LIVE - Adventure of the Seas - July 17, 2021

32 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

No, but nice use of the term "contiguous holds". Very salty. I like it. Keep trying (not much longer until I divulge the answer, unless someone gets it first).

How about this?  Original design of bulk carriers on GReat Lakes was a 'whaleback' but when loaded the bow had the look of a pig's snout (easier to maximize amount of cargo through the existing locks) and over 100 years ago the ships were refered to as 'pig boats'.  Traditionally, lakers are still called boats even though their design/look has changed significantly over the years.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

How about this?  Original design of bulk carriers on GReat Lakes was a 'whaleback' but when loaded the bow had the look of a pig's snout (easier to maximize amount of cargo through the existing locks) and over 100 years ago the ships were refered to as 'pig boats'.  Traditionally, lakers are still called boats even though their design/look has changed significantly over the years.

That's very good, especially wrt the history going back to whalebacks. Very, very good attempt and I give you an A+ for effort.

The only thing I can say in response is; not all Great Lakes freighters can be referred to as "boats". But, I like your reply!

• Like 2

We had a fun last day at the Grand Lucayan resort. I don’t think it’s worth  the cost yet. I say yet because they are just starting to gear up again. That and we are in the port for a short period of time. Drinks were great and we had the whole place pretty much to ourselves. 

F9AFF04E-405C-418F-B51D-0486F264B580.jpeg

29AFBD32-F7E2-4E35-B7A5-4F2AA3FC073D.jpeg

BF415737-C155-4EF7-AA84-90E07CFEC289.jpeg

7643CB3A-B839-4A6F-BC9E-152AE5F6A323.jpeg

ED0B9491-E376-41FB-9597-B7EFD80345AF.jpeg

F772EE4E-9C52-4465-A458-8177A58EB239.jpeg

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

This is what wiki said. I didn’t see anything about whalebacks.

Lake freighters, or lakers, are bulk carrier vessels that ply the Great Lakes of North America. These vessels are traditionally called boats, although classified as ships.[1][2]

Actually, this is not totally correct. As I posted earlier, not all Great Lakes freighters can be called "boats". You guys are really close. *hint - all you guys have to do is put 2 & 2 together...

Edited by MorganClark

4 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I guess I'm outa here, thanks to both of you for all the good times we followed, on to the Freedom Live Review!

Thanks for following. But don't leave just yet, I'm going to reveal the answer to the Great Lakes boat/ship trivia question.

O.k., let's end the suspense (thIs was fun, thanks for "playing"). 

The reason I said "ore" was an important clue was that the only Great Lakes freighters (ships) that can be called "boats" are the bulk ore carriers. They are also called "ore boats" up on the Lakes. Hence, these ships can be called "boats". They have to be ore carriers.

For example, I did a ship ride on a Great Lakes bulk cement carrier. You cannot call this cement carrier a "boat". It's a cement carrier or even "Laker". Btw, ore boats are Lakers also.

Hope you all had fun with this little bit of Great Lakes shipping trivia (I did). Your welcome.

Edited by MorganClark
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

O.k., let's end the suspension (thIs was fun, thanks for "playing"). 

The reason I said "ore" was an important clue was that the only Great Lakes freighters (ships) that can be called "boats" are the bulk ore carriers. They are also called "ore boats" up on the Lakes. Hence, these ships are also called "boats". They have to be ore carriers.

For example, I did a ship ride on a Great Lakes bulk cement carrier. You cannot call this cement carrier a "boat". 

Hope you all had fun with this little bit of Great Lakes shipping trivia (I did). Your welcome.

Yep, it was interesting.  Never been to the Great Lakes.  I should see if there are Great Lakes cruises!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

O.k., let's end the suspense (thIs was fun, thanks for "playing"). 

The reason I said "ore" was an important clue was that the only Great Lakes freighters (ships) that can be called "boats" are the bulk ore carriers. They are also called "ore boats" up on the Lakes. Hence, these ships can be called "boats". They have to be ore carriers.

For example, I did a ship ride on a Great Lakes bulk cement carrier. You cannot call this cement carrier a "boat". It's a cement carrier or even "Laker". Btw, ore boats are Lakers also.

I saw oreboats on wiki but I didn’t think that’s what you were looking for. 🧐

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MorganClark said:

when I went up there, the sign said due to wind conditions. I'm guessing that they close it off when the ship is fully underway and open it back up when the ship is in port.

I think it depends on who the captain is. Some cruises it has been closed at night, other cruises it was never closed, and others it was hit and miss.... and that is just on Adventure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1