Canyon Ranch massage types (Celebrity)

zitsky

Can anyone comment on the difference between Deep tissue massage and Swedish?  I've had a deep tissue massage and it was good, mostly.  Thought maybe I'd try Swedish next time.

Canyon Ranch is no longer on Celebrity, Deep tissue is exactly as says and Swedish is more maybe a bit gentler, they are very similar, best is to work and talk to the massage therapist before the massage so you can get what you want.  

• Like 1

A Deep tissue massage is exactly as the name implies, applying harder and longer pressure to the muscles. A Swedish Massage covers the same areas of the body but with a lighter touch and more broad strokes. A Swedish Massage costs less since the therapist uses less energy and is less taxing for the therapist. The same areas are covered with both massages; arms, legs, hands, feet, back, shoulders, neck, face.     

45 minutes ago, Zigster said:

On our recent Millennium sailing it was 1 Spa World.

I wonder if anyone has noticed a difference in quality going from old to new company?  Or are they all alike?

Massages are usually classified as either deep tissue or Swedish. So they consider anything not "deep tissue" Swedish. An actual Swedish massage uses a lighter touch but in my experience if you a book a Swedish massage you can get up to a medium pressure. Deep tissue uses a very hard pressure. If you want to go to extremes, Deep tissue can feel quite painful at times and cause bruising where as Swedish is more akin to someone rubbing in sunscreen. It's really personal preference, I prefer something in between and typically am able to get it by asking for more pressure during a "Swedish" massage. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I wonder if anyone has noticed a difference in quality going from old to new company?  Or are they all alike?

https://onespaworld.com/at-sea/spas-at-sea/   They handle many lines spas.  I think they were with Celebrity before Canyon Ranch came in for the past few years.  They were the same when I used them before Canyon Ranch if anything they were less pushy on sales but who knows now with them trying to recover now.  

Edited by bikerunner

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2021 at 9:45 AM, zitsky said:

Can anyone comment on the difference between Deep tissue massage and Swedish?  I've had a deep tissue massage and it was good, mostly.  Thought maybe I'd try Swedish next time.

Short n sweet:

Swedish= wimp

Deep Tissue= AAAAAHHHHHHHHH

New company: Onespaworld or oneworldspa.

Edited by Arzeena