Insurance help please!

SpeedySal

I thought I had seen some chat about insurance somewhere in the Costa forum here but cannot find the thread so apologies for any repetition. I think some of you have mentioned getting insurance through Costa when booking but is this only for world cruises and/or is it dependent on nationality?

I have been told that for customers booking through the Costa U.K. website there is no insurance available at all and that what they offer is solely for Italians. I am a U.K. citizen but a Spanish resident.

I am having a very hard time trying to find any insurance to cover cruising presumably due to the Covid situation.  I have also discovered that the EHIC excludes cruises. Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Concerning EHIC you’re right, no treatment onboard is included, while all treatment on shore within Europe is covered according to the rules of the country you are treated. Although Costa sells Europ Assistance travel insurance through several of their sites with pretty much the same cover the prices are highly different. This is not depending on the type of cruise and without asking for nationality, but it might be limited to several target markets of Costa (I don’t know whether Europ Assistance is allowed to sell in the UK after Brexit). For my upcoming world cruise I paid 199 € on the Dutch site, while on the German site it was way above 1,000 € (plus higher price) and on their “rest of Europe” site (costacruises.eu), which is meant for the European states that have no national Costa site, travel insurance is sold for ridiculous 11 € per trip, regardless the duration. If you log in on mycosta.com there is a tab “MyCruise”, where you find “Insurance Service”. This might be an option.

I am afraid that telling company x, y or z offers good service is not allowed here. So you could try finding a travel insurer by search engine or through a portal that compares insurances. In my country of residence I have several of them and in some cases even special packages for cruises are offered, which should be available in Spain as well, since it is a way larger cruise market.

Thank you very much for your helpful, fast and much appreciated response. I will follow up your suggestions.

I noticed the €11 add-on somewhere - can’t cover much if anything!

Edited by SpeedySal
Repetition!

The 11 € police is not too bad, but no unlimited luxury police either. 58,200 for medical expenses, 2.600 for baggage, injuries on shore excursions up to 25,000 €, legal assistance, flight delays, cruise interruption and many other insured items. When I saw that cover first I was really surprised as well. Medical coverage is in line with standard conditions offered in my home market for travel insurance, the other conditions even above - except the price. Difference with the 199 € police I have for the world cruise is only that annulling is not included (again a high value at 30,000 € / person in the 199 € police). My only explanation for this is that Costa sells so many of these policies with little claims that it can be that cheap.

Interesting, sounds pretty good coverage for such a small charge. I think ALL Italians must take this out on their cruises.

I checked the Spanish site (costacruceros.es) and it looks like the same insurance costs €120. I could book via the Spanish or .eu sites and get the insurance added that way but the catch is that the actual cruise prices are quite a bit more expensive……I’ll have to keep researching or maybe go without insurance which I wouldn’t  really feel very happy to do.

I completely agree, although being very healthy I would never travel away from EU ground without additional health insurance or without baggage insurance if the bag is not behind me in my own trunk.

Pricing is a very different topic. I booked a couple of Costa cruises in Germany, some on the rest of Europe site, now first time in the Netherlands, always comparing the cruise I wanted against different prices plus the costs to get included I want. Prices and conditions always vary, in some cases even availability. Lately I got a “fully booked” response from .eu and .co.uk, but offers from .de and .nl.

You are right about comparisons on the different websites as it isn’t that straightforward as some include things ie.excursions which others don’t so you need to spend time doing your research and getting what you want.

If I can’t find an appropriate insurance deal and the EHIC covers for medical emergencies in port, I think I’ll take a chance on any cruises within the EU for now. 

Here’s hoping all the cruises all of us are planning to do will go ahead safely. Thanks again.

On MSC Mediterranean Cruises,  all passengers ( including fully vaccinated ) need to have a covid specific insurance.

This is mandatory, even if you are fully vaccinated or have antibodies from previous infection

What are the requirements on Costa?

Edited by drsel

Hmm…..I hope someone knows the answer to that, please! I think from reading here in this forum somewhere that MSC are offering their own insurance cover (or is theirs mandatory?) or otherwise they are therefore insisting passengers have their own cover? 
I would be very happy to take out Costa’s insurance but U.K. passengers are excluded. 

3 hours ago, drsel said:

On MSC Mediterranean Cruises,  all passengers ( including fully vaccinated ) need to have a covid specific insurance.

This is mandatory, even if you are fully vaccinated or have antibodies from previous infection

What are the requirements on Costa?

From the Costa website:

"Insurance is not mandatory, but we recommend you arrange some when booking the cruise. The insurance company we work with has agreed on a specific policy with particularly favourable contractual and premium conditions."

Further insurance is not mentioned at all.

33 minutes ago, SpeedySal said:

Hmm…..I hope someone knows the answer to that, please! I think from reading here in this forum somewhere that MSC are offering their own insurance cover (or is theirs mandatory?) or otherwise they are therefore insisting passengers have their own cover? 
I would be very happy to take out Costa’s insurance but U.K. passengers are excluded. 

I was reading the health policies on the Costa website and no where is it mentioned that the Covid specific insurance is mandatory, without which you will be denied boarding.

But they did mention that if you get Covid, you will have to bear all the expenses related to it, if your insurance does not cover it.

5 minutes ago, Stefan_Varong said:

From the Costa website:

"Insurance is not mandatory, but we recommend you arrange some when booking the cruise. The insurance company we work with has agreed on a specific policy with particularly favourable contractual and premium conditions."

Further insurance is not mentioned at all.

How do non Europeans buy this Covid specific policy from Costa for bookings made earlier?

can we do it on the phone a few months in advance, before final payment date,  after final payment date, or on the spot at the Cruise terminal at the time of boarding The Cruise?

Edited by drsel

Well, it’s always you, who is responsible to pay for all onboard treatment! An insurance company can only pay on your behalf or reimburse the costs you made.

I never tried to add insurance later, but there is an option in mycosta to upgrade insurance, perhaps you have the possibility to get it there. Depending on the market where Costa sells insurance cancellation is included in the police, in this case it might be a problem (the insurance company might think you want to add insurance long after booking, just because you have already now a reason to cancel and you want their money to cover your deposit). Costa has an insurance company that definitely may sell polices in the EU and likely not to customers in the UK.

No idea how it is in your country. Anyway, just for health, baggage and some other less likely things you should be able to get travel insurance at home as well, just cancellation might be a problem by the reasons I already mentioned.

21 minutes ago, Stefan_Varong said:

Well, it’s always you, who is responsible to pay for all onboard treatment! An insurance company can only pay on your behalf or reimburse the costs you made.

I never tried to add insurance later, but there is an option in mycosta to upgrade insurance, perhaps you have the possibility to get it there. Depending on the market where Costa sells insurance cancellation is included in the police, in this case it might be a problem (the insurance company might think you want to add insurance long after booking, just because you have already now a reason to cancel and you want their money to cover your deposit). Costa has an insurance company that definitely may sell polices in the EU and likely not to customers in the UK.

No idea how it is in your country. Anyway, just for health, baggage and some other less likely things you should be able to get travel insurance at home as well, just cancellation might be a problem by the reasons I already mentioned.

thanks, I am only interested in a Covid specific cover.

Everything else will be covered by my regular travel insurance

On 6/26/2021 at 9:13 PM, Stefan_Varong said:

Pricing is a very different topic. I booked a couple of Costa cruises in Germany, some on the rest of Europe site, now first time in the Netherlands, always comparing the cruise I wanted against different prices plus the costs to get included I want.

In terms of pricing, how does the UK site compare with Netherlands and Germany/ Austria ( price includes service charges)?

Edited by drsel

11 hours ago, drsel said:

In terms of pricing, how does the UK site compare with Netherlands and Germany/ Austria ( price includes service charges)?

There are no rules which Costa site has higher or lower prices. It is always comparing. I calculate the final price for cabin plus service charge plus drinking package. German and Austrian site always have service charge included, the others I mention not. Easy calculation. No package, smaller package or exactly what I prefer? I add the price for the desired product if applicable. My next Costa cruise (I still hope it will happen) was more expensive in Germany, not available for the full length in the UK (eight nights less, about the same price as in the Netherlands) and not available at all on the .eu site. Another upcoming cruise I have booked on the .eu site, since the conditions were better. My last Costa cruise was booked in Germany. Sometimes there are special offers only available at TAs, I did the last voyage of the neoClassica from Italy to India for an absolute ridiculous low price (I had one week cruises that were more expensive). I don’t go on a cruise, just because it is cheap, but because I am convinced of the itinerary. If I decided to do a cruise I go shopping for the best offer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stefan_Varong said:

There are no rules which Costa site has higher or lower prices. It is always comparing. I did the last voyage of the neoClassica from Italy to India for an absolute ridiculous low price (I had one week cruises that were more expensive)

If I decided to do a cruise I go shopping for the best offer.

If you don't mind what was the price you paid for 1 or 2 adults on Costa neoclassica from Italy to India?

21 hours ago, drsel said:

If you don't mind what was the price you paid for 1 or 2 adults on Costa neoclassica from Italy to India?

Based on double occupation from 999 € including service charge for 29 days. Single supplement the (at that time) usual 40%. No last minute offer, I booked in January, the cruise started in October.

2 hours ago, Stefan_Varong said:

Based on double occupation from 999 € including service charge for 29 days. Single supplement the (at that time) usual 40%. No last minute offer, I booked in January, the cruise started in October.

Very nice, because we took the neoRiviera the following year for 29 nights and paid $2258 + €580 service charges for 2 adults. We got €200 OBC.(€100 each)

On which site did you get this fantastic rate?

Edited by drsel

On 7/5/2021 at 8:21 PM, drsel said:

Very nice, because we took the neoRiviera the following year for 29 nights and paid $2258 + €580 service charges for 2 adults. We got €200 OBC.(€100 each)

On which site did you get this fantastic rate?

It was a special contingent of a larger TA in Germany who sends me a weekly e-mail. It’s not allowed tell the name of agents here.

Concerning insurance, when I booked both my world cruises they did allow to take up insurance before the finale payment. I usually do check the offers on the cruises again and on the 2023 now it says insurance needs to be purchased when making the reservation. So I hope that before my finale payment for 2023 I will still be able to add the insurance, will need to cross that bridge when I get there. I got so panicked after reading the change of policy that I did add the insurance to the 2022 cruise. Hope it does go, but if not the insurance on Costa US-website is $ 2.999.00 at least for my booking.

24 minutes ago, BVILady said:

the insurance on Costa US-website is $ 2.999.00 at least for my booking.

I think $2999 is too much, even for a world cruise

Edited by drsel

I know but due to the length of the cruise I was unable to get any other coverage. You only live once and sometimes it just get's very expensive 🙂 🙂 And you never know what will happen, I might end up glad I got the insurance.

5 minutes ago, BVILady said:

I know but due to the length of the cruise I was unable to get any other coverage. 🙂 🙂 And you never know what will happen, I might end up glad I got the insurance.

I have always bought economical travel insurance for holidays over many years, & NEVER EVER used it!.

I am hoping we never need to use it in future also.

I tried to use it once for my daughter. We had booked a cruise about 18 month in advance and I took out the insurance. When it came to the date, she had to move apartments and wasn't able to make it, not a good enough reason to be covered. Have never taken insurance after that, but now with Covid I just felt it was necessary.