Aarhus, Oslo, Warenmunde and Kiel with Little Kids

We are considering a 10 on NCL Getaway in May 2023 with an almost 3 and 5 yr old. 

Has anyone done any of these ports with little kids? We don’t expect to hit the major sites but would love to hit local parks and/or anything else kid friendly omfor tourists or locals! 

Thanks!

I only have suggestions for Aarhus - very nice little city - the old part of the city close to the port is very walkable. You might enjoy to walk through the old Latin Quarter.

Below my suggestion for a day with kids ( do not know age) in Aarhus and a short description with a link to the places - Tivoli Friheden unfortunately only website in Danish Language. (Hope Google translate can assist).

Den Gamle By (The Old Town) is a national open-air museum of urban history and culture in Denmark through three centuries. The museum consists of more than 75 historic houses relocated from all over Denmark. (link to Wikipedia) - located in the Aarhus Botanical Gardens, in central Aarhus, (2.5 km from the port)  - kids have free admission.

Tivoli Friheden is an amusement park in Aarhus.  It is located in the forrest about 2 km to the south of the city centre (4 km from the port). It has several themed sections with different types of attractions and activities. There are more than 40 attractions.

Of course there is also Legoland in Billund - but it is an hour's drive from the port of Aarhus. Will require you to rent a car for the day.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

Oslo has some kid-friendly options.

A highlight might be the open-air Folk Museum, which often has live reenactors during the summer months. https://norskfolkemuseum.no/en

A lot of kids have fun at Vigelands Park recreating the crazy poses of the statues, though 3 and 5 may be a bit young for that. (FYI - The statues are all completely nude if that's an issue.)

The city's visitor info site has a page dedicated to visiting with children: https://www.visitoslo.com/en/your-oslo/children/

Warrnemunde is a suburb of Rostock. We took a  suburban train the short distance to Rostock for the morning, returned for lunch onboard and spent the afternoon enjoying Warnemunde. It is a popular weekend and short break destination for Germans.

It is a pretty little town with many cute little cottages, lanes and many flowers., a promemade and the beach.  You should be able to find many pics/images online. We liked it a lot.

Warnemunde is an easy one for small children as it is a seaside town with a long beach. If it is windy, you can rent wicker beach chairs there which can hold more than one person.

So easy to reach from your ship if it docks in Warnemunde and not Rostock.  Only a 5 minute walk to the train station. Walk through it and you are in the town.Cross the bridge and head to your right towards the lighthouse to reach the beach.  

Other than the beach for kids, I can only suggest you search for something like "Warnemunde for children/kids"  

For best results, note the spelling of Warnemunde..

I

Edited by edinburgher

We did a Baltic cruise with a 3 year old, and he loved it.  Most of the ports were different, but if you are still considering other cruises I'd recommend reading the cruise review for my Baltic cruise in my signature line below. The highlights of that trip for my son were Stockholm, Tallinn, St. Petersburg and Copenhagen.  We also visited Warmeneude.   Since my son really loves trains, we decided to spend the day visiting the Moli steam train. You can get a sense of what the Moli is like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcNrBY8VqGw . The Moli train makes a very scenic tour passing through Bad Doberan very close to the buildings and visits beautiful fields and trees. We took the s-bahn to get from Warmeneude to Bad Doberan. You need to switch trains in Rostock. Please check the schedule, since you might need to wait in Rostock for the next train (we missed our connection and needed to wait a half hour in Rostock). We might have been better off taking bus #119, which is a 30 minute direct bus to Bad Doberan. It leaves once an hour, so you need to check the timetable to see which public transportation option would be fastest, and consider the fact that the bus station is further away than the train station (possibly a 10-15 minute walk). The Molli steam train is timed to meet up with arriving buses and trains in Bad Doberean so you shouldn't have to wait there once you arrive.

Bad Doberan has several charming cafes with outdoor seating, where you can enjoy an ice cream and watch as the Moli train passes inches from your table. Due to the rain, we ate at Cafe Zikke, which was off the main street in Bad Doberan and had more indoor seating than the restaurants on the main street. The flammkuchen was excellent (the waitress described these as savory tarts, and it was similar to a pizza). Overall, it was a lovely and enjoyable day, but had we not been traveling with our son we probably would have chosen a cruise that arrived in Germany on a day other than a Monday so we could visit the Schwerin castle and tour historic Wismar.

The town of Warnemünde is a lovely seaside village that is very pleasant to walk around. We had an excellent seafood dinner at Twee Linden, which is within walking distance of the port:

( http://www.yelp.de/biz/twee-linden-warnemünde )

• Thanks 1