Hair dryer question

Falconrunner26

2 hours ago, Falconrunner26 said:

Does anyone know if a Dyson Airwrap hair dryer will work on the Vicking Ocean ships?  Are personal hair dryers allowed?  Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

With the exception of curling irons, all heat producing electrical appliances are prohibited. Viking provides each cabin with a hair dryer, so no need to bring personal ones.

16 hours ago, Twitchly said:

If anyone could let us know what model hair dryer is on Viking ships, that would be helpful. I use a diffuser, and I’d need to bring one that fits their dryers.

Just saw on the Cabin thread  a post with a  link;  it had a picture of the hair dryer. It is a Braun . 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 3:39 PM, Falconrunner26 said:

Does anyone know if a Dyson Airwrap hair dryer will work on the Vicking Ocean ships?  Are personal hair dryers allowed?  Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

When is your cruise?  I also have the Airwrap and was planning on taking it for our cruise in October.  I have gotten so used to using it, I don't use anything else.  It might be able to pass as a hair curler, which it is.

On 6/27/2021 at 6:39 PM, Falconrunner26 said:

In other threads on other forums discussing the electrical systems on cruise ships, I have had anecdotal comments both that the Dyson products do or do not work on shipboard systems.  I reached out to Dyson, and never received a response.  I don't know enough about their digital motor technology to say one way or the other whether a Dyson product will work with a "floating ground" system.  The Dyson line is the only one, however, that I've seen mentioned as not working onboard, yet works before and after a cruise.

Edited by chengkp75

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

In other threads on other forums discussing the electrical systems on cruise ships, I have had anecdotal comments both that the Dyson products do or do not work on shipboard systems.  I reached out to Dyson, and never received a response.  I don't know enough about their digital motor technology to say one way or the other whether a Dyson product will work with a "floating ground" system.  The Dyson line is the only one, however, that I've seen mentioned as not working onboard, yet works before and after a cruise.

Thanks Chief - haven't heard of that issue before, good to know.

49 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Aren’t those Dyson “ball vacuums” I saw the cabin stewards dragging around on the Sun?

Ton

If they are, they are 220v, so the whole "floating ground" thing is different for them, and all the ship's 220v appliances.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Gibsontravels said:

On the two ocean cruises I’ve experienced on Viking ships the hair dryer can’t be plugged in in the bathroom.  It can be plugged in near the desk with the lighted mirror.

Yes, the bathroom outlets are current limited, rather than GFCI protected, since they are in a "wet location", and this limits them to about 2-3 watts maximum, much less than a hair dryer.  Razors and toothbrushes only.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, the bathroom outlets are current limited, rather than GFCI protected, since they are in a "wet location", and this limits them to about 2-3 watts maximum, much less than a hair dryer.  Razors and toothbrushes only.

Thanks - I think you answered another question I had - can I plug a water pik in the outlet in the bathroom?

25 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Thanks - I think you answered another question I had - can I plug a water pik in the outlet in the bathroom?

I googled the power usage of a waterpik, and it says they are 12-14 watts.  The shaver outlets are fuse limited to 20 watts at 120v, (I was off by a decimal earlier, before my coffee) so you may be okay.  Check the amperage (must be less than 0.2) or wattage of your unit.  A battery one for travel may be a good idea.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I googled the power usage of a waterpik, and it says they are 12-14 watts.  The shaver outlets are fuse limited to 20 watts at 120v, (I was off by a decimal earlier, before my coffee) so you may be okay.  Check the amperage (must be less than 0.2) or wattage of your unit.  A battery one for travel may be a good idea.

Mine is 14 watts, but I forgot how big it is, even if it is a travel size, so I may look at a battery operated unit.  Thanks for the info!

On 6/27/2021 at 7:42 PM, Twitchly said:

If anyone could let us know what model hair dryer is on Viking ships, that would be helpful. I use a diffuser, and I’d need to bring one that fits their dryers.

Some duct tape could work as an adapter.  The handyman's secret weapon.

• Haha 1