July 25, 2021 Live From Majestic Princess Alaska sailing

Thank you for all this information.

My wife Claire and I will be on the September 26th Cruise. I believe it is the last cruise for Princess to Alaska this "season". We are frequent  cruisers with almost 60 with Princess. First time on Majestic and I am sure reading this (all pages over several days) will help us navigating the details.

Again thank you,

John and Claire

@wowzzif you browse my posts starting from last Friday night you’ll find multiple smaller posts about our CC meeting with Jan and a short one regarding my one on one that Jan requested with me. 

@Informatics Nurse for chef table I always talk to the head waiter in the MDR that’s open for lunch embarkation day as soon as I can. I ask where I can find Maitre D’hotel. In the before times the Maitre d always had an office hour the first afternoon where you can talk about changes or accommodations if needed. Mirko told me they do that anymore with DMW. I honestly can’t remember if Neville found me or if I found him. But we found each other and that’s the person you need to talk to. Neville joked at CT that I twisted his arm, I joked right back that it was more of a wink and a smile. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Informatics Nurse said:

Thank you for this information. I guess they are monitoring the roll calls. I would also guess we would need to contact him, upon arrival? Or would you try the DINE line?  

Thanks again for all the info and for sharing your journey! 

In the past, you could 1) ask to be on the list at Pax Svcs, 2) call the dine line, 3) speak to a head waiter or the MD. Also, do it at the first possible moment. If there's a lot of interest, you could lose out.

We used #1.

2 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

I didn't see the afternoon tea event listed anywhere on day 7 patter.  I'd like to go on our upcoming cruise and need to know where to find it.

On the patters, where they list the opening hours of the various dining venues, it lists when afternoon tea is available in the Concerto dining room (deck 6 midships).

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Mirko told me they do that anymore with DMW.

If there is no session to get with the MD, how are people supposed to fix their dining res when DMW either doesn't work, or doesn't give them the right table size, etc.?  I was thinking they would be swamped more than usual with requests and fixes.  Or maybe they are just tossing TD overboard and going all open anytime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

you browse my posts starting from last Friday night you’ll find multiple smaller posts about our CC meeting with Jan and a short one regarding my one on one that Jan requested with me. 

I did browse your posts, and thank you again  for taking the time to post. I was just checking in case I had missed any. 

@Steelers36I just talked to the head waiter in Allegro where my reservation was changed to on the first night. He set me up with wonderful servers, Eduardo and Albert at 5:40 for the entire cruise. And the table was in an excellent location. I posted a picture of my view. 
I am happy to hear that pax are now being asked if they want to share. They let us share but we had to request it. 

@MissP22 I don’t know what the over 40 luncheon is so I can not answer. I know the top 3 most travelled pax had just under 900 days, a little over 1000 days and around 1900 days. 

@wowzzI had intended to do one post but then it just morphed into the various multiple ones. Jan is so genuine. She called me back for a private meeting because a question I had asked in the group of CC member meeting did not get answered and she wanted make sure I got an answer. 
if you mention her name to any crew member you will instantly see their eyes above their masks light up. She has met their needs, made them happy and in return they would do anything for her. This translates to the exemplary service on board.

I have the utmost admiration for her. She has done an amazing job under incredibly difficult circumstances. She pays attention and shifts on a dime. For example she discussed the overwhelming demand for “On Demand anywhere” food and beverages. She said they did not expect it to be sooooooo well utilized. I posted that while it worked from the minute we boarded it was an hour at least for anything. She shifted behind the scenes and the service got better everyday. A few days in I clocked a glass of wine to my cabin in 4 minutes flat!  

She also discussed the crew chat feature. The team had trained on what kind of questions they expected and how to answer them, putting resources on the ready for what they thought pax would need/want. She laughed and said they threw it all out after the first day because what we did was nothing like what they anticipated. Now the Majestic team rewrote the training and sent it all to the Regal so they would be better prepared. 

Kind of drives me crazy when people flame her not being perfect. People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. 

CA1DDE3C-4A06-4994-ADE6-A209822BBDB3.jpeg

B01744B0-1FCF-4087-A2D0-34786C7BA445.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Jan is so genuine. She called me back for a private meeting because a question I had asked in the group of CC member meeting did not get answered and she wanted make sure I got an answer. 

if you mention her name to any crew member you will instantly see their eyes above their masks light up. She has met their needs, made them happy and in return they would do anything for her. This translates to the exemplary service on board.

I have the utmost admiration for her. She has done an amazing job under incredibly difficult circumstances. She pays attention and shifts on a dime. For example she discussed the overwhelming demand for “On Demand anywhere” food and beverages. She said they did not expect it to be sooooooo well utilized. I posted that while it worked from the minute we boarded it was an hour at least for anything. She shifted behind the scenes and the service got better everyday. A few days in I clocked a glass of wine to my cabin in 4 minutes flat!  

She also discussed the crew chat feature. The team had trained on what kind of questions they expected and how to answer them, putting resources on the ready for what they thought pax would need/want. She laughed and said they threw it all out after the first day because what we did was nothing like what they anticipated. Now the Majestic team rewrote the training and sent it all to the Regal so they would be better prepared. 

Kind of drives me crazy when people flame her not being perfect. People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. 

Thanks so much for a personal and personable insight to Jan Swartz.  Vicariously through you is the closest I have been to her, but seeing her in other videos, interviews, etc, I believe what you have written.  It may seem corny, but I really like Princess and like most everything about our cruise experience.  I care about their success.  My only beef is with what I consider an incompetent IT Team that built the MC App.  But, slowly they are making progress and getting that fixed.  What really counts is the ship's crew and I have rarely been disappointed there - and it would be with the rare individual.  I just hate to see their rep sullied by this App that didn't need to have so many issues IMO.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CruzinNoony said:

I didn't see the afternoon tea event listed anywhere on day 7 patter.  I'd like to go on our upcoming cruise and need to know where to find it.

I couldn't get anyone to confirm the formal high tea occurred, I think it was called Royal tea when I went. It seems like regular afternoon tea is being held in the MDR, per usual. I will miss having the tea with the towers of food, teapots, and cocktails. 

On 7/26/2021 at 12:01 PM, azbirdmom said:

Posting a question for my hubby.  Are they still putting bars of soap in the staterooms or have they gone to all liquid soap as they had on the Sky?  Just trying to figure out if we should add bars of soap to our packing list.  Thanks in advance!

We always ask for extra of the round hand soap bars and use them in the shower.  We have never been refused which includes the 7/25 Majestic cruise.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 12:00 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you for doing this. I can’t wait to follow along. I was read that there are two pop-up dining venues on the Majestic Princess.  If you have a chance please check out Planks BBQ and Steamers Seafood.  Thanks so much!

Did anyone get to check out the two pop-up restaurants? 

On 7/30/2021 at 7:36 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am solo but I know @CruiseRaiderhas used it for both her and DH. When I see her later I’ll ask if she’s answered yet. 

We did try to order two drinks off the same app and were going to be charged for the second one ...

so, we ordered just one at a time off the app ... no charge but we never got the drink.  Oh well, the feet still work just fine!  

• Haha 1

First time cruisers on Princess sailing Sept 5th.  We have the premium drink package.  Is there a need to pre-order bottled water?  Also, I noticed a footnote that there was a limit of alcoholic beverages, but don't see where it tells what that number is.  (asking for a friend. LOL!).  Thanks for all the info you guys have been providing.  I am one of those nervous travelers, who get anxious when I don't know what I am doing, and you have been great giving insight on many things.  THANK YOU!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nece and PawPaw said:

First time cruisers on Princess sailing Sept 5th.  We have the premium drink package.  Is there a need to pre-order bottled water?  Also, I noticed a footnote that there was a limit of alcoholic beverages, but don't see where it tells what that number is.  (asking for a friend. LOL!).  Thanks for all the info you guys have been providing.  I am one of those nervous travelers, who get anxious when I don't know what I am doing, and you have been great giving insight on many things.  THANK YOU!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

With the drink package, you get bottled water included. There is a 15 drink limit per day, 6am-6am.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I don’t know what the over 40 luncheon is so I can not answer.

It is a luncheon or a cocktail party for the 40 passengers who have the most past days on Princess ships. The Captain and a number of the staff attend.

If it is a luncheon, the top three or four passengers have the Captain at their table. Each other table also has a staff member.

If it is a cocktail party, the Captain and other staff members circulate so that a number of the attendees get to talk with several of them.

• Like 2

I want to add my thanks to those that posted during this voyage.  It was great to see that Jan took time to meet with passengers.  I will be on the first Island P voyage (assuming it happens) and would love to talk to a senior management rep. 

One comment that struck me was her lack of awareness of how bad the issues with the app roll-out was.  I would have assumed this issue would have worked its way up the management ladder to meetings re opening up the return to sailing, especially when she noted Princess is fully aware of CC and its followings.  

5 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

One comment that struck me was her lack of awareness of how bad the issues with the app roll-out was.  I would have assumed this issue would have worked its way up the management ladder to meetings re opening up the return to sailing, especially when she noted Princess is fully aware of CC and its followings.  

That would assume the IT management team is competent. But of course if the IT management team were competent, anyone having problems with the app (or the third to half of the customer base that can't use the app at all) could just use the personalizer website for everything.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

I want to add my thanks to those that posted during this voyage.  It was great to see that Jan took time to meet with passengers.  I will be on the first Island P voyage (assuming it happens) and would love to talk to a senior management rep. 

Programmer 1 to Team Lead 1:  It's going pretty well.  I have a couple of bugs to fix.  And some guest data is the real stickler.  You should talk to the data conversion team.

Programmer 2 to Team Lead 2:  It's a challenge getting the data conversion right with all of the bugs we keep hitting.  You should talk to development team.  

Team Leads to IT Mgr:  Project is proceeding pretty much as expected.  The team is on top of it.  (But we need help from the Data Conversion Team.  But we need help from the Development Team.)  We will solve the issues soon and be able to start on the next set of enhancements.

IT Mgr to CIO:  Everyone is working hard for the success of this project.  We are doing well considering the timeframe.  I think we can be back on track within a couple of weeks.

CIO to PCL Pres:  I think we're in a good place.  We have made good progress on the critical items with a few minor issues.  The teams will be into next enhancements in about a week from now.

PCL Pres to Jan Swartz:  It's all good.  Going to be a marvelous new system.  Nothing other than a couple of guests who have weird data issues.

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Programmer 1 to Team Lead 1:  It's going pretty well.  I have a couple of bugs to fix.  And some guest data is the real stickler.  You should talk to the data conversion team.

Programmer 2 to Team Lead 2:  It's a challenge getting the data conversion right with all of the bugs we keep hitting.  You should talk to development team.  

Team Leads to IT Mgr:  Project is proceeding pretty much as expected.  The team is on top of it.  (But we need help from the Data Conversion Team.  But we need help from the Development Team.)  We will solve the issues soon and be able to start on the next set of enhancements.

IT Mgr to CIO:  Everyone is working hard for the success of this project.  We are doing well considering the timeframe.  I think we can be back on track within a couple of weeks.

CIO to PCL Pres:  I think we're in a good place.  We have made good progress on the critical items with a few minor issues.  The teams will be into next enhancements in about a week from now.

PCL Pres to Jan Swartz:  It's all good.  Going to be a marvelous new system.  Nothing other than a couple of guests who have weird data issues.

LOL! Nailed it!

• Like 1