EDGE JULY 10, 2021 (semi) LIVE

graphicguy

17 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

@graphicguy

What cabin category did you book?

S1

Kind of a circuitous route, but originally booked an S3.  But, that was going to be for two of us.  Then, when schedules got discombobulated, I was going to cancel and rebook later in the year.  But, we got an opportunity to travel to Europe over the holidays.  So, the GF can do one, but not both.  She chose Europe (smart choice).  

After much debate, and given my newly retired status, I (we) decided to go ahead and keep the Edge sailing, only I'm doing it solo.  I was prepared to eat the fare for both of us.  But, some other family "stuff" popped up and I had to change my sailing from 7/31 (Eastern) to 7/10 (Western).

That's when my TA said Celebrity was lowering fares for solos, when she was rebooking.  In addition, I could upgrade from an S3 to an S1 (not sure the difference between the two).  But, I could not get a refund.  The lower fare would come in the form of OBC.  Add to that, Celebrity's original offer of $600 OBC was still included.  Plus, the change in date had a change in fare.  The 7/10 is $60 less than the 7/31.

So, that's how I got all of it.  It was just a confluence of events that sort of worked out.  I would rather have had a refund for the difference.  But, in the end, I really am OK with the OBC as I know how and where I'll spend it.  And, the original fare was already budgeted.

• Like 4

We will be on the same cruise, our first with Celebrity. Our preferred cruise line is Viking but yesterday, we found this cruise and reserved right away. We don't plan much in advance but since we live in Florida, it's easy to pick last minute deals. We got an S3 suite and expect it to be in the same class than Viking. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jacquesmm said:

We will be on the same cruise, our first with Celebrity. Our preferred cruise line is Viking but yesterday, we found this cruise and reserved right away. We don't plan much in advance but since we live in Florida, it's easy to pick last minute deals. We got an S3 suite and expect it to be in the same class than Viking. 

Hope to see you on board.

On 7/4/2021 at 11:18 AM, graphicguy said:

It's beginning to feel real.  Celebrity called yesterday to ask of I was vaccinated (yep) and to bring proof with me upon embarkation so they can put it with my records (will do).  The nice lady said the ship would sail AT LEAST 95% vaccinated, and reiterated that 100% of the crew will be vaccinated.

So, here we go.....Thanks to those who have cruised last week and this week.  They are making me feel better and better about this sailing and about Celebrity overall....

Can't wait to follow your adventures on this cruise - you are a marvelously creative story teller!

I see a lot of cruises with your OBC!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

Sorry you had to move your cruise up. However as you said life happens😉.

Thrilled to be following along as you test your new go pro and experience cruising for the first time in a very long time.

Will be shortly dusting off our luggage for our August 7th….but first I will be digging out my business clothes!! After 460+ days of being laid off I got a call from HR yesterday about returning to work. They are aware of the pending vacation and are thankfully willing to work with it😊

Thanks.  I retired.  I travelled a lot internationally for work.  When COVID shut everything down, it seemed like a good time to finally pull the trigger.  Gave employer 90 days notice.  Now that everything is starting to open up again, they've contacted me to see if I were interested in coming back, even if it was part time.  I missed it at first, but sort of settled into a routine of volunteering, doing some civic work for my municipality, a little bit of business mentoring.  Told them I'd let them know when I got back.  I like not being a part of the all the drama and the business/corporate politics.

GF loves her work in healthcare.  As trying as it has been over the last 18 months, she wouldn't trade it for anything else.  She said she would know when she was ready.  But, she's got more than a few years to go before even considering that.

I've already started packing already (highly unlike me to start 3-4 days BEFORE a trip starts).  That's not like me.  I live in shorts and polo shirts.  Having to pack long pants and a button down shirt is something I'm out of practice on.

My mind keeps rolling....

-don't forget your passport

-don't forget your vaccine card

-don't forget socks

-don't forget dress shoes

-don't forget swim trunks

-don't forget to get some traveling money

-don't forget to tell credit card company you're going out of the country

-don't forget to find out health protocols in each port

-etc, etc, etc......

My luggage has a combination lock built in.  It took me 20 minutes of trying different possible numbers I would possibly use to get it to open.  That's how long it's been since I've used it.  LOL!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I've already started packing already (highly unlike me to start 3-4 days BEFORE a trip starts).  That's not like me.  I live in shorts and polo shirts.  Having to pack long pants and a button down shirt is something I'm out of practice on.

My luggage has a combination lock built in.  It took me 20 minutes of trying different possible numbers I would possibly use to get it to open.  That's how long it's been since I've used it.  LOL!

DH gave up dress shirts on cruises...polos every night...he, too, lives in golf shirts & shorts. ESPECIALLY since he retired in May.

Our fairly new luggage sets have locks & I'm afraid to use them for fear I couldn't get them open--not even sure I know how to set them!! (I'm sure Google could help me with that...)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KKB said:

DH gave up dress shirts on cruises...polos every night...he, too, lives in golf shirts & shorts. ESPECIALLY since he retired in May.

Our fairly new luggage sets have locks & I'm afraid to use them for fear I couldn't get them open--not even sure I know how to set them!! (I'm sure Google could help me with that...)

Google can definitely help with that.  I locked the combination in my daughter’s new luggage. Google saved me.  She was not amused. 

• Haha 1

Tried on my cargo pants for the first time in a year.  They fit.  I now have acceptable dress for the (2?) dress up nights.

Doing the “Humpty Dance”!  

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Tried on my cargo pants for the first time in a year.  They fit.  I now have acceptable dress for the (2?) dress up nights.

Doing the “Humpty Dance”!  

We expect lots of mathematical analysis in your review.  Pie charts too!!!  😆

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

GF loves her work in healthcare.  As trying as it has been over the last 18 months, she wouldn't trade it for anything else.  

🙏 to your GF and everyone else working in healthcare who helped the world navigate through this pandemic.

(And thank you too, for creating this thread. Look forward to following along your cruise)

• Like 2

You sound like a cool cruise mate. Yes , we are sailing on July 10th too. 🙂 

On our last cruise with X (Summit) my husband bought me a really beautiful Swarovski jewelry in ship store. I hope you will find something special for you generous GF. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CTKath said:

Can't wait to follow your adventures on this cruise - you are a marvelously creative story teller!

I see a lot of cruises with your OBC!!

Thank you.  What a nice thing to say.  Hopefully I can live up to it as this goes along!!!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tatka said:

You sound like a cool cruise mate. Yes , we are sailing on July 10th too. 🙂 

On our last cruise with X (Summit) my husband bought me a really beautiful Swarovski jewelry in ship store. I hope you will find something special for you generous GF. 

Great!  Hope to see you on board.  Too bad we can’t all do one of those CC Meet and Greets.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

🙏 to your GF and everyone else working in healthcare who helped the world navigate through this pandemic.

(And thank you too, for creating this thread. Look forward to following along your cruise)

Showed her your post last night.  She said to forward her “Thanks”!  

I hope you’ll enjoy it and hope it’s helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know I give some folks here every anxiety attacks, but if I'm flying in for a cruise...

-and it's a direct flight

-and it's on a major carrier

-and I have 2 or 3 other flight choices later in the day that gets me to the port on time

-and I only have carry on luggage

-and I can land 3 hours before I have to be on board the ship (in this case, ship sails at 6:00 p.m.)

-and I can stay in my own time zone to and from

I will fly in the day of embarkation.  I've heard all the reasons why I shouldn't, and I don't if all the above conditions can't be met.

Not really concerned, as I've flown in some pretty nasty weather in the past (OK, not me, but the pilots.  I was just along for the ride), in some pretty dinky planes.

But, there is weather in FL.  It's not severe weather. I've actually flown to FL, successfully,  when there was a CAT 3 hurricane, predicted to be a CAT 5, was actually a CAT 1.

This time, my qualifiers all line up.  I know there is/was a CAT 1 that hit FL yesterday/last night. Same flight that left today.  A little behind, but all good.

My check in time is 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.  Looking good!

Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Delta 1401

ARRIVED 1 HOUR 12 MINUTES AGO
Gate D1

DEPARTURE TIMES

Gate Departure
07:10AM EDT
Scheduled 07:10AM EDT
Takeoff
07:31AM EDT
Scheduled 07:20AM EDT
Taxi Time: 21 minutes
Average Delay: Less than 10 minutes

ARRIVAL TIMES

Landing
09:37AM EDT
Scheduled 09:26AM EDT
Gate Arrival
09:41AM EDT
Scheduled 09:35AM EDT
Taxi Time: 4 minutes
Average Delay: Less than 10 minutes

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I know I give some folks here every anxiety attacks, but if I'm flying in for a cruise...

-and it's a direct flight

-and it's on a major carrier

-and I have 2 or 3 other flight choices later in the day that gets me to the port on time

-and I only have carry on luggage

-and I can land 3 hours before I have to be on board the ship (in this case, ship sails at 6:00 p.m.)

-and I can stay in my own time zone to and from

I will fly in the day of embarkation.  I've heard all the reasons why I shouldn't, and I don't if all the above conditions can't be met.

We, too, have flown in the day of when it just doesn't work otherwise. 

Been lucky so far.

But even flying in the day before this year, with the increased issues of cancellations, I changed our flights from late Friday (arriving 11PM) to either earlier in the day (Mom) or just a better connection (direct to Orlando--easily drivable if issues). Mom with an early flight into Midway--LOTS of ways to get her out of there to FLL should there be issues.

We usually fly SWA & take advantage of checked bags. But one day we flew in on cruise day. If our flight was a couple hours late it was going to be tight & I decided we were doing carry on only.

Thoughtful packing & it's kind of freeing!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KKB said:

We, too, have flown in the day of when it just doesn't work otherwise. 

Been lucky so far.

But even flying in the day before this year, with the increased issues of cancellations, I changed our flights from late Friday (arriving 11PM) to either earlier in the day (Mom) or just a better connection (direct to Orlando--easily drivable if issues). Mom with an early flight into Midway--LOTS of ways to get her out of there to FLL should there be issues.

We usually fly SWA & take advantage of checked bags. But one day we flew in on cruise day. If our flight was a couple hours late it was going to be tight & I decided we were doing carry on only.

Thoughtful packing & it's kind of freeing!

I understand.  It sometimes is necessary to fly in the day(s) before.  There are many good reasons to do so.  I highlighted this in another thread.  But, this is not a slight to any of the Florida ports, but I'm not a fan of MIA, FLL, Orlando, etc.  Essentially, if I came in the day before, I will have wasted a day doing nothing other than eating at an overpriced restaurant, and then just mill about waiting for boarding time.   That does not appeal.

For me, FLL is only about a 2 hour flight, with 3 or 4 other flights available if the early one (I always schedule the first flight out) is delayed or canceled for any reason.  Plus, if I look at flights I could take to MIA in addition to FLL, there's probably 5 or 6 flights I have as backups that will get me to the port in plenty of time.

I've yet to miss a cruise.  Has never been close.  The key is to have options.

Could it happen?  Sure.   I mitigate the likelihood of it happening, though.  I have back up plans for my backup plans.

With the FL Hurricane, especially this time of year, I’m well aware of how that can wreak havoc on travel there.  Have mentioned before, I have a plan, a back up plan and a back up plan to my back up plan.

I was ready to book flying in Friday, instead of sail away day on Saturday.  Looks like that won’t be necessary.  The flight booked have been pretty much on time all week.  And, tracking the flight (direct) looking forward to Saturday, I’m in great shape.  Plan A is holding steady.  I’ll give one more look to the flight tomorrow, but don’t expect any changes.  All systems GO!

Date
Departure
Arrival
Aircraft
Duration
Saturday
10-Jul-2021
07:20AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:25AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 05m
Friday
09-Jul-2021
07:10AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:35AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 25m

PAST FLIGHTS

Date
Departure
Arrival
Aircraft
Duration
Thursday
08-Jul-2021
07:08AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:34AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 26m
Wednesday
07-Jul-2021
07:10AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:41AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 31m
Tuesday
06-Jul-2021
07:13AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:45AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 32m
Monday
05-Jul-2021
07:11AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:28AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 17m
Sunday
04-Jul-2021
07:12AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:30AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 18m
Saturday
03-Jul-2021
07:14AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:41AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 27m
Friday
02-Jul-2021
07:15AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:42AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 27m

56 minutes ago, lostchild said:

$2404 USD Onboard Credit (Per Person for XXXXX) 

Is there a typo in there or you really have $2404 x 2 for OBC to spend?

Not a typo.  OBC is for one, as I’m sailing solo.  And, it’s a result of a price reduction that was subject to OBC instead of a refund.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Not a typo.  OBC is for one, as I’m sailing solo.  And, it’s a result of a price reduction that was subject to OBC instead of a refund.  

I'm sure you will have no trouble spending.    If I really Edge has a really nice handbag store with many of the more expensive bags that many women LOVE.  

• Like 1