POA port in Maui and where is closest rental car

Gracelyn

We have an overnight docking but think we just want a car for one day. 
where would be the closest. We are there on Sunday so Maui Beach hotel is closed. 

if we decide to keep it over night where do we park and not get towed. We will have a handicap sticker as well for parking. 

thanks. Gracelyn

Pre-Covid there were many threads discussing the issue. Post Covid, who knows? Most likely the closest car rental will be at the airport. Overnight parking was available to pay for at the nearby shopping center.

When are you going? Car rentals are crazy expensive, and probably won't get better for a while. 

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

When are you going? Car rentals are crazy expensive, and probably won't get better

We will be cruising March 22. Looking at rental cars and there are options at airport or airport road? Same? 

Need to check the address for Airport Rd on Google Maps, as that might refer to the hotel location. Maui Airport has built a new, large car rental facility that is actually closer to the airport than the old facilities. They might use the port rental car shuttles like in the past...obviously something we won't know for sure until November, when cruises in Hawaii resume.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about closest, just get the shuttle to the airport car rental area. Here is an old topic, still very valid as near as I can tell.

If you have Costco, I'd rent Hertz or Avis through Costco, if not, rent through Discount Hawaii Car Rental, but still rent one of the majors, Hertz, Avis, National.

https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/en-us/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I wouldn't worry about closest, just get the shuttle to the airport car rental area. Here is an old topic, still very valid as near as I can tell.

If you have Costco, I'd rent Hertz or Avis through Costco, if not, rent through Discount Hawaii Car Rental, but still rent one of the majors, Hertz, Avis, National.

https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/en-us/

Can't speak to the other islands, but the description of Kahalui is not current.  The parking lot near the pier doesn't exist anymore. We don't know, at this point, know of the car rental shuttles will resume as we get out of Covid. The car rental facility is in a different location, although it's a far superior complex now.

• Like 1

Of possible interest to those thinking about renting a car, the following is from the Hawai'i Tourism Authority this week:

"The Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority is advising visitors to East Maui to join a tour from a permitted tour company instead of driving on their own along the Hāna Highway or visiting other areas on Maui. The suggestion is the latest recommendation made by visitor industry officials amid an increase in tourism, illegal parking along the scenic route, and unsafe pedestrian crossing along the highway."

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Can't speak to the other islands, but the description of Kahalui is not current.  The parking lot near the pier doesn't exist anymore. We don't know, at this point, know of the car rental shuttles will resume as we get out of Covid. The car rental facility is in a different location, although it's a far superior complex now.

I can't imagine that the car rental shuttles won't return and it may be only one or two buses with the new ConRAC at OGG.

On 7/9/2021 at 8:50 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

"The Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority is advising visitors to East Maui to join a tour from a permitted tour company instead of driving on their own along the Hāna Highway or visiting other areas on Maui. The suggestion is the latest recommendation made by visitor industry officials amid an increase in tourism, illegal parking along the scenic route, and unsafe pedestrian crossing along the highway."

Heard this also from our family that live on Maui. They are possibly looking at restricting the number of cars allowed along Hana Highway through a lottery or timed ticket system to not only limit the number of cars but how spread out they are at any given time. Frankly I think they are just going to limit the number of rental cars too going forward and just make them a super luxury item when visiting Maui at astronomical prices. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Heard this also from our family that live on Maui. They are possibly looking at restricting the number of cars allowed along Hana Highway through a lottery or timed ticket system to not only limit the number of cars but how spread out they are at any given time. Frankly I think they are just going to limit the number of rental cars too going forward and just make them a super luxury item when visiting Maui at astronomical prices. 

USA Today just had an article about the number of tourists on Maui and how not everyone is getting along.  Interesting but sad reading.    

25 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

We have been hearing about the rental car issues as well. We are booking early so we have one. I had hoped Maui Beach would have one but we dock overnight on Sunday and they are not open. 

Not to concern yourself.  If things go back toward normal operations, there will be a shuttle/shuttles from the dock to the airport car rental area at the airport.  Even if you somehow had to take a taxi it is less than three miles from the port to the airport car rental area.  

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 10:52 PM, Gracelyn said:

We have been hearing about the rental car issues as well. We are booking early so we have one. I had hoped Maui Beach would have one but we dock overnight on Sunday and they are not open. 

The closest car rental place to the pier is Enterprise, on the Hana Highway.  It's a 10 or so minute walk from the ship (a bit of a winding walk to get out of the actual pier area but then it's just across the street and about a block to the left).  Not sure if they offer pier pick-up/drop-off but we just walked both directions.  Car Rental Kahului Hana Hwy. | Enterprise Rent-A-Car

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zelker said:

The closest car rental place to the pier is Enterprise, on the Hana Highway.  It's a 10 or so minute walk from the ship (a bit of a winding walk to get out of the actual pier area but then it's just across the street and about a block to the left).  Not sure if they offer pier pick-up/drop-off but we just walked both directions.  Car Rental Kahului Hana Hwy. | Enterprise Rent-A-Car

That location is now closed on Saturday and Sunday.

• 8 months later...

I thought I’d resurrect this thread as POA is restarting very soon.  Does anyone know if the closest rental car offices (Enterprise and Hertz) used to be open Sundays?  If so I wonder if they’ll start to open again given the ship will be docked there every Sunday now.  If not, any updated info on rental car shuttles etc. Perhaps the restart of POA justifies a new thread, but we’ll see how this goes.  

• Like 1

We ended up booking at the airport as our cruise in March was cancelled and we rebooked for mini ember. We chose to do the sunrise tour first day there and rent second day for the day. Hopefully things will have reorganized but sure would be nice to have one in walking distance. 
Gracelyn

As cruising is slowly resuming in Hawaii,  there may not be a lot of people with recent knowledge or experience. I would do some research and try calling the rental car offices involved. Covid really messed with some of these services...it may not be clear exactly what is going to resume immediately when POA resumes.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/4/2021 at 9:42 AM, Gracelyn said:

We will be cruising March 22. Looking at rental cars and there are options at airport or airport road? Same? 

Curious to hear where you ended up renting from, and what you did for overnight parking. Anything you would do different?  We will be visiting end of Oct.  Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMooreCrystal said:

Curious to hear where you ended up renting from, and what you did for overnight parking. Anything you would do different?  We will be visiting end of Oct.  Thank you for sharing.

Sorry, we were cancelled. Rebooked for this November and we booked Alamo from the airport. So we will have to taxi to it. We would have booked from the enterprise close by but they weren’t available for the Sunday. Good luck