Seabourn not accepting UK passport holders for the next three cruises?

SLSD

I just read that SB is not accepting UK passport holders for the next cruises this summer?

Does anyone know anything about this?  I find it a bit alarming--together with the news of the variant on the rise in the US.  

Edited by SLSD

Just now, Jane21 said:

I booked a September 21 cruise today with Seabourn UK - UK passport holder.

OK.  That's good news.  I read that some were cancelled on their upcoming cruises.  I hope there is just confusion on this--and it is not accurate.  However, they seemed quite sure.  It makes me worry going forward--things still seem so uncertain.  

5 minutes ago, marazul said:

What I read is that they canceled the next 3 weeks for UK residents. Can't find the posts now. Deleted? Don't know anything else. 

I've been trying to find something definitive.  What I read is that the SB legal team was involved in making the decision for SB.  If I find a definitive article, I will post it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jane21 said:

Where have you seen this?

I saw it in a FB group where someone said they had been cancelled by SB.   I'm probably running afoul of the Cruise Critic SB police now as I don't have definitive information.  Just asking for it if anyone knows and asking for definitive information.  

It concerns me as a US citizens as well because our virus rate is on the rise again due to the variant and there refusal of many to be vaccinated.  Our government could once again ban cruise travel I suppose.  

Edited by SLSD

15 minutes ago, Jane21 said:

I will call tomorrow and ask. Is is important to know as I have just booked and in process of booking flights.

Hopefully, your TA was up to speed and the September bookings are not affected.  I wish I could find something definitive.  

I have no idea if it's true SLSD, but what is true is that the UK Foreign Office advice is that they advise against international cruise travel.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

This has been the case since last July and is still in place. To travel against Foreign Office advice means that most insurers will not cover. We have been trying to get travel insurance for a Greece cruise in September and are unable to find an insurer that will cover the cruise. 

Some people may be happy to travel without insurance, but we are not. So for us the cruise will not happen.

Seabourn has a stipulation in the contract for UK cruisers stating that we must have comprehensive insurance including health cover. So perhaps what you heard is true, based on the lack of insurance for the UK market.

If any UK cruiser can find a comprehensive travel insurance policy that will provide cover for travel ON A CRUISE against FO advice, please let me know. We have tried all of the majors and they will orovide an add on for travel against FO advise for a land trip, but not for a cruise. 

Edited by Isklaar

Hi

you can get cover for the Seabourn cruises from the UK but these are not your standard policies.

Staysure happy to offer me cover for a Seabourn Greek cruise but not international cruises.

Lloyds of London policy for an international cruise ie Barbados.

Both policies acknowledge you are booking a cruise against FCDO advice.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Seabourn has a stipulation in the contract for UK cruisers stating that we must have comprehensive insurance including health cover. So perhaps what you heard is true, based on the lack of insurance for the UK market.

If any UK cruiser can find a comprehensive travel insurance policy that will provide cover for travel ON A CRUISE against FO advice, please let me know. We have tried all of the majors and they will orovide an add on for travel against FO advise for a land trip, but not for a cruise. 

I am thinking that the SB legal department (as it was mentioned by those who were cancelled) has said that they will not accept passengers from the UK because they cannot get insurance.  I am not trying to gossip or talk about things third hand.  I'm asking if anyone has definitive info on this.  It's just one more thing that makes us very reluctant to book a cruise.  I think we may be booking at the last minute when we finally book. 

Isklaar, What I am reading is the the travel advice from the UK government has not changed, but Seabourn's response to it has changed.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jane21 said:

Hi

you can get cover for the Seabourn cruises from the UK but these are not your standard policies.

Staysure happy to offer me cover for a Seabourn Greek cruise but not international cruises.

Lloyds of London policy for an international cruise ie Barbados.

Both policies acknowledge you are booking a cruise against FCDO advice.

Thank you.

Staysure told me on Tuesday that they wouldn't cover for the Greek cruise!

Their reason was because all  international cruises  are against FCDO advice. 
We've been trying to sort cover for weeks and tried lots of different companies.

What a mess! Will speak to Staysure again tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I am thinking that the SB legal department (as it was mentioned by those who were cancelled) has said that they will not accept passengers from the UK because they cannot get insurance.  I am not trying to gossip or talk about things third hand.  I'm asking if anyone has definitive info on this.  It's just one more thing that makes us very reluctant to book a cruise.  I think we may be booking at the last minute when we finally book. 

Isklaar, What I am reading is the the travel advice from the UK government has not changed, but Seabourn's response to it has changed.  

It makes sense.

It's true that under normal circumstances Seabourn does insist that UK guests are fully insured, although we have never been asked bynSB to disclose our policy details to confirm.

Ring 0207 937 6981

Their policy includes all medical except coronavirus BUT that is the one thing that Seabourn actually cover you for !

I was very pleasantly surprised with international cruise price.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

I saw it in a FB group where someone said they had been cancelled by SB

This is why I avoid FB because it is rife with rumours. Some may turn out to be true but many are speculation and opinion based.

Edited by frantic36

I can confirm that this afternoon my TA rang me to tell me that my cruise on the Ovation on 31st July would not be happening for me. 

The reason is that Carnival lawyers have looked at the UK government website and are not happy that the advice to UK passport holders is to not travel on a cruise ship unless it is in UK waters.

They are concerned that should something happen that it would put them in a difficult situation legally.

UK guests are aboard right now as we know several of them.

Guests that arrived in Atgens today ahead of the July 17th sailing were telephoned by my TA to tell them the bad news.

The TA was doing all they could to get Seabourn to accept them as they had already arrived in Greece.

I immediately thought of how I would be able to get to go on my vacation and discussed with my TA about switching to the new Silversea Silver Moon that is also sailing on a Greek isles itinerary.

After contacting a senior Silversea person my TA was told that Silversea had no reason to to change their plans regarding boarding guests from the UK.

I have reserved two ten night cruises back to back and will put everything in place Tomorrow morning when I have checked flight prices and availability.

I am not happy with Seabourns decision but I do understand how lawyers think and am perfectly happy to proceed with Silversea going forward.

I get to go away for my birthday and get twenty nights rather than fourteen. 

I would rather sail with Seabourn as I always do but sailing with Silversea after a long while will be interesting and on their new ship Silver Moon which has had good reviews.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Luxury said:

Hopefully will do Julie

Hope you are both well.

Both well here. Enjoying staycations in our home State as risky to even try to visit other States with the snap border closures. We get our second AZ  tomorrow so happy about that.

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

This is why I avoid FB because it is rife with rumours. Some may turn out to be true but many are speculation and opinion based.

I am on a couple of Seabourn Facebook groups and it is a lot like Cruise Critic in that people are Seabourn cruisers and booking cruises and concerned about all the details.  I have no reason to doubt the information.  I shared it because I thought it was important.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I am on a couple of Seabourn Facebook groups and it is a lot like Cruise Critic in that people are Seabourn cruisers and booking cruises and concerned about all the details.  I have no reason to doubt the information.  I shared it because I thought it was important.  

Glad you shared it - I only booked today. Will be speaking to them tomorrow!