Sky Reef in Cozumel

Tartan194

Just now, Tartan194 said:

Has anyone been to Sky Reef in Cozumel?  Looking for any/all information.  Entrance fee, menu prices, drink prices, atmosphere, snorkel, etc.  Thank you.

You might pose this question in the Cozumel Ports of Call forum, and get a quicker, better answer. 

15 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Just came back from a week and a half vacation in Cozumel and went to Sky Reef. 

You can find tons of pictures and a review of our visit there HERE

We had a fabulous day there snorkeling and eating!

Hmmmm?  Looks like better snorkeling than what you find at the Money Bar, but a smaller facility.  I may need to rethink some plans for our next stop in Coz.

7 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Hmmmm?  Looks like better snorkeling than what you find at the Money Bar, but a smaller facility.  I may need to rethink some plans for our next stop in Coz.

It has been a while since I went to either. The restaurant maybe smaller but i don’t think the footprint of the whole property is smaller. You can see the  length from google street view. There seem to be a lot more loungers from when we originally went several years ago. There is a cute church built on the property looking out to sea.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RMP0TGUKFqk

There are several You-tube videos that show the snorkeling and facilities. 

Edited by c-leg5

14 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Seeing so many sea fans of different colors was just amazing to me. It was so beautiful. I definitely like that place better than the Money Bar. The restaurant is pretty big too. 

• 1 month later...

After seeing the pictures posted by @mitsugirly, we’re thinking of trying Sky Reef on our cruise next week. We will be traveling by taxi to get there. I’m sure we will have no problem getting a taxi from the pier to go out there. How about getting back to the pier when we’re done? Somehow, it doesn’t seem like a place that taxis would be hanging out waiting for a fare. Will the staff at Sky Reef call a taxi for us, or would we be better off arranging for the driver who brings us there to come back and get us at a set time? 

How do you  get into and out of the water at Sky Reef? Can I jump in from a pier, or use a ladder? Or would I have to climb over slippery rocks?  Kim, if you’re reading this, I know you’re still having problems with your foot, so I guess if you managed there, I can, too. I’d just rather know what to expect when I get there. 

1 hour ago, perfect match said:

After seeing the pictures posted by @mitsugirly, we’re thinking of trying Sky Reef on our cruise next week. We will be traveling by taxi to get there. I’m sure we will have no problem getting a taxi from the pier to go out there. How about getting back to the pier when we’re done? Somehow, it doesn’t seem like a place that taxis would be hanging out waiting for a fare. Will the staff at Sky Reef call a taxi for us, or would we be better off arranging for the driver who brings us there to come back and get us at a set time? 

How do you  get into and out of the water at Sky Reef? Can I jump in from a pier, or use a ladder? Or would I have to climb over slippery rocks?  Kim, if you’re reading this, I know you’re still having problems with your foot, so I guess if you managed there, I can, too. I’d just rather know what to expect when I get there. 

Regarding taxis I see no reason why they couldn’t  call  for a  taxi for you if there isn’t one passing - you are on the west side amongst all the tourist beach clubs. Taxis on Cozumel are desperate for fares especially if there is a ship in port. Or you can call for one using Taxi Facebook page.

There is a substantial wooden pier with steps at the end for entering the water. I am surprised Mitsugirly doesn’t have a photo but there are plenty of photos online (tryTA) otherwise Sky Reef website has a photo, although  not very good. I have also seen you-tube reviews that would probably show the steps.

Edited by c-leg5

19 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Regarding taxis I see no reason why they couldn’t  call  for a  taxi for you if there isn’t one passing - you are on the west side amongst all the tourist beach clubs. Taxis on Cozumel are desperate for fares especially if there is a ship in port. Or you can call for one using Taxi Facebook page.

There is a substantial wooden pier with steps at the end for entering the water. I am surprised Mitsugirly doesn’t have a photo but there are plenty of photos online (tryTA) otherwise Sky Reef website has a photo, although  not very good. I have also seen you-tube reviews that would probably show the steps.

Thanks, @c-leg5

The pier with steps at the end sounds good to me. I’ve already checked Mitsugirly’s website and the Sky Reef site. I’ll look a little deeper into TA. I just gave them a quick look so far. I’ll also check You Tube. Haven’t been there yet. Mitsugirly has me sold on the place with her snorkeling pictures. Now, I just have to convince DH, who would rather swim in a pool than the ocean 🤷‍♀️ and will need plenty of reassurance that we’ll be able to get back to the ship on time! He really should know by now that I’m not going to take him anywhere that there’s any doubt at all about getting back to the ship! 😱😂

I’m spoiled with the great scuba diving I’ve done in Cozumel, but I’m not diving this trip due to some issues I’m having with clearing my ears. That’s a no go for me for diving, so the snorkeling at Sky Reef is a big draw for me. 🐠🐟🐡

Edited by perfect match

On 9/6/2021 at 11:09 PM, perfect match said:

I definitely wouldn't have any concerns with a taxi. There's a spot right beside it that had taxi's when we went and there wasn't even any cruise ships when we were there. It's also on the main strip so you have taxi's passing by all the time and definitely the staff could call you one. I agree with leg...on a cruise ship day, they are definitely going to be available. 

You can see in one of my pictures, in my review at the end, a taxi parked outside. 

I didn't really get a picture from being in the water looking up at the steps, but it was easy enough to get in and out. A few steps up on the dock (just to go over the rocks) and a few down. 

P4081898 copy.jpg

P4081887 copy.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Kim! At this point, we’re deciding between Sky Reef and Chankanaab. Good to know about the taxis at Sky Reef, and I’m sure if you could get in and out of the water easily there with your bad foot, I’ll be ok there, too.

Glad to see that you and your family are still getting out and enjoying your vacation time. I plan to get back to reading your blog after we get back from our Allure cruise that we will be on next week. I’m sure it will help with the post cruise depression. It’s been 2 years, 4 months since we’ve been on a ship. I’ll believe it’s really happening once we board on Sunday!

Thanks, Kim! At this point, we’re deciding between Sky Reef and Chankanaab. Good to know about the taxis at Sky Reef, and I’m sure if you could get in and out of the water easily there with your bad foot, I’ll be ok there, too.

Glad to see that you and your family are still getting out and enjoying your vacation time. I plan to get back to reading your blog after we get back from our Allure cruise that we will be on next week. I’m sure it will help with the post cruise depression. It’s been 2 years, 4 months since we’ve been on a ship. I’ll believe it’s really happening once we board on Sunday!

I'm not gonna lie, it's been years since we have been to Chankanaab and I don't know how much it has changed or if the entrance getting in and out of the water at Chank has changed at all, but the physical aspect of getting out is easier at Sky Reef. JMO

We are definitely enjoying our land vacations. I do miss cruising though. It's been 1 year and 9 months for us since we've had a cruise. 

I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. I'm so jealous! 🙂 

• Like 1

@mitsugirly, if I understand your Sky Reef review correctly, you did not have a reservation there, you just showed up and had no problem getting in. My plan right now is to grab a taxi when we get off the ship and just go there. We would like to do our snorkeling first, then get something to eat and drink. Hope they’re ok with that.  Would I be better off if I booked a reservation with them?  We  aren’t interested in all inclusive beverages, tequila tastings, or massages, and will have our own snorkel gear including snorkel vests if required.

When you get in the water off the pier, what direction did you go to see the beautiful purple fan corals?  When I was looking at YouTube videos, I saw some that showed nothing but a plain, sandy bottom. Nothing at all like your pictures! Did you have to swim out a bit to see the good stuff? Any restrictions as to where you could go? 

Thanks!

Edited by perfect match

On 9/9/2021 at 2:04 AM, perfect match said:

@mitsugirly, if I understand your Sky Reef review correctly, you did not have a reservation there, you just showed up and had no problem getting in. My plan right now is to grab a taxi when we get off the ship and just go there. We would like to do our snorkeling first, then get something to eat and drink. Hope they’re ok with that.  Would I be better off if I booked a reservation with them?  We  aren’t interested in all inclusive beverages, tequila tastings, or massages, and will have our own snorkel gear including snorkel vests if required.

When you get in the water off the pier, what direction did you go to see the beautiful purple fan corals?  When I was looking at YouTube videos, I saw some that showed nothing but a plain, sandy bottom. Nothing at all like your pictures! Did you have to swim out a bit to see the good stuff? Any restrictions as to where you could go? 

Thanks!

No we did not have a reservation. We just showed up. I'm honestly not sure how it is on a cruise ship day. I actually messaged them via fb to ask if we could just show up and if there was a cover charge before we left the house and they told us no.

The fans are EVERYWHERE!!! There's no missing them. The whole place is filled with them. I first headed to the left (when facing the water). No, no swimming out...just along the sides by land. I swam a good ways down before turning around (I think there was some buoy's or something to the left) but I seen them everywhere I was.  The huge rocks full of coral was to the right, basically right beside the steps leading in. It was so beautiful. 

I hope you have a great time! Let me know how it went. 

@mitsugirly, We we’re at Sky Reef today. It was awesome! The snorkeling was even better than I expected, and that’s after seeing your spectacular pictures. We are really glad we went there. 

I have pictures in my Olympus TG2, but other camera doesn’t talk to my iPad, so I won’t be able to share any of them until I get home- and I’m in no rush to get home!! I will come back and post some s soon as I can 

BTW, I had a camera problem similar to one you had a few years back. I brought my camera, I brought the charger plug that goes into the wall, and I brought what I thought was the cord to connect the two. Unfortunately, the cord I brought was for my Sea Life camera. The camera I brought is my TG2. They are not compatible, so I won’t be able to charge the TG2! 😱

My phone is going to have to be my primary camera on this trip. Hope the TH2 battery lasts through our day in Nassau on Friday! 

@mitsugirly, We we’re at Sky Reef today. It was awesome! The snorkeling was even better than I expected, and that’s after seeing your spectacular pictures. We are really glad we went there. 

I have pictures in my Olympus TG2, but other camera doesn’t talk to my iPad, so I won’t be able to share any of them until I get home- and I’m in no rush to get home!! I will come back and post some s soon as I can 

BTW, I had a camera problem similar to one you had a few years back. I brought my camera, I brought the charger plug that goes into the wall, and I brought what I thought was the cord to connect the two. Unfortunately, the cord I brought was for my Sea Life camera. The camera I brought is my TG2. They are not compatible, so I won’t be able to charge the TG2! 😱

My phone is going to have to be my primary camera on this trip. Hope the TH2 battery lasts through our day in Nassau on Friday! 

Oh my gosh I'm so happy you loved it there! I'm glad you went and I can't wait to see your pictures!

Oh no! Not the camera issues! I go with more back up than a professional photographer these days because of that time. LOL