.

As for the insurance question posted earlier, I have nothing to report.  The agent didn't know about  the what if situation I asked about so I would recommend doing the research yourself with your local CAA agent and get your answers that way.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

We are cruising from Nassau at the end of the month. We have medical insurance but have trouble finding a company that would give us Trip Cancellation and Interruption insurance for a cruise. Does anyone have luck locating a insurance company that will sell such a policy?   

3 minutes ago, gam888 said:

We are cruising from Nassau at the end of the month. We have medical insurance but have trouble finding a company that would give us Trip Cancellation and Interruption insurance for a cruise. Does anyone have luck locating a insurance company that will sell such a policy?   

Because of the level 4 travel alert issued by the Canadian government, no insurance are available at the moment apparently. Im looking for the same protection. Manulife is not, Blu Cross ?

• Like 1

Hi,

Website policyrates.ca is a good site to compare travel policies. Canadian site so the insurance on offer are Canadian based.

TravelGuard Insurance-provides Cruise coverage-options available to choose from

Another website that will search Canadian providers and contains good educational info on Medical, Trip cancellation is insure my trip.com

look for Cancel for any reason, pandemic coverage and pre-existing condition

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, smrgrl said:

Hi,

Website policyrates.ca is a good site to compare travel policies. Canadian site so the insurance on offer are Canadian based.

TravelGuard Insurance-provides Cruise coverage-options available to choose from

Another website that will search Canadian providers and contains good educational info on Medical, Trip cancellation is insure my trip.com

look for Cancel for any reason, pandemic coverage and pre-existing condition

Thank you.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:26 PM, Fouremco said:

Debra, Celebrity appears to have some sort of agreement with ManuLife. As I have different insurance, I've not looked at the details, but you might want to consider it:  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/cruise-insurance

My wife and I have annual coverage with Medoc Travel Insurance though Johnson Inc. As retired federal employees, it costs us a bit less as we get group coverage that takes into account our provincial medical coverage as well as the more generous Public Service Health Care Plan. I believe that they also provide insurance to individuals, so you should check them out. On our last cruise, DW had a medical issue that resulted in over $11K in medical and associated costs, including a delayed return to Canada from Amsterdam. We were out a few dollars for a couple of non-covered things like our dog's extended kennel stay, but the vast majority of costs were reimbursed without difficulty.

johnson.ca (website) • travelinsurance@johnson.ca (email) • 1-866-606-3362 (toll free)

We also have had Johnson (Medoc) insurance coverage for many years and had a couple of claims while on cruises.   I had a couple of stays in the medical office on the ship and it was very, very expensive.   Over $10,000 for a few days with meds etc.   We then had to book new flights home (earlier than planned) and our insurance covered those costs as well.   They were excellent to deal with (although it did take a few months).   We would not travel without that insurance in the future.

Debra, Celebrity appears to have some sort of agreement with ManuLife. As I have different insurance, I've not looked at the details, but you might want to consider it:  

My wife and I have annual coverage with Medoc Travel Insurance though Johnson Inc. As retired federal employees, it costs us a bit less as we get group coverage that takes into account our provincial medical coverage as well as the more generous Public Service Health Care Plan. I believe that they also provide insurance to individuals, so you should check them out. On our last cruise, DW had a medical issue that resulted in over $11K in medical and associated costs, including a delayed return to Canada from Amsterdam. We were out a few dollars for a couple of non-covered things like our dog's extended kennel stay, but the vast majority of costs were reimbursed without difficulty.

johnson.ca (website) • travelinsurance@johnson.ca (email) • 1-866-606-3362 (toll free)

We also have had Johnson (Medoc) insurance coverage for many years and had a couple of claims while on cruises.   I had a couple of stays in the medical office on the ship and it was very, very expensive.   Over $10,000 for a few days with meds etc.   We then had to book new flights home (earlier than planned) and our insurance covered those costs as well.   They were excellent to deal with (although it did take a few months).   We would not travel without that insurance in the future.

3 hours ago, mexico8 said:

We the existing warnings from the Canadian government. All possible coverage related to cruise are suspended. We are on a different world now in terms of Canadians insurance policies. 

I was just coming here to post that about the government level 4 warning.

I can't wait to see / hear how Don Terris (Don's Family Vacations on youtube) makes out with his upcoming cruise in July on The Edge out of Florida.

Edited by ilovetotravel1977
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those of you who have DB pensions it might be well worth your while to carefully look at any supplementary insurance that comes with it.

I retired ten years ago.  At that time travel insurance was not too expensive for us.  It is different now that we are in our very late 60's and one of us is on medication.   

My pension provides two month out of country medical/evac.  I did not think that this was such a big deal.   I did not realize the cost of this coverage or how the premium increases with age and/or pre-existing conditions. 

It is now..to the point where we typically cap our travels to 60 days or less.  We did  this twice a year pre covid-occasionally buying additional insurance when we went over the 60 day point.  This coverage saves us  an increasing amount of money each year.  Just hope that it continues since it is a benefit not an entitlement.   We had occasion to make an out of country claim a number of years ago.  It was handled promptly and we rec'd the full amount of our claim.

I mentioned this to a friend who routinely bought BCAA travel insurance and paid a great deal for it.  He carefully checked his DB pension plan and was surprised to find that it provided good, out of country medical/evac.    This was a benefit that was never highlighted to him on his retirement.  In his case the savings for him and his spouse are quite substantial.   

Edited by iancal

On 7/9/2021 at 2:40 PM, gnome12 said:

I buy trip cancellation/interruption insurance.

Have you been able to find this in Canada, separate from health insurance (which we have in an extended health benefits policy)?

Any coverage that we have found is very expensive - over 10% of the cost of the trip. As well it required 6 months of health stability prior to the purchase of the policy.

Just a note, Don on saturday said he bought the manulife travel insurance plan. Since his ship is leaving the 24 i hope he updates on whether its good enough. If its fine I'm just going to go with their single trip plan.

15 minutes ago, MStarzky said:

Just a note, Don on saturday said he bought the manulife travel insurance plan. Since his ship is leaving the 24 i hope he updates on whether its good enough. If its fine I'm just going to go with their single trip plan.

Base on the conversation I had with Manulife,it is impossible to buy a travel insurance for a cruise from a Canadian company. I would like to know more about it....