July 25, 2021 Live From Majestic Princess Alaska sailing

I have been following this topic with rapt attention! I asked the following question a couple of times and saw no answer. I've looked posts over carefully but I do have a full head of gray hair :classic_biggrin:. I know the Princess site states that the Enclave in the spa would be closed for 2021cruises (the Enclave takes the place of almost any excursions  for us in Alaska as we have taken most all of the ones of interest to us). Could someone report (in your spare time :classic_rolleyes:) back on the situation? Thanks in advance! 

Leon 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, farsight said:

I have been following this topic with rapt attention! I asked the following question a couple of times and saw no answer. I've looked posts over carefully but I do have a full head of gray hair :classic_biggrin:. I know the Princess site states that the Enclave in the spa would be closed for 2021cruises (the Enclave takes the place of almost any excursions  for us in Alaska as we have taken most all of the ones of interest to us). Could someone report (in your spare time :classic_rolleyes:) back on the situation? Thanks in advance! 

Leon 

I'm not on the cruise but I'm going on the 8th, and I'm wondering the same thing. I called the line today and asked as I saw that the couples pass has come down in price, and the rep seemed under the impression that it was open and there were no changes, but I'd love to hear from someone on board.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tutuwahineLV said:

Y'all, please remember that it's been longer than just a year for the people in Alaska.  Their 'tourist season' ended late sept early oct 2019, with them fully expecting to see the ships return in May 2020.  Which obv didn't happen, and this season is drastically shorter than the usual one.  Please, PLEASE!  get off the ship!  support the business's that are open, that's how these people are gonna get back on their feet.  Buy another T-shirt, grab a coffee, lets all do whatever we can to help these communities who depend on the cruise ship industry.... 

Skagway brewery is still open, go grab a pint of Spruce Tip Blonde! 😋

• Like 19

1 hour ago, SeaTacMike said:

Ahoy ! ! ! 
Did anyone notice if there was transportation from the ship into downtown Skagway for those who are unable to do the long walk?  Wondering if it's even worth it.... hearing that it's a ghost town.

The shuttle is still going, but I overheard there are only two vans going. There was a group of five complaining loudly that they had been waiting too long to go back to the pier. 

The golf carts from the ship to the end of the start of the piers are running as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, tutuwahineLV said:

woo hooo!  I'm bringing home some books!  (only thing I like better than yarn and crocheting)  

Oh my friend. One of the few places still open in town here is the local Yarn shop. Hand spun and hand dyed local product. Very dangerous store indeed!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChangeOrder said:

Unless you really need to take the train, just stay on the ship in Skagway. The town is dead and most of the shops are gone.

How sad.  Skagway is always my favorite stop on that cruise.  There was a cafe (name?) that had the best halibut sandwich.  Here's hoping they all come back!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Denali2003 said:

Someone mentioned the Wine Dinner Table.  What is that?  Thank you 

It's only available on Royal-Class ships in the MDR Wine Cellars with limited participation for 12 people costing $40/pp. Great service, meal & wine that can only be requested onboard through the DINE line.

For more details do a search for Princess Cruises Winemakers Dinner where you'll find much more info.

• Like 2

With all the options for dining please let me know if and how they are doing the Baked Alaska Parade - it's usually on the last night. Still disappointed when they went away from actual flames.

Edited by mdamron
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

If I live to sail into Skagway a hundred times I would still want to sail in a hundred more. It’s a 3 hour slow roll through archipelago and fjord……snow capped mountains with rushing waterfalls, low lying forested islands…….simply stunning.  Especially from an aft cabin. 

The ship barely makes a wake almost as slow as glacier bay itself. This trip I was up  at 4 am and we get to port at 7 am. The trip out tonight will just as wonderful only different lighting. 

The entire sail so far Seattle to here has been like sailing on a lake. Barely any movement, just enough to know you’re sailing. 

A few more notes from my experiences.  My free elite laundry is 3 day turn around. My elite mini bar set up is identical to past ones. It does incl the brandy in the glass jar. I mention that because on my last sailing in 2019 the brandy wasn’t available. The PES happy hour has been the same as always. There’s a lovely singer who plays guitar. 

My Rivera deck aft cabin had a little soot the first day but yesterday and today there’s been none. I get a small faint whiff of smoke from the deck 17 aft smoking area occasionally. It passes quickly and does not linger. 

The ship position map is on the tv in the Patter section. It no longer includes longitude, latitude, temperature or sea depth. Just degrees, heading and speed. Also the zoom in out isn’t as fine tuned as before, meaning you go from too far out to too far in with one click. 

They don’t have the passport stamps or the pop out ships maps…the one with a picture of the ship and your room number on it. 

So I was talking to Neville last night and he said he will only have the one chef table for us. He is doing a wine table as well. He was talking about how special this first post pandemic chef table was for him. I echoed the feeling as he and I have had lots of good times at past chef tables. 

There are very few on board who wear masks.  I’ve stopped carrying mine around. I isolated before the trip and wore a kn95 on the plane and at all times in the hotel outside my room. Being vaccinated and careful I feel certain I didn’t carry covid with me on board. 

We meet, we socialize, we sit side by side at bars, we laugh, we sing along with songs, we eat with new friends…..nothing about this has changed. Since we have only 2286 or so pax the elevators have been very easy to get with the aft elevators of course the easiest as always. 

I was talking to Helen up decks after she almost won the first Yes/No Game show. That show was wet your pants fun! She and her son were masked up and I asked her if she wouldn’t mind letting me know why… we were outside and it isn’t even suggested there. Even though they are vaccinated, they come from Florida near the cruise ports and said it was such a hotbed of delta variant she was being extra cautious to not bring the variant onboard. She’s been on 81 cruise and her 19 year old sweet son has 31 under his belt. 
I can’t believe I’m able to post this using medallion net. 

1D0DAE77-703B-4F08-815F-0ED3456804B9.jpeg

FBC79772-CA1D-479A-9BC8-31E6FC30ACD0.jpeg

B3249B75-BD67-48FF-948A-2B657DA21AD7.jpeg

Could anyone check the room service menu, if there is one to see if you can still purchase the small 375ml Vodka or Jack Daniels bottle for your room?

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denali2003 said:

Someone mentioned the Wine Dinner Table.  What is that?  Thank you 

It is essentially like a mini chef's table with multiple courses with turns of different wines. At $40 per person. On the Royal classics in to the main dining rooms have a lovely table that's surrounded by a beautiful little wine cellar where they can tuck this dinner. During the meal the chef will come out and explain to you what's being served. 

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We arrived in Juneau a bit late, which normally wouldn’t be an issue in the very least but it pushed our all day tour back later than we would prefer.  
They allowed us an exception for us to cancel so late once we were notified of the schedule change.  

I have a few questions.  How late did you arrive?  How early did Princess notify you of the late arrival?  And did you ever find out the cause of the late arrival?

Thanks!

On 7/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, CruzinNoony said:

Am I to understand that we will be charged a fee for them to send us the medallion in the mail?

No.   A charge will show up if you ordered any of the accessories that are for sale.

2 minutes ago, jpearson50 said:

Oh, I did see that and just didn't register. Thank you!

You're welcome! I'm pretty sure that's what it was for tonight. I've been taking screenshots of all these menus so I had them to study and review.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 1

I never saw a confirmation that they were having a top 40 event and what number of days the cutoff for it was. I realize that my cruise in a few weeks will probably have more passengers, but it would be great to make the cut again. On my Alaskan cruises in 2019, there were fewer than 50 Elites on board.

• Like 1

Just now, geoherb said:

I never saw a confirmation that they were having a top 40 event and what number of days the cutoff for it was. I realize that my cruise in a few weeks will probably have more passengers, but it would be great to make the cut again. On my Alaskan cruises in 2019, there were fewer than 50 Elites on board.

Typically on the Alaskan cruises there is not as many elites on board as it tends to be more of a family itinerary or first time cruisers.

Not sure if they're doing the top 40 but my thought process is if it's held in a lounge or a restaurant or wherever it may be as long as they have just that group and there's like distancing it should be no problem one would think.

So when did mention that they were having the captain circle gathering still so, here's to hoping.

• Like 2