Continued saga Spirit of Adventure Postcards from the Baltic 29th August 2021

Gill1St

Glendale, you can pick up a kit and get some help and advice from the instructor but there is no formal group. I suspect there may be informal groups of 2 or 3 gathering in the  quieter communal areas for mutual chat and support but I’ve not seen any myself, only individuals.

• Like 1

Yes thank you for all the information. I have 2 questions, usually there are art classes and I am wondering if it's worth bringing my art materials and secondly can anyone get of the ship if not on a tour?  Enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

6 minutes ago, Lmwo said:

Yes thank you for all the information. I have 2 questions, usually there are art classes and I am wondering if it's worth bringing my art materials and secondly can anyone get of the ship if not on a tour?  Enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

At the moment no one can leave the ship unless they are on a ship's tour and they must stay within the groups bubble. No shopping.

A little bit of action since I last wrote. At the last minute Poland refused us entry , Covid fears have been cited, so Gdańsk was cancelled and we went to Visby instead. This is Swedish territory. About half the trips had set off and we were about to go the meeting point when we were asked to return to our cabins as there was a possible covid case. (The instruction is that if you have any covid symptoms, vomiting or signs of a gastro-intestinal illness you should stay in your cabin and ring an emergency number.) After @1hour the captain said we could resume activity. The suspected case had been transferred to the isolation facility and close contacts tested. We boarded our coach and had an excellent walking tour around Visby.

We are now berthed at Bornholm and have all been tested (nasal swab) this morning as we are re-entering Denmark. This is necessary even for people not going ashore as it is apparently part of the return to UK procedures.

I have asked about the Day 2 test and have been told that this will be an early morning sputum test with no breakfast, cup of tea or teeth cleaning beforehand which might presumably contaminate the sample. The samples will be sent to a laboratory and we will be contacted at home with the result. When we leave Bornholm this afternoon we have a 2 sea day journey home so this has been agreed with the authorities as a valid procedure.

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Silverbike said:

A little bit of action since I last wrote. At the last minute Poland refused us entry , Covid fears have been cited, so Gdańsk was cancelled and we went to Visby instead. This is Swedish territory. About half the trips had set off and we were about to go the meeting point when we were asked to return to our cabins as there was a possible covid case. (The instruction is that if you have any covid symptoms, vomiting or signs of a gastro-intestinal illness you should stay in your cabin and ring an emergency number.) After @1hour the captain said we could resume activity. The suspected case had been transferred to the isolation facility and close contacts tested. We boarded our coach and had an excellent walking tour around Visby.

We are now berthed at Bornholm and have all been tested (nasal swab) this morning as we are re-entering Denmark. This is necessary even for people not going ashore as it is apparently part of the return to UK procedures.

I have asked about the Day 2 test and have been told that this will be an early morning sputum test with no breakfast, cup of tea or teeth cleaning beforehand which might presumably contaminate the sample. The samples will be sent to a laboratory and we will be contacted at home with the result. When we leave Bornholm this afternoon we have a 2 sea day journey home so this has been agreed with the authorities as a valid procedure.

Hope this helps.

On Viking Ocean we had to do a PCR test every morning, before anything else. The test would be left on a tray at evening turndown and we would put them on bedside cabinet so that we didn't forget. All ships had processing labs fitted.

7 hours ago, Silverbike said:

I have asked about the Day 2 test and have been told that this will be an early morning sputum test with no breakfast, cup of tea or teeth cleaning beforehand which might presumably contaminate the sample. The samples will be sent to a laboratory and we will be contacted at home with the result

What about the test that you are required to do before being allowed back into the UK?  That is obviously different to the one describe, as you need to show a negative result prior to disembarkation. 

We took a test yesterday at our last port of call which was accepted by the Danish authorities. I have just completed the form needed to enter the uk which makes no mention of being tested previously. Since all the guests on board are doing the same thing I feel confident that this is ok.

It’s tricky when you have to submit a list of countries and dates of visits when you are on a cruise but Saga has given screenshots of the form with details inserted. Help and advice is available for people who do not have an email facility on board and their forms will be printed out.

We had to call Saga yesterday about our October cruise, and took the opportunity to ask about tests.  The lady who answered was very helpful, and said we would have a Lateral Flow Test (LTF) in the car park before boarding, and another test (presumably LTF again) in the final 72 hours of the trip, after which the ship would assist with filling in the Passenger Locator Forms, if required.

Finally, and this ties up with Silverbike's useful information, a sample will be taken on disembarkation day and sent away for analysis. The laboratory then send the results back to Saga, who will contact anyone who unfortunately had a positive result.  She said this counts as the mandatory test which has to be taken within 48 hours of entering the UK, maybe because our last two days are at sea and the powers that be have accepted this as effectively being back home.

All in all, it does sound to be well organised and as trouble-free as possible.

We’re now at home and trying to sort ourselves out. 
Luggage was taken from the corridor on Sunday night marked with our name and disembarkation group number
The actual disembarkation was very easy. We had been given the group number and a time slot so remained in the cabin till we were called. Shoreside there were no officials in sight. We collected our luggage from the marked pile. Our name was called out to the group of drivers gathered and off we went. The driver avoided the protestors blocking the M25 so we got home to Northamptonshire in 2 hours.

No phonecall  re the final test so life is continuing as usual.

When we left the UK about 90% of shoppers in our local stores were wearing masks. The position 2 weeks later is now reversed. Definitely a case of culture shock!

Enjoy your travels!

S

17 hours ago, Silverbike said:

We’re now at home and trying to sort ourselves out. 
Luggage was taken from the corridor on Sunday night marked with our name and disembarkation group number
The actual disembarkation was very easy. We had been given the group number and a time slot so remained in the cabin till we were called. Shoreside there were no officials in sight. We collected our luggage from the marked pile. Our name was called out to the group of drivers gathered and off we went. The driver avoided the protestors blocking the M25 so we got home to Northamptonshire in 2 hours.

No phonecall  re the final test so life is continuing as usual.

When we left the UK about 90% of shoppers in our local stores were wearing masks. The position 2 weeks later is now reversed. Definitely a case of culture shock!

Enjoy your travels!

S

Thanks again for all the information, and giving us a flavour of the cruise;  we're looking forward even more to our October trip.

Edited by Sekhmet