Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

4 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

I am not a fan of this whole idea of Medallion.  Princess should provide the accessories free of charge.

They do provide the plastic holder and a lanyard. We just detached from the lanyard and kept ours in our pockets just like the cruise cards. Worked fine. Most times the staff could read without even removing them from our pockets.

Just now, CeCe_ said:

Are we supposed to wear this the whole time while on the ship?

You carry it or wear it, your choice, just like you did the cruise card. Can't purchase anything, order beverages, enter your cabin, embark/disembark without it just like the cruise card. Really no different in that respect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The Medallion is used to open your cabin door.  Unless you plan to stay at the buffet for the entire cruise!

Interesting people would say thing like this to put people down.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CeCe_ said:

Apologies!  It absolutely was not meant to put anybody down, I promise.  Just a poor attempt at some humor.  The item about the door however is totally accurate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

I am not a fan of this whole idea of Medallion.  Princess should provide the accessories free of charge.

We have used the Medallion once... on the Regal in February 2019.  So much more has been added to the use of the Medallion.  I'm looking forward to using all the newest add-ons.

I have my own favorite lanyard but I just took the Medallion in the plastic case and put it on my lanyard.  No need to purchase anything if you don't want too.  

This device is similar to using the Disney World MagicBands.  The MagicBands are an RFID device.  The basic MagicBands were free until this year.  Now the bands must be purchased (Annual Pass Holders get them for free) and all sorts of accessories are sold as well.  They can be reused, unlike the current Princess Medallions.  (I hope that happens sometime in the near future with the Medallions, if possible)  

38 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Do you have a link? I looked and can't find anything like that cute wristband.

TIA

Look on Amazon for Wristband Bracelet for Fibit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

Classic example of something one could say and is obviously humor but looks so different in print. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, San10s said:

We have used the Medallion once... on the Regal in February 2019.  So much more has been added to the use of the Medallion.  I'm looking forward to using all the newest add-ons.

I have my own favorite lanyard but I just took the Medallion in the plastic case and put it on my lanyard.  No need to purchase anything if you don't want too.  

This device is similar to using the Disney World MagicBands.  The MagicBands are an RFID device.  The basic MagicBands were free until this year.  Now the bands must be purchased (Annual Pass Holders get them for free) and all sorts of accessories are sold as well.  They can be reused, unlike the current Princess Medallions.  (I hope that happens sometime in the near future with the Medallions, if possible)  

Nothing has been added to the medallion. It is just an RFD device that identifies your ID through the ship's system. What has changed is the medallion class app.

No advantage to reuse medallions. They are free. They also have weak interior magnets that over time lose their power. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Apologies!  It absolutely was not meant to put anybody down, I promise.  Just a poor attempt at some humor.  The item about the door however is totally accurate.

It was my understanding that even if you couldn’t use the app to board, you would be given one at the terminal, plus the option of the cruise card is available as some people cannot have a medallion- those fitted with a pacemaker.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Nothing has been added to the medallion. It is just an RFD device that identifies your ID through the ship's system. What has changed is the medallion class app.

No advantage to reuse medallions. They are free. They also have weak interior magnets that over time lose their power. 

Wow! I think this is a case of semantics but since you felt it necessary to make a reply, so will I.  Here's what you highlighted in my post...

So much more has been added to the use of the Medallion.  

Wow!  I did not say anything was added to the medallion.  I stated the there is added USE of the medallion.  I love things that can be used for many purposes.  

As for your  statement .....  "No advantage to reuse medallions'    I must disagree.  Sadly there will be thousands and tens of thousands (probably way more) of medallions that will become trash, headed for landfills annually.  It would make sense to get more than a one time use out of them. I hope it is something Princess will work on in the future.

I have 4 cruises within 10 months scheduled.  There should an ability to reuse the  devices.  WDW does it!  3 years later the same RFID device is used again.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, San10s said:

I stated the there is added USE of the medallion.

Well that is where you are wrong.  The added features and uses are to the Medallion Class app running on a suitable Smart Device.  All the Medallion does is identify you to Princess employees and open your cabin door.  The identification part can be used to charge items to stateroom account.  This is same as it ever was. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, San10s said:

"No advantage to reuse medallions'   

The medallion has a small battery that will die out in time. Presently medallions are printed with your name, ship and date as well as color coded according to your loyalty status. Don't think Princess will try to re-design the medallion anytime in the near future. They are having too much difficulty just getting the app features to work. If you lose or displace while on the ship you can obtain another one by just visiting passenger services. They were no charge. I'm not against recycling, but don't believe it is currently on Princess' radar. 

2 hours ago, San10s said:

Sadly there will be thousands and tens of thousands (probably way more) of medallions that will become trash, headed for landfills annually.  It would make sense to get more than a one time use out of them. I hope it is something Princess will work on in the future.

I have 4 cruises within 10 months scheduled.  There should an ability to reuse the  devices.  WDW does it!  3 years later the same RFID device is used again.  

They may not make them reuseable, but at least they are (supposedly) made from recycled waste.

If you hadn't seen this article yet, I thought you would find it interesting:

https://vegancruiser.co.uk/cruise/princess-cruises/sustainable-oceantide-accessories/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tre72ow75 said:

Saw where Princess has added new benefits for Platinum and Elite cruisers.  Listed on their web site.  About time.

Look at them closely   The loyalty OBC is history

2 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

They may not make them reuseable, but at least they are (supposedly) made from recycled waste.

If you hadn't seen this article yet, I thought you would find it interesting:

https://vegancruiser.co.uk/cruise/princess-cruises/sustainable-oceantide-accessories/

Thank you for the link to the article.

It’s nice to know if anyone buys any of the accessories that they are made from recycled materials.  Unfortunately the Medallion itself isn’t. 

I found an adaptor on Amazon that attaches to my watch band, which I wear all the time anyway. My Medallion fits in there when I don’t want to wear a lanyard. 

I’ve seen a lot of jewelry type items on Etsy for the Medallions too. 

10 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Everybody wants something for nothing. You realize this idea would be recovered by raising cruise prices. A lanyard and holder are provided with the medallion, anything other that is out of your pocket.

You do not think Princess is making lots of money out of accessories?  When I spent nearly $8000 on a cabin, I have every reason to believe that Princess is being cheap not providing a $10 plastic wrist wear for free, but want to sell it instead.  If you own a business, you will know the actual wholesale price and the profit margin are huge.  3000 passengers would bring in $30000 to Princess.  It is a very sizable income.

Edited by CeCe_
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

You do not think Princess is making lots of money out of accessories?  When I spent nearly $8000 on a cabin, I have every reason to believe that Princess is being cheap not providing a $10 plastic wrist wear for free, but want to sell it instead.  If you own a business, you will know the actual wholesale price and the profit margin are huge.  3000 passengers would bring in $30000 to Princess.  It is a very sizable income.

My point exactly. If Princess gave the accessories free, they would lose that income and guess how that will be made up? BTW: I am happy with the lanyard and holder provided so they will not get a cent out of me for overpriced "accessories". 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

I would be surprised if the plastic wrist band cost more than a $1. Probably 50 cents or less. Certainly within the cost of a fare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

My point exactly. If Princess gave the accessories free, they would lose that income and guess how that will be made up? BTW: I am happy with the lanyard and holder provided so they will not get a cent out of me for overpriced "accessories". 

My wife and I both detest lanyards but we took the freebie option as well. I'll probably just keep it in my pocket like I did the cruise card. If my wife decides she wants some sort of accessory then she will purchase one either in advance or onboard. No biggie.

• Like 1