Cruise Cancelation or Charter Clues?

audobon_tx

Just now, Laganlady02 said:

It is not just Australia and New Zealand, it also affects all of pursuits initial sailings in the med from september and also quests sailings in south america.

And Journey's sailings in Asia. 

I think I have figured it out. 

All the TA websites are showing "inside" guarantees for, in the case of the 11/30/21 Pursuit, $9440.  As the websites note, guarantee means the company can assign you to any available cabin. 

Final payment, for this example, is due in 3 weeks or so.

I think this is a stealth sale.  If, for example, verandas were sold at this price now, everyone would cancel and rebook to secure the large reduction in fare.  After final payment, the cancelation penalties reduce or eliminate that option.  So Azamara can stimulate sales now, without risking already booked cash flows.

So if you are willing to take a chance you can score a veranda, or a CC suite, or whatever for, in this example, $9440 +/-.

Of course Azamara could assign you to an inside cabin as well but why would they if half of the higher cabins are vacant?

Or maybe I am being too cynical.  I tend to believe that in business "follow the money" leads to the truth.

Edited by flyingshoes

All of the sailings I look in the affected group (which are a big group of sailings from November 2021 through June 2022) no longer show inside guarantee.  This is what the Azamara website serves up when you try to click through any of those sailings:

image.png.3de6c47b4d08eb396e33729b54afa337.png

I would like for that to be true, but why would the stealth sale correspond so closely to the Asia/S Africa/S America itineraries, which also happen to be where COVID uncertainties would also make changes more likely?

Except of course for Sept/Oct Pursuit in the Med.    No, I’m a pessimist but I think my Sept Pursuit cruise is blown up.  

Edited by mwf7501

Just talked to a rep at Azamara and they are touting the usual line (very politely I might add) that "usually when this happens they are taken offline to adjust inventory and the like."

I believe that she really does not have any other information because she said "crossing my fingers that it isn't more cancellations" which I doubt she would say if she knew the situation.

Of course the CSRs are usually the last to get info from upstairs.

If you look across the boards the same is happening with other cruise lines, Marella in the U.K. pulled their Asian itineraries weeks ago. 
Cruise lines have to make a decision about itineraries that include countries with low vaccination rates and restrictive entry requirements, this includes parts of Asia, South America, Australia & NZ and South Africa. The effort seems to be in providing itineraries that stand a good chance of actually happening such as Europe and the Caribbean. Hopefully this will avoid last minute cancellations and having ships being laid up again which will be disastrous for the industry.

We have two cruises in the next six months, not Azamara, that include Central/South America and Cambodia & Vietnam, we know that it’s very unlikely these will go ahead but the companies concerned seem more interested in retaining our deposits than admitting this. 

• Like 1

Went to Azamara website. New list of cancelled cruises

Our Singapore to Athens May 13 2022 has been cancelled plus all Journeys itinerary previous.

Appears to be low vaccination rates in the area

22 minutes ago, trtog7 said:

Went to Azamara website. New list of cancelled cruises

Our Singapore to Athens May 13 2022 has been cancelled plus all Journeys itinerary previous.

Appears to be low vaccination rates in the area

I can't find this infomation.  Can you provide a link? 

Or perhaps it's just buried in one of the hundreds of pages that don't work right now.

Edited by Aardvaark

I fully understand the need for the changes but don’t understand why Pursuit being in South Africa is not possible in December but ok in January. Are we to expect more changes in the near future?

Well done Azamara for making the changes before final payment is due, not enjoying playing cat and mouse with other companies.

Edited by Riocca

15 minutes ago, Riocca said:

I fully understand the need for the changes but don’t understand why Pursuit being in South Africa is not possible in December but ok in January. Are we to expect more changes in the near future?

Surely there will be more changes-cancellations or new itineraries?- we are booked on B2B Pursuit Nov 6 and Nov 21-  with all Pursuit cruises before and after in 2021 cancelled. I do not see how they can just sail those two cruises. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyingshoes said:

Well that's that

Thanks for the heads up.   It’s a holiday here in Canada so my agent is taking a well-deserved day off.   I’m sure he will be disappointed to learn that yet another one of our cruises (Antarctica) is cancelled.  We’ve still got 4 booked but after already having had to cancel 6 trips, I think we will just hold off booking anything else for now. 

1 hour ago, Riocca said:

Well done Azamara for making the changes before final payment is due, not enjoying playing cat and mouse with other companies.

We are booked on 1 of the January sailing with land package & air so quite  few $$ involved and a  NRD.

I hope if they cancel January they do it in the next 6 weeks.

8 hours ago, mwf7501 said:

How liberally does AZ interpret "...same itinerary type (aka 'product')..."?

image.png.45ef5eeb43277a93430b39a5e74341e5.png

It depends.  We were lucky during the first L&S.  There wasn't anything similar the following year within four weeks of our original departure (a South American cruise to Brazil-Uruguay-Argentina), so they allowed us to move to a Chile-Peru cruise about 8 weeks past the original one year date.  However, others have posted they did not receive similar treatment.

Now with Azamara under new management, it remains to be seen if they allow any flexibility.

I am a bit confused on the 125% FCC.  We made our full payment last week.  Is the 125% Future Cruise Credit given on the base cruise fare only, or on the full amount we paid which included taxes and port charges?  Thanks for helping to clarify this.  

1 hour ago, pirokp said:

I am a bit confused on the 125% FCC.  We made our full payment last week.  Is the 125% Future Cruise Credit given on the base cruise fare only, or on the full amount we paid which included taxes and port charges?  Thanks for helping to clarify this.  

Pretty sure it’s cruise fare only. The taxes and fees will be refunded.