IT’S LIVE: RETURN TO CRUISING – JULY 3 - JULY 17 BAHAMA BACK-TO-BACK VOYAGES ON-BOARD CRYSTAL SERENITY

Keith1010

2 hours ago, Verokaren said:

Well, I have snorkeled my entire life, and the best snorkeling I have ever experienced was in the South Pacific, specifically Moorea. Today on Exuma islands, The water was very clear and the snorkeling was pretty good, although not lush with fish and coral. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a six. Frankly, given the die off of the great coral reef system in the Atlantic ocean, I was pleasantly surprised.  Bear  in mind that we only had about 45 minutes to an hour at this particular location, and then we moved on to other sites. The turtle interaction was fantastic and fun.

We are going out again tomorrow on the San Salvador island, so I will keep you posted!

What was the exact name of the snorkeling shore excursion for Exuma?  

• Like 1

One more advantage....you don't have to be so careful in packing them, so the suits etc can get stuffed into the corners of the bag to fill up empty spaces.  And that helps to reduce the shifting of other items in the bag - win-win.

• Like 1

Also for a very reasonable fee you can have mending done by onboard tailors! I think still you will get one of the little sewing kits in your Stateroom if you wish to do it yourself. I have used the mending service and it was done well with a quick turnaround.

3 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

We had another medical emergency and had to turn around and head back to Cairns but we were also lucky to have a helicopter heading our way. We did in fact meet up with the helicopter which evacuated the guest and spouse (and luggage) and the next day we learned all was well. What a sight though to watch the helicopter evac over the open sea!

We were onboard when a passenger was evacuated off the Harmony by the Japanese Coast Guard many years ago.  It was quite a sight to see.

4 hours ago, Verokaren said:

Well, I have snorkeled my entire life, and the best snorkeling I have ever experienced was in the South Pacific, specifically Moorea. Today on Exuma islands, The water was very clear and the snorkeling was pretty good, although not lush with fish and coral. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a six. Frankly, given the die off of the great coral reef system in the Atlantic ocean, I was pleasantly surprised.  Bear  in mind that we only had about 45 minutes to an hour at this particular location, and then we moved on to other sites. The turtle interaction was fantastic and fun.

We are going out again tomorrow on the San Salvador island, so I will keep you posted!

Yes please keep me posted! Also if you did a Crystal excursion or your own please 😁

58 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

Also for a very reasonable fee you can have mending done by onboard tailors! I think still you will get one of the little sewing kits in your Stateroom if you wish to do it yourself. I have used the mending service and it was done well with a quick turnaround.

They can also do alterations.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Keith, 

Re the guest with a medical emergency, so sorry to hear this and hope all will end well.

We were on board last year when we left LA and had to take someone to safety. You and Anne Marie may have disembarked by the time we got to Cairns - we were headed to Cooktown and couldn't get into port due to the wind 😰. We had another medical emergency and had to turn around and head back to Cairns but we were also lucky to have a helicopter heading our way. We did in fact meet up with the helicopter which evacuated the guest and spouse (and luggage) and the next day we learned all was well. What a sight though to watch the helicopter evac over the open sea!

Oops I am losing it! This was WC 2019 not 2020! We only went to South Pacific islands in 2020:classic_blush: Getting old I guess.

Good early morning.

You all have certainly covered lots  of ground since I went to sleep.

Dry Cleaning and Pressing has done very well by the staff.  As I said prices are great.  We have never had a problem.  As mentioned you can use the irons in the laundry room and yes there is a chance something could go wrong which is why I would recommending testing it out first on something you are less concerned about or just sending it to the laundry for pressing.  If you want to do laundry there are laundry  rooms on decks 7,8, 9, 10 and 11 and some decks required entry by keycard with only those guests on a particularly deck allowed to use that deck.  I believe  that applies  to decks 9, 10, and 11.

Another great afternoon and evening on Serenity.  Afternoons are when I return to the Paddle Tennis court and play  with some very challenging players.  This makes me get better and I enjoy that.  When I was sitting on the back of Deck 11 after play to read and enjoy the views of the Ocean I was reminded about some of the changes occurring over the years.  There are one or two members of the Lido team assigned to the area checking to see if the guests need anything such as a drink and they also check other areas which they have done for years prior to that such as the Paddle Tennis Court.  It's  a nice touch for the decks on the back of most guest decks.

Another wonderful dinner and for the second time in two weeks we had Chateaubriand which was brilliant.  Also enjoyed  before dinner appetizers and champagne.

IMG_0662.thumb.jpeg.29ce1f4d0d4f6519cc30d30780f17c32.jpeg

When I post the Blog later today dinner menu from last night along with today's Daily Reflections.

This is the first cruise we have taken with no visits to ports other than myself walking around Nassau on turn around day and no excursions pre cruise.  Our purpose was to enjoy the ship and do it in a safe manner taking into account Anne Marie's situation.  

I know many month ago there was all sorts of discussion by some who would not cruise with masks or the crew wearing masks or other items related to COVID-19. I get it for those who didn't want to go.  For us this has been outstanding after 16 months not traveling or even going to a restaurant.  There is not a right or wrong on this and as I say often the only opinion that matters is our own.

For Anne Marie and myself being home on Crystal Serenity is all we wanted  and the cruise has been absolutely wonderful for us.

Keith

• Like 6

Thank you for your posts.  I grew up cruising with my parents and then my family.  My parents loved crystal and saw the world with crystal. While my

dad is no longer with us and my mom has dementia she still remembers crystal so your posts bring happiness into our hearts.  May you have years of smooth sailing (and postings lol).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

This probably hasn’t happened yet based on existing amenity inventory, but one of the pieces of the press release about the new Caudalie toiletries talked about moving to new sewing baskets that you request from your stewardess as part of the reduction in single use plastics.  So long story short, at some point in the future the plastic sewing kits should disappear, and then you would just ask your stewardess for a sewing basket to borrow.

Vince

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KarimaJ said:

Hi.

I'm VERY interested to hear about any snorkeling done anywhere on the cruise, whether from the beach or a trip. We are still trying to decide the best stop for snorkeling. How was it compared to other places in the Caribbean. We have snorkeled in St.Thomas,  St.John, Turks and Caicos, Grand Cayman. was hoping for some great snorkeling on this trip! Thanks

Hi KarimaJ and other fellow snorkelers,

The excursion for Exuma snorkeling is: EXU-J-A Sail, Swim and Snorkel. The word "sale," is a bit of a misnomer as you are actually on a motorboat.  There is some shade, and there is seating for about 12 people. You can definitely bring your own equipment or they provide it, and it seemed newer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a question about sail away. From what locations on the ship can the song be heard? The first night in Nassau we were in Umi Uma and last night we were in the Sunset Bar/Palm Court.  Couldn’t hear it from either location. Where’s a good location to enjoy the song?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, TakingFlight said:

I have a question about sail away. From what locations on the ship can the song be heard? The first night in Nassau we were in Umi Uma and last night we were in the Sunset Bar/Palm Court.  Couldn’t hear it from either location. Where’s a good location to enjoy the song?

It's played only on the open decks, as to not disrupt the activities inside.  (Crystal minimally uses the PA system indoors.). Personally, I'm almost always on the promenade deck for sail away, and it's loud and clear there.  IME you can also hear it from your stateroom verandah, when I've had one.

Edited to add: If you're in Serenity's Palm Court, since you mentioned it, I think you can hear it if you go out to one of the outdoor deck extensions over the bridge wings on either side of the lounge.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 3:03 PM, Keith1010 said:

These are the inclusive beers on thee menu in addition  to the one  local Bahama Beer I mentioned earlier. Please keep In mind  like any  sailing they could run out of something I am  listing   because they might  not get all orders in the containers.

Asahi Beer

Blue  Moon

Budweiser

Bud Light

Corona

Coors Light

Guinness

Heineken

La Fin Du Monde

Lagunittas  IPA

Samuel Adams

Sapporo which I know they didn't have on the first sailing.  Not sure about this one.

Singha.

Keith

Could someone take a photo of the red wines onboard by the glass?  How is the quality ?  And are we allowed to bring any alcohol aboard, and if so, how many bottles per person? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, gramfrog said:

Could someone take a photo of the red wines onboard by the glass?  How is the quality ?  And are we allowed to bring any alcohol aboard, and if so, how many bottles per person? 

Since Crystal is all inclusive except for very expensive offerings, you could bring as much as you care to schlep aboard. That being said, the inclusive offerings are good and only the most picky would find them unacceptable. I’m sure someone has a list, but be aware that it changes from time to time depending on the availability. The extra charge wines are offered at very reasonable markups. 

Patty

p.s. Perhaps I should have said discerning rather than picky!!

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Since Crystal is all inclusive except for very expensive offerings, you could bring as much as you care to schlep aboard. That being said, the inclusive offerings are good and only the most picky would find them unacceptable. I’m sure someone has a list, but be aware that it changes from time to time depending on the availability. The extra charge wines are offered at very reasonable markups. 

Patty

p.s. Perhaps I should have said discerning rather than picky!!

Thanks, Patty!

34 minutes ago, gramfrog said:

The lounges always have a Cab, usually California such as Vina Robles, a Pinot, French varietals and sometimes a Shiraz. They do sometimes have a Zin available, but you normally have to ask about it. I can't say I have ever had a bad one, just some I liked better than others. The wines served in Waterside are many and varied, with a "featured" red and white every day. If you don't care for the one being served that day, just ask and they will happily offer you something else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Thank you for your posts.  I grew up cruising with my parents and then my family.  My parents loved crystal and saw the world with crystal. While my

dad is no longer with us and my mom has dementia she still remembers crystal so your posts bring happiness into our hearts.  May you have years of smooth sailing (and postings lol).

You are very kind  and  I am glad you are enjoying the posts.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, gramfrog said:

You can have a glass out of  any bottle and I posted an entire listing of them on the last cruise so I would encourage you to look for what I posted.

Keith

• Like 1