Concerning the promenade on deck 2, are exhaust fans/vents servicing the indoor public rooms blowing outside on that deck?

C-sea

2 hours ago, C-sea said:

Although we'd like to access this ship feature, we are concerned about walking through exhaust fan air.

I can't say that i recall any exhaust fan or sudden air flow.  Sometimes you will get a blast of wind on whatever deck side is windward and then no wind and warmer on the lee side.

• Thanks 1

Don't recall any supply or exhaust fans blowing on the Prom Deck. On many ships these are galley air trunks, but the Main Galley is down on Dk1. I suspect the galley exhausts are most likely on aft mooring, 1 deck below the Prom Deck.

I believe I recall some intakes up fwd by the Focsle, but could be confusing ships

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, C-sea said:

Although we'd like to access this ship feature, we are concerned about walking through exhaust fan air.

I don't blame you for wondering this.  We sailed on QM2 Maiden Voyage and went for a stroll.  As you rounded the aft corners and were staring face to face with the diners in Queen's Grill, you also got blasted by exhaust fans full of kitchen smells and grease.  Had to wash clothes and hair to stop smelling grease.  Not sure if it is still that way but rest assured you will not have that sort of experience on Viking Ocean ships promenade decks. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I don't blame you for wondering this.  We sailed on QM2 Maiden Voyage and went for a stroll.  As you rounded the aft corners and were staring face to face with the diners in Queen's Grill, you also got blasted by exhaust fans full of kitchen smells and grease.  Had to wash clothes and hair to stop smelling grease.  Not sure if it is still that way but rest assured you will not have that sort of experience on Viking Ocean ships promenade decks. 

Interesting.  Given the requirement to steam clean the galley ductwork monthly, I've never seen a galley exhaust that did not exit as high up the ship as possible.  From memory, there are frequently intakes that were inboard of the lifeboats, above the promenade, on ships that had the inboard stored boats, but the public space exhausts, and the cabin bathroom exhausts were all up above the highest passenger deck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Interesting.  Given the requirement to steam clean the galley ductwork monthly, I've never seen a galley exhaust that did not exit as high up the ship as possible.  From memory, there are frequently intakes that were inboard of the lifeboats, above the promenade, on ships that had the inboard stored boats, but the public space exhausts, and the cabin bathroom exhausts were all up above the highest passenger deck.

I'm with you Chief.  It's at the high end Queens Grill.  I figure it is some small galley/finishing area for the specialties of the QG.  You definitely got an idea what the swells were having for dinner....Lots of strange bits about that ship imho.  We don't sail her anymore.  Too bad, the first ship I ever sailed on was Queen Mary....🍸

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 12:33 PM, TayanaLorna said:

I can't say that i recall any exhaust fan or sudden air flow.  Sometimes you will get a blast of wind on whatever deck side is windward and then no wind and warmer on the lee side.

I wouldn't be concerned!   We've always walked the promenade second deck on every cruise (now 5).  Never even noticed any fans or exhausts.  You will likely be more wary of the winds that occur on one side of your trek or the other, depending on the wind and ship direction.  You might get sudden wind flow from that, for sure!  Don't go on the deck if you want calm air then!   We often joked with the others walking with us that we were the rugged group!  It was fun to go by the Restaurant windows and have the diners inside look at us like we were nuts!

• Haha 1

LOVE walking the promenade deck...I was sad to see them cover the windows in the part by the bow where the anchor rode is stored and some mechanical stuff....we used to like seeing the crew working!!!

• Like 1

The walkways on seven deck provide a little more varied stroll. The walk from the Infinity pool to the Explorer lounge. Go, upstairs, take the steps dwn to the midship pool, etc. There are a number of informal tours one can create.

6 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

The walkways on seven deck provide a little more varied stroll. The walk from the Infinity pool to the Explorer lounge. Go, upstairs, take the steps dwn to the midship pool, etc. There are a number of informal tours one can create.

So true.

Every morning at sea, I walked around decks 7, 8 and 9. Would start at the top of the aft stairs on Dk 8 (Stbd side), heading aft, then descended to Dk 7 at the Infinity Pool, crossing over, then returning up to Dk 8. Headed fwd on Dk 8 (Port side) to the fwd stairs, going up to and around Dk 9. Then back to Deck 8 to complete a lap.

Lots of fresh air and even a few stairs.