Jump to content

Judge dismisses lawsuit brought against RCCL


Recommended Posts

On 7/14/2021 at 12:59 PM, Ashland said:

The law does at times reach the right decision.

No one should feel sorry for the grandpa...it was completely his fault no matter how some have tried to spin this !!! 

Agreed. He needs to have dumb a$$ written across his forehead. It's just mind boggling that he did that.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do think the family signed with the lawyer when they weren't "in their right mind", and I'm going to assume that contract would have had them pay for his (and his employee's time) if they decided to drop the suit before it went to court.  That's why I think they never dropped the suit.  

 

I'm guessing (hoping) an appeal won't actually be filed.  The claim that it will is just "lawyer speak". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I do think the family signed with the lawyer when they weren't "in their right mind", and I'm going to assume that contract would have had them pay for his (and his employee's time) if they decided to drop the suit before it went to court.  That's why I think they never dropped the suit.  
 

 

If I remember correctly the mom was a district attorney and the father was in law enforcement, perhaps it was a sheriff.  They may have been distraught but both of their minds should have known their way around the legal system and what type of agreement to sign with a lawyer. 

 

 

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'm guessing (hoping) an appeal won't actually be filed.  The claim that it will is just "lawyer speak". 


I hope it won’t be either.  This family has been through enough, for no fault of anyone other than her father in-law. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was an avid reader and poster on this forum's threads when this needless situation occurred. I'm relieved and thankful Royal Caribbean has been found not responsible for the death of Cloe, may she RIP.

 

I found myself "liking" many posts as I read through this thread. I see everyone who has posted so far is in agreement with the decision of the judge. We all finally agree on something!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want to take risks , you should do it with your own life , not someone elses.

If you want to drive really fast , do it with nobody else in the car , or go sky diving. 

You should not subject others to your reckless behavior .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

 

If I remember correctly the mom was a district attorney and the father was in law enforcement, perhaps it was a sheriff.  They may have been distraught but both of their minds should have known their way around the legal system and what type of agreement to sign with a lawyer. 

 

 


I hope it won’t be either.  This family has been through enough, for no fault of anyone other than her father in-law. 

Oh, I totally agree they "should have known better" before signing with the ambulance chaser.  But, I'd rather believe they really couldn't get out of the contract than they really thought Royal was at fault. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Oh, I totally agree they "should have known better" before signing with the ambulance chaser.  But, I'd rather believe they really couldn't get out of the contract than they really thought Royal was at fault. 


I understand the impulse to not think the worst of the parents, but they've gone "above and beyond" just allowing the lawsuit to go forward because they couldn't get out of the contract they signed in a moment of weakness.

They did televised media interviews where they went on and on about how they want the cruise ships fixed so they're not so dangerous so this doesn't happen to someone else's child, etc., completely glossing over the fact that in spite of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of children having cruised on ships designed exactly this same way for a few decades, nobody ever once has dropped a child out an open window on a cruise ship.... until Grandpa Anello did it.   

Edited by brillohead
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, brillohead said:


I understand the impulse to not think the worst of the parents, but they've gone "above and beyond" just allowing the lawsuit to go forward because they couldn't get out of the contract they signed in a moment of weakness.

They did televised media interviews where they went on and on about how they want the cruise ships fixed so they're not so dangerous so this doesn't happen to someone else's child, etc., completely glossing over the fact that in spite of hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of children having cruised on ships designed exactly this same way for a few decades, nobody ever once has dropped a child out an open window on a cruise ship.... until Grandpa Anello did it.   

Right.  You want to make a bet the lawyer made them do that?   I honestly have no idea how these kind of contracts are written.  But saying "we believe grandpa is at fault" basically submarines the case.   I'm just guessing.  

 

I've thought since the start RCI should have zero culpability, it was all the grandfather.  I'm disappointed the parents, who have some legal background, would get suckered in by an ambulance chaser to begin with.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That poor little baby girl could of banged on the glass , in a bar smoking area , till the cow's come home ... but a step grandfather picked her up after already leaning over a handrail and ....

 

RiP little Angel 🙏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

That poor little baby girl could of banged on the glass , in a bar smoking area , till the cow's come home ... but a step grandfather picked her up after already leaning over a handrail and ....

 

RiP little Angel 🙏

She could have banged on the glass [in the same spot] at floor level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

She could have banged on the glass [in the same spot] at floor level.

? Is that not what I said.? no one picked here up at the hockey game ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI

 

Homicide - Homicide is the act of one human killing another. A homicide requires only a volitional act by another person that results in death, and thus a homicide may result from accidental, reckless, or negligent acts even if there is no intent to cause harm.

 

Murder - Murder is the unlawful killing of another human without justification or valid excuse, especially the unlawful killing of another human with malice aforethought.

 

Homicide was the most likely the proper charge.  Hard to prove malice aforethought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2021 at 10:39 AM, Another_Critic said:

She could have banged on the glass [in the same spot] at floor level.

Like she did in the photos the family shared of her doing so at hockey game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2021 at 6:56 AM, matj2000 said:

I just cannot understand why they would leave a window open in a "children's play area'..

 

 

Have you read the threads and seen the pictures and such?

 

It was NOT a children's play area.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, SRF said:

 

 

Have you read the threads and seen the pictures and such?

 

It was NOT a children's play area.

Methinks the previous poster was speaking tongue in cheek (or at least that's how I took it).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Methinks the previous poster was speaking tongue in cheek (or at least that's how I took it).

Ya , i think so too .

I enjoy reading Matt`s posts . Always thought provoking .🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...