What are your Favorite Sides that accompany your Favorite/Chose of Entree...............

BklynBoy8

What the number of subjects we covered on this forum really covered the selection of food/cuisine/courses we would experience on a Sailing On Board.

We recently went away on a land based get away and had to make a decision of the choices we had to make related to the Sides with the Entree.

Do we really think about the Sides the accompany our Entrees? Do we just take it for granted they are the proper Sides the we should accept.

Broccolini, Butternut Squash, Scalloped Potatoes, Herbed Carrots, Haricot Vert, Au Gratin Cauliflower, Mashed Purple Potatoes (recently with Grilled Steak).

Of course Baked Potato w Sour Cream or Butter/Chives, Sauteed Leeks, Asparagus Gratin to name a few..... to add on later.....

So what are yours?

On 7/2/2021 at 5:45 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

What the number of subjects we covered on this forum really covered the selection of food/cuisine/courses we would experience on a Sailing On Board.

We recently went away on a land based get away and had to make a decision of the choices we had to make related to the Sides with the Entree.

Do we really think about the Sides the accompany our Entrees? Do we just take it for granted they are the proper Sides the we should accept.

Broccolini, Butternut Squash, Scalloped Potatoes, Herbed Carrots, Haricot Vert, Au Gratin Cauliflower, Mashed Purple Potatoes (recently with Grilled Steak).

Of course Baked Potato w Sour Cream or Butter/Chives, Sauteed Leeks, Asparagus Gratin to name a few..... to add on later.....

So what are yours?

One of my favorites is whipped potatoes as opposed to mashed.  You need to have a soft potato whipped with half and half butter, salt and pepper.  This has to be done in just the right consistency so you end up with a paste.  Top with gravy or jus and prepare for ecstasy.  

11 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

One of my favorites is whipped potatoes as opposed to mashed.  You need to have a soft potato whipped with half and half butter, salt and pepper.  This has to be done in just the right consistency so you end up with a paste.  Top with gravy or jus and prepare for ecstasy.  

Oh Boy!

Mashed or Whipped is my favorite meal with proper consistency gravy.

My potatoes are with salt, pepper, onion powder, milk and butter. With a old fashion wooden potato masher passed down from one generation to another. A one of a kind. Not those metal things they sell.

Oh BTW.... when placing the potatoes on the plate you have to geographically place them with the right height and depth for the gravy. Make sure not leakage off the sides.

Yummy....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Oh BTW.... when placing the potatoes on the plate you have to geographically place them with the right height and depth for the gravy. Make sure not leakage off the sides.

🤣🤣     Excuse me, if you need to do so.  I find this humorous.  I envision you with a ruler measuring the depth and the height of your mound of whipped potatoes.  

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

There is a difference.  Whenever my family had potatoes fixed that way, it was my Father's job to prepare them.  Somehow, he had the "touch" that my Mother (who was an excellent cook) did not have.  

Dining on a ship today, yes, I think most of us simply accept whatever sides accompany our entree.  On occasion, if I see that a favorite side of mine will be plated on an entree that I did not order, I will ask if I could have that as a substitute for a "scheduled" side for my entree.  Most of the time, cannot do.  But, then, my Steward will bring me a dish with my requested side.  How many times have I been served the "scheduled" potato/pasta side along with a requested Baked Potato?  

When French service was still available in MDRs, one could select whatever sides were offered.  

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Excuse me, if you need to do so.  I find this humorous.  I envision you with a ruler measuring the depth and the height of your mound of whipped potatoes.  

How did you know...........I use a slide ruler.

Being Polish.....when we talk about whipped potatoes....we are talk serious business. Construction is vitally important to dam up the savory substance called GRAVY! lol.....

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Dining on a ship today, yes, I think most of us simply accept whatever sides accompany our entree.  On occasion, if I see that a favorite side of mine will be plated on an entree that I did not order, I will ask if I could have that as a substitute for a "scheduled" side for my entree.  Most of the time, cannot do.  But, then, my Steward will bring me a dish with my requested side.  How many times have I been served the "scheduled" potato/pasta side along with a requested Baked Potato?  

When French service was still available in MDRs, one could select whatever sides were offered.  

When ever there is a side that does not agree with my liking with the entree, I will look at the rest of the menu and ask for a substitute in place.

Like being away recently, there was several times I did asked for Subsit for what was intended originally. Speak Up I say... 

• Like 1

Herbed Carrots, Haricot Vert, Au Gratin Cauliflower,

Haricot Verts are green beans with a fancy name.  I was raised on many dinners of Green Beans and Ham.  I got my fill of them.  Will still eat them, but if I have a choice of them or, say, Au Gratin Cauliflower, the Cauliflower will win every time.

My upscale grocer's deli kitchen recently prepared Orange Glazed Carrots that were just delicious.  

My preferred sides when dining in a land-based restaurant depends upon the restaurant's cuisine.  A steakhouse:  Steward Tomatoes or Creamed Spinach would be my choices along with either a Baked Potato, Loaded Baked Potato, or Hash Browns (if I know the Chef makes an excellent rendition of that).  Of course, Onion Rings and Mushrooms ought to join my steak.  If I ordered a salad, it would be Caesar.   

A seafood restaurant:  depending upon what is available, but a Wild Rice Mixture likely would be my preferred choice, depending on what entree I ordered.  If it was a "fish/chips" type, obviously, French Fries would be my choice.  Salad?  Cole Slaw or a Tossed Salad.  Appetizer?  Dining in the Tidewater region, a cup/bowl of She Crab Soup would be required.  Other geographic areas of our Country where "seafood" ought to be really fresh would prompt me to order what would be seasonal for that area.  In season, Florida's Stone Crab Claws, I enjoy, until I get my bill.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Haricot Verts are green beans with a fancy name.  I was raised on many dinners of Green Beans and Ham.  I got my fill of them.  Will still eat them, but if I have a choice of them or, say, Au Gratin Cauliflower, the Cauliflower will win every time.

My upscale grocer's deli kitchen recently prepared Orange Glazed Carrots that were just delicious.  

My preferred sides when dining in a land-based restaurant depends upon the restaurant's cuisine.  A steakhouse:  Steward Tomatoes or Creamed Spinach would be my choices along with either a Baked Potato, Loaded Baked Potato, or Hash Browns (if I know the Chef makes an excellent rendition of that).  Of course, Onion Rings and Mushrooms ought to join my steak.  If I ordered a salad, it would be Caesar.   

A seafood restaurant:  depending upon what is available, but a Wild Rice Mixture likely would be my preferred choice, depending on what entree I ordered.  If it was a "fish/chips" type, obviously, French Fries would be my choice.  Salad?  Cole Slaw or a Tossed Salad.  Appetizer?  Dining in the Tidewater region, a cup/bowl of She Crab Soup would be required.  Other geographic areas of our Country where "seafood" ought to be really fresh would prompt me to order what would be seasonal for that area.  In season, Florida's Stone Crab Claws, I enjoy, until I get my bill.  

I also make a Cauliflower with Garlic & Oil or also with Seasoned Breadcrumbs w Garlic & Oil crumbed over it. Same I use for Asparagus on holidays. 

I also make a Glazed Carrots with Butter and Sauteed Onion and accent of Fresh Dill.. Mom use to use Maple Syrup and butter w accent of Dill like at Thanksgiving.

I haven't had Stewed Tomatoes for a long time. Cream Spinach, Home Fries always at a Steak House like Peter Lugers in Brooklyn. I prefer Baked Potatoes with Sour Cream or Butter w Chives. Sometimes in mix Chives with  S.C. We have a Steak House in Cape May NJ that makes a Potato Cup. Mashed Potatoes, Sour Cream and Cheddar Cheese almost like a Duchess Potato in a ceramic cup w top broil slightly brown.  Onion Rings remind me of White Castle Hamburger joint. Don't know  if u have it in Ohio... Loved this with a thick shake.

Seafood always has Cole Slaw. I prefer mayo one not vinegar one. Potato Spears with Fish & Chips like little logs.

She Crab Soup I use to eat in Cape May NJ at a certain restaurant. It was labels as Maryland. But it developed over the years with too much spice and I couldn't eat it anymore. But did like it very much moderate heat. 

20 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Baked Potatoes with Sour Cream or Butter w Chives. Sometimes in mix Chives with  S.C.

All of the above for my Baked Potatoes.  

Onion Rings remind me of White Castle Hamburger joint. Don't know  if u have it in Ohio

White Castle's Headquarters are in Columbus, Ohio.  They are generally credited for being the first fast food hamburger chain.  My community has a facility that is a distribution center for the Company, but there is only one restaurant.  There had been two, but one closed several years ago because of excessive competition and, in my opinion, a poor location.  Really enjoyed their sliders.  Onion rings?  Don't know that I ever had those.  

She Crab Soup

The Tidewater restaurant where I usually ordered this always provided a small flask of sherry to add to the soup.  I have tried it with and without.  Never really thought the sherry made much difference.  

Whenever I vacationed in the Tidewater area, I always brought home some cans of She Crab Soup.  Even ordered them by mail.  Have not done that for some time.  Time to do so.  And, I still have some sherry to add to the soup.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Don't know if I mention this in the past but the two times we were on the HAL ships we visited the Pinnacle.

Enjoyed the great Over Sized Washington Potato w lots of good butter. But SC w chives even better.

Also the Sauteed Mushrooms were great  to dress the Rib Eye done just right.

• Like 1

Going to be away later this month to a favorite location we like to go to and will be experiencing some cooking demos.

One of the topics will be pickling items for the fall. Experienced it once before but will be more of interested this year.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 10:46 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Don't know if I mention this in the past but the two times we were on the HAL ships we visited the Pinnacle.

Enjoyed the great Over Sized Washington Potato w lots of good butter. But SC w chives even better.

Also the Sauteed Mushrooms were great  to dress the Rib Eye done just right.

Good choices at the Pinnacle Grill!  With whatever steak I order (if I order steak), an order of mushrooms always.  I like Grilled Asparagus with their Hollandaise Sauce.  I recall an au gratin potato dish that I would sometimes order.  (Can't recall the name of that dish.)  When the Pinnacle Grill is performing as it ought (and that all depends on who is in charge in the Galley and who the Manager of the PG is), it's an excellent specialty restaurant.