Are you going to be giving more & bigger tips on your upcoming cruises?

I thinks we should all agree tips are included on a ship.  Sometimes, it is hidden in the total price.  Other times, it is a line item on your bill.  Example, The daily tips paid out.  You can choose to pay it up front, or when you check out, but it's on your invoice as part of the cruise ticket.  I like to prepay, and consider it done with.  Other items on a ship, such as a drink has a line item for 18% included.  Or it's in the drink package or dining package.  I don't care......it's already paid and part of the price. So touch nothing, let it ride, and no need for $2 bills that just annoys everyone like little kids, and if you really want to tip extra drink money, do so, but I will never tip a bar server 40-50% for a beer.

The ships currency is USD, so they get tipped in USD.  

Edited by Joseph2017China

18 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Same as respect, its not expected but should be earned.

A certain level of respect is a given, isn't it? Otherwise I have to wonder about those of you who say "respect has to be earned".  Does this mean that you disrespect people until they show you they are worthy of your respect?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

At least you're asking for special service. Some just say my name is John and slip them a 20.  I also tip if I ask for a special service.

Is that really special service? I have never CK alders it so, ice in the bucket and wine glasses have always been considered “standard” in my book, that’s part of the job description.

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Is that really special service? I have never CK alders it so, ice in the bucket and wine glasses have always been considered “standard” in my book, that’s part of the job description.

I never ask for those items and never received them so I guess the are special service. Back when shampoo conditioner and lotion came in individual containers I would ask for extra. Also asked for an extra pillow and towels. The main dining room in select dining is such a disaster I almost want to remove their portion of the daily gratuity but realize it’s the fault of the cruise line and not theirs. 

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I never ask for those items and never received them so I guess the are special service. Back when shampoo conditioner and lotion came in individual containers I would ask for extra. Also asked for an extra pillow and towels.

I would also consider that to be special service. I have never received those things without asking.

On 7/14/2021 at 9:35 PM, kirtihk said:

The whole “tip” entity in the US is pointless and absolite.  Who invented it and for what reason? You agree to pay for whatever you are offered (the price must include everything in the offer, period), and that’s it. My German friend went to the Manhattan restaurant and ordered a $300 wine (besides the diner). He was not allowed to leave without paying 20% tip for that bottle on top of 20% tip for the rest of his order. He asked - “why? what’s the difference for a service person between opening that bottle versus $40 bottle?”  I told him - “welcome to America”.  Does anyone have a real answer?

That's not a tip. That was a service charge.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:52 AM, Tree_skier said:

I certainly do but don't begrudge anyone who doesn't plan on it.  I know I have been tipping better in restaurants.  I'm just thankful that some people are going back to work.  Out here in CA, restaurants are all complaining that they can't hire or get employees to come back because of the enhanced unemployment benefits.  I just want to reward those that want to work. I'll certainly be doing the same on a ship.

Same in MD.   I have upped my tips in restaurants.

But I am of the age where a 15% tip is standard.  So 18% is nice and 20% is for exceptional service.

So, on board, the built in 18% is already for above average service.  For extra, I would have to have superb service.   One cruise, the guys at the pool bar would see me coming, and have the drinks ready or almost ready before I got there. 😄  They got extra.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vjmatty said:

A certain level of respect is a given, isn't it? Otherwise I have to wonder about those of you who say "respect has to be earned".  Does this mean that you disrespect people until they show you they are worthy of your respect?

No it means it goes both ways. Respect for the staff and passengers.

Lost in translation. Some people think as they are above others and should treated as such due to their social standing or the fact they have paid for something. Some people think as they are paying guests the staff should run around after them. 

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's not a tip. That was a service charge.

Every country has their ways of how they charge for items. In the UK the price on the tag is the price you pay at the till, no extra taxes to be added at the till, unless you want item posted to you. 

As for tiping in the UK, the wait staff get paid the same as every minimum wage employee. Like shelf stackers in shops etc, yet i wonder how many tip the supermarket shelf stackers..

46 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

No it means it goes both ways. Respect for the staff and passengers.

Lost in translation. Some people think as they are above others and should treated as such due to their social standing or the fact they have paid for something. Some people think as they are paying guests the staff should run around after them. 

Yes respect should be mutual. That’s not the same as having to earn it. Mutual respect should go without saying.