Lanyards for Sea Pass-- the are probably no longer needed, right?

A few years ago, I bought a fancy Coach lanyard with patent neck strap and fabric holder.  But the convenience and comfort of the traditional nylon strap with spoolie-type holder lanyard is much more convenient and comfortable to wear.  And if someone has enough time and pettiness on their hands to judge me for it not being "cool," that's on them, not me.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Is it cool to wear your lanyard and fanny pack together?  Do you get extra fashion points if you add your black socks with your sandals? 

I plan on wearing white socks with green and gold stripes

https://www.amazon.com/SKATERSOCKS-Skater-Socks-Green-Gold-Stripes/dp/B00M1XOUOG/ref=asc_df_B00M1XOUOG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242353299591&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13495690617975163548&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032257&hvtargid=pla-389047137497&psc=1

• Like 1

Most women, like myself,  seem to rely on purses or handbags more than pockets, although and I have seen a few women carrying little purses around on cruise ships.

I must be a dinosaur left over from the 90's - back when we were an active duty military family, with frequent trips to Disney World, and later on, long flights to and from Japan, I started using a fanny pack. I still do - the one that I have just seems to last and last, cruise after cruise, as well as on trips to places like Las Vegas. 

I guess lanyards don't bother us because hubby, as an educator, always had to wear an ID badge and I, who worked for the local government, had to wear one as well. Lanyards are much more efficient and a lot easier to remember to slip off your neck so you don't accidentally throw them in the laundry. 

So, even though I may look unfashionable, I prefer the term "retro," thank you very much. 😛

Edited by sushitex
  • Like 5

On 7/12/2021 at 4:57 PM, bstel said:

Having a phone is sadly becoming a necessity.  Based on the June Adventure sailings, you needed your phone for making reservations and all the restaurants and bars has QR codes for the menus.  You still could request a hard copy menu, but they are definitely trying to get rid of paper.

I am also pretty sure on the 6/12 Adventure sailing you had to request a paper copy of the Ship Times thing that gave you the day's itinerary (cant remember the actual name), but by the 6/19 sailing they had gone back to putting a paper copy in your room each night, so there must have been some pushback.

I hope they have paper menus when we go.  Otherwise it will take us forever to order.  My husband has a terrible time reading the phone menus.  I'm not even sure his phone has a QR reader. & 1 of us will have to share with our son who takes FOREVER to decide. My phone made mine easier to find QR in a recent update but it'll still take me a few minutes to figure it out as I never use it.  I just know I've seen it more frequently.  Lol.

23 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Now I'm embarrassed.  I have always used a lanyard.  I had no idea how unfashionable I looked.  I'm going to have a lanyard burning party tonight!

Don't worry about what someone else thinks.  I don't care for the look myself, however, I also don't like digging in my purse for it in a hurry so I use it.  In fact, I carry my son's as well when he's with us, so I'm doubly unfashionable.  I also wear white after Labor Day so take that however you want.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

The green in the socks and in the Fanny pack are different shades and clash. 

The fashion police may remove you from the ship

33 minutes ago, VicRock said:

I hope they have paper menus when we go.  Otherwise it will take us forever to order.  My husband has a terrible time reading the phone menus.  I'm not even sure his phone has a QR reader. & 1 of us will have to share with our son who takes FOREVER to decide. My phone made mine easier to find QR in a recent update but it'll still take me a few minutes to figure it out as I never use it.  I just know I've seen it more frequently.  Lol.

Paper menus were available just by asking on Adventure of the Seas out of Nassau at all restaurants. The QR Code is just a convenience, either way you need the Royal App installed, and you can just go to the app yourself and get to the dining room daily menu or specialty restaurant menu that way rather than relying on the QR code to take you there.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:53 PM, Tree_skier said:

Now I'm embarrassed.  I have always used a lanyard.  I had no idea how unfashionable I looked.  I'm going to have a lanyard burning party tonight!

Why? I would not ever wear one, but who cares what I think? Only me... that's who. 

You should do what is best for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikew0805 said:

Why? I would not ever wear one, but who cares what I think? Only me... that's who. 

You should do what is best for you.

Sorry Mike I was just being facetious. I don't care what others think either.  I should have put a smiley at the end of my post.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Sorry Mike I was just being facetious. I don't care what others think either.  I should have put a smiley at the end of my post.

Excellent.. I am the same when it comes to what others think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VicRock said:

All you have to do is open your camera, it will read and open the QR code and then the menu.  No special reader needed.  Having said that, I’m not crazy about menus on my phone either.  I’d prefer a paper copy.

11 hours ago, poocher said:

All you have to do is open your camera, it will read and open the QR code and then the menu.  No special reader needed.  Having said that, I’m not crazy about menus on my phone either.  I’d prefer a paper copy.

If you don't have wifi, how do the QR codes work? 

On the few cruises we've been on, there's been a few people wearing lanyards at the start, then every day there would be more and more people.  Convenience trumps looks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

If you don't have wifi, how do the QR codes work? 

On the few cruises we've been on, there's been a few people wearing lanyards at the start, then every day there would be more and more people.  Convenience trumps looks.  

Hey, I’m a tech dummy.  I know how to get my phone to read it.  Never claimed to know how it works from there!!😁😁

• Like 1

Everyone should choose what works for them! Last cruise I got a lanyard after multiple times cruising without one.   Hubby was tired of me always asking for my card and I was tired of asking him for it or forgetting it and didn’t always want to carry a bag with me.  A lot of my cruise clothes are without pockets too, so I’m bringing my lanyard-my choice-my comfort!

Smooth seas with or without your lanyard😄

It has to be high sarcasm that anyone would consider wearing a lanyard on a cruise "uncool" or "poorly dressed."

Has anyone here even looked at fellow passengers clothing choices onboard over the last several years?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1