Quietest cabin for trans-Atlantic cruise?

Hi, I'm planning to take the Viking San Juan to Barcelona cruise within the next two years.  I'm completely unfamiliar with the ship(s) layout of the cabins, decks, and public areas but would like to find out the quietest cabin possible.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  

1 minute ago, JB52 said:

Hi, I'm planning to take the Viking San Juan to Barcelona cruise within the next two years.  I'm completely unfamiliar with the ship(s) layout of the cabins, decks, and public areas but would like to find out the quietest cabin possible.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  

The forums for 'Viking Ocean' and 'Cabin Selection Tips' may have better information.

For a start, look for rooms where all the surrounding spaces [above, below, forward, aft and across the corridor] are passenger cabins.

Another thing to look for is a location that is midships, and on a lower deck [less perceived motion when the ship rolls or pitches].

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I’ll suggest that you ask the question at the Viking Ocean board - I’m not familiar with Viking ships but also mention which ship. Ships can be very different.

But in general I do not think the noise levels in the cabins is different for a TA cruise compared to any other cruise.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/

• Like 1

I am not going to recommend a particular cabin but will say that cabins not close to the elevators or stairs and that have other cabins above and below it versus lounges or restaurants are a good bet.

Would not recommend anywhere near where the anchor chain is.  I stayed on the 4th deck about 4 cabins away from the "free" laundry room.  Never had any trouble with noise.

Stan

• Like 1

Thanks for these answers.  Today's my first time on this forum, and I didn't know about specific places to post.  I'll go now to the Viking board.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JB52 said:

All cabins are rather quiet. Come on over to the Viking Board and join us. - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/689-viking-ocean/

given the average age of a Viking passenger

and a NO KIDS policy ......

IME NOISE is NOT a problem ........

last time we were fairly close to an elevator and NEVER heard anything from it

If there was ONE thing I'd avoid: close to the laundry, People coming and going ALL the time . . . 

• 2 weeks later...

The quietest cabin I have ever had was on deck 2 on a ship that only had about 15 cabins on that level.  That was the cabin with the medical room and rooms cruisers could not go in.  Deck 3 was all cabins.  Take a look at the ship layout floor by floor and find those cabins that are setoff by themselves with nothing above them.

It is diffficult from most cruise ship website deck plans to see what is above and below any  given cabin. Each deck can be a different length. You can estimate where your proposed cabin is by looking at the elevator location in the above and below decks relative to yours.

There is a site called cruisedeckplans.com where you can actually drag one deck of the ship atop another to see this information. I find it very useful.

Edited by Pudgesmom

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2021 at 8:52 AM, Pudgesmom said:

It is diffficult from most cruise ship website deck plans to see what is above and below any  given cabin. Each deck can be a different length. You can estimate where your proposed cabin is by looking at the elevator location in the above and below decks relative to yours.

I also use https://www.cruisedeckplans.com so I can see each deck for every ship. They also have a cabin check tool the shows you directly what is above and below your selected cabin - very useful.

I was recently booking a Carnival cruise (we typically cruise with HAL or Celebrity). I almost booked a cabin on deck 5 as I "know" deck 4 is all cabins. Just took a quick look to confirm before I pushed the book button and OOPS - that ship had a dance club on deck 4 directly under my selected cabin...a dance club that OPENED at 11 PM - well after our bed time. 

The site can also show the interior of many staterooms. AND it is free...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

I also use https://www.cruisedeckplans.com so I can see each deck for every ship. They also have a cabin check tool the shows you directly what is above and below your selected cabin - very useful.

I was recently booking a Carnival cruise (we typically cruise with HAL or Celebrity). I almost booked a cabin on deck 5 as I "know" deck 4 is all cabins. Just took a quick look to confirm before I pushed the book button and OOPS - that ship had a dance club on deck 4 directly under my selected cabin...a dance club that OPENED at 11 PM - well after our bed time. 

The site can also show the interior of many staterooms. AND it is free...

Actually, if you read the post directly above yours, you will find that that is the exact website I have recommended…

Edited by Pudgesmom

3 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

Actually, if you read the post directly above yours, you will find that that is the exact website I have recommended…

Yes - I saw that when I went just finished typing/sending mine...

But I gave the full URL - and a prettier font...but I will give you two points for being first.

Of course - great (Texas) minds think alike I guess...

• Like 1