July 25, 2021 Live From Majestic Princess Alaska sailing

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Good question.  It’s interesting that only the Symphony and Concerto dining rooms are offered for DMW reservations, at least for us anyway.  Does this mean that the Allegro dining room will be used for traditional or club class / suite dining? Or does the reduced capacity mean they won’t even be opening that dining room?   We will have more information for you once we see what is available onboard.  

All dining rooms for dinner should be operational. From what I know for the first two cruises at least they are going to be running at 75% capacity of passengers on board.

8 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Hi @redtop101,  I’d really appreciate if you’d ask this question when we would have the ability to answer it. So once we are on board for a couple of days would be a great time to repost this question. Otherwise you may never get a “real” answer about what’s actually happening onboard. We are all on vacation and won’t want to spend it scrolling back through pages and pages looking for these questions.

My goal in starting this thread is to not speculate about what might happen, but to report on what actually is happening.  I think it’s refreshing and different from many other threads right now. 

I’m sorry. I thought someone might already have an answer. I’ll repost again after a couple of days post departure, if I haven’t seen an answer in the meantime. 

11 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

All dining rooms for dinner should be operational. From what I know for the first two cruises at least they are going to be running at 75% capacity of passengers on board.

My goal in starting this thread is to not speculate about what might happen, but to report on what actually is happening.  I think it’s refreshing and different from many other threads right now. Thanks for understanding 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

My goal in starting this thread is to not speculate about what might happen, but to report on what actually is happening.  I think it’s refreshing and different from many other threads right now. Thanks for understanding 

My apologies. I'm just reporting what crew member friends of mine who are currently working on board the ship told me. 🙈

• Thanks 2

If you read my initial post you will see the list of things this group is going to post about. So as we get to those points in time you will see questions being answered. I actually spent a few hours reading all the threads and posts I could find on CC with questions about the new sailings to create that list. I have gotten so much useful information from this site that I’m glad to be in a position to help others for a change. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

My apologies. I'm just reporting what crew member friends of mine who are currently working on board the ship told me. 🙈

No worries. I hope I didn’t offend anyone. Any chance you can get me the names I need for my CC M&G invites these are the ones I’m missing: (the first 5 especially) it would be a huge help!

Senior Doctor

Food and Beverage Director

Maitre d’Hotel 

Executive Chef

Executive Housekeeping

Environmental Officer

Staff Engineering Officer

Chief Electrical Officer

Future cruise sales agent 

Captain circle host

Customer Relations Manager  

On board services coordinator 

Customer Services Director

3 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

No worries. I hope I didn’t offend anyone. Any chance you can get me the names I need for my CC M&G invites these are the ones I’m missing: (the first 5 especially) it would be a huge help!

Senior Doctor

Maitre d’Hotel 

Executive Chef

Executive Housekeeping

Environmental Officer

Chief Electrical Officer

Captain circle host

Senior Doctor

Maitre d’Hotel 

Executive Chef

Executive Housekeeping - Lorena ( forgot her last name)

Environmental Officer

Chief Electrical Officer

Future cruise sales agent - Heather Hutchinson

Captain circle host - Tais Barros

6 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Senior Doctor

Maitre d’Hotel 

Executive Chef

Executive Housekeeping

Environmental Officer

Chief Electrical Officer

Captain circle host

I'll ask my sources on who the others are. They're going to love me for this homework assignment. 😂🤣🤣

• Like 1

Joining this discussion as I will be boarding on 25th as well - I am excited to say the least !!!   Medallion app has its issues - my daughter got hers by fed ex - mine - who knows - will get when in port - I will not stress !!!  Princess Cruises are working hard to make everyone happy again - please be kind when and if you call.  For those wanting to know about smoking areas or status of DUCK hiding - I will post after I experience.  NONE of us can answer questions about the ship life until we actually get on the ship - I want to cruise and cruising to me is relaxing - I dont stress - will be an trip in which many of us will share with people that are wondering all the what ifs - just let us get on the ship first - lol 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Jeter02 I will be forever in your debt. I made some (I think) pretty nice invites with my Cricut maker and I’m loathe to write Dear Sir or Mesdames. Or what ever you put (google is my friend) if you don’t know names. 

Totally understand. I remember growing up with all the parties my mom used to throw we always had to look up the proper etiquettes for everything. Sounds like they will be getting some very lovely invites if you're using a cricut machine. 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlueFish2000 said:

He there, we have been very unlucky in regards to the medallion - we leave Thursday but still can get nothing to work, after repeated repeated tries, and hours on the phone - we are talking probably a total of 8 hours on hold over 3 different tries. Will once again try before we go and let everyone know. 

My daughter phone it worked - mine NOTHING - said not a valid booking # - what I did - remove medallion app - restart phone - install app - restart phone - - then all info came back in the green lane and good to get on - looking at shows, etc - still freezes - but I got dinner reservations in - BE PATIENT - as much as an issue covid made for us - it made far more for cruise personal and airlines - they are trying - a kind word will get you further 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@phabricyes many of us are getting in the day before and hopefully they will post where they are staying and their impressions of it as will I once there. 

I’m not staying downtown as a Seattle local actually posted a recent local article onto our roll call about the dire homeless situation in that area. If you want read it look up our roll call, if I remember correctly it was fairly early on. 

Princess uses the Doubletree by Hilton Seattle airport and the Weston downtown. When my PVP quoted me the prices (sorry I can’t find that darn email) they were high like in the $280-$300 range. I am staying at the Doubletree and used points to book it. While I have paid for Princess transfers both ways in theory I am supposed to go back to the airport for my transfer since I did not book the room through Princess. The hotel has a shuttle they told me is actually running. However, my PVP said if they had room on the hotel shuttle they might let me take that one. I will have to ask the morning of. 

That said I’m pretty sure I will not be able to wait. I’ll probably grab an early Uber and just sit on my large suitcase staring at the ship until they let me board. I’m more than a little happy to feel the motion of the ocean under me again. 

I am staying at Airport Marriot (1 night before and 1 after) - using their shuttle to and from airport - I booked a car thru seaview airport service from hotel to port and port to hotel - hoping all goes smooth - but if a oh crap moment happens - I can get another transport.  Our 1st Alaska cruise was on Holland and we stayed at hotel in city - with all the unrest I saw on media - I decided to sleep peaceful by airport 

• Like 3

I will definitely be following along as I board August 1. There are only a few events on our schedule so far. I will likely do a live as well for the August 1 cruise, it will be interesting to see how things play out in practice as the cruises continue through the summer. My medallion app said I was too late and to get my medallion at the pier. I am all checked in and have an 11:30 boarding group for august 1. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, redtop101 said:

Do you know if passengers who have Traditional Dining reservations will have their preferences honored or do they go out the window now with “Dine My Way”

Yes, but as you probably know, there is no facility in DMW as of now to select desired table size.  This is an important aspect of dining.  However, on the early first voyages, they seem to be separating by table each cabin (or travel party).  As time goes on (probably past CSO expiry, they will allow more mixing.  But DMW has to be updated to offer table size.

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Good question.  It’s interesting that only the Symphony and Concerto dining rooms are offered for DMW reservations, at least for us anyway.  Does this mean that the Allegro dining room will be used for traditional or club class / suite dining? Or does the reduced capacity mean they won’t even be opening that dining room?   We will have more information for you once we see what is available onboard.  

AFAIK, many many voyages do not have the full inventory of DR space made available in DMW.  Reports I have read - and my own experience - indicates it is usually the aft DR missing.  If a voyage was going with 50% capacity, say, they wouldn't need that DR, except for more distancing.  I suspect they have left themselves some leeway to provide dining options or for MD's to do their magic.  DMW is in its infancy and not fully functional.  Hopefully, soon they will expand the capabilities for 2022 voyages.  

With apologies to @HaveDogWillTravel as I just wanted to clarify some things about DMW. 

I am keenly interested to read what you guys will find out and if anyone gets any feedback from the MD or a HW or two.  I have no doubt the poor MD is going to be flooded with requests on Day 1.  GL to all and hope you get it all sorted out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jisduit said:

I am staying at Airport Marriot (1 night before and 1 after) - using their shuttle to and from airport - I booked a car thru seaview airport service from hotel to port and port to hotel - hoping all goes smooth - but if a oh crap moment happens - I can get another transport.  Our 1st Alaska cruise was on Holland and we stayed at hotel in city - with all the unrest I saw on media - I decided to sleep peaceful by airport 

I used to stay there a lot.  Be aware, though, that unless they've changed it, they charge for their airport shuttle.  It was 4.00 each way per person.  If you want to shlep luggage up and and down stairs, and like to walk, it's across the street from the airport.  When we'd stay there after returning a rental car (typically early flight out next morning) I'd take the car to the hotel, drop my luggage, back to the airport to drop the car, and then walk to the hotel.  It's a bit of a hike in the airport, since it's  at the air train station.

@Steelers36I had to laugh a bit at the preemptive apologies to me as I really have been a dog with a bone about no, no, and pretty please no speculative comments.  I’m a recently retired professor and it’s hard to not go into that mode. I really worked hard to set up this thread vastly differently from all the other threads I’ve ever read on CC. So when I read “they seem to be”, “as time goes on probably..”,  “AFAIK”, “reports I’ve read”, “if”, ‘I suspect”, “Hopefully, soon” I am forced to go into total teacher persona. Pleeeease take this as the funny comment I mean it to be…… you get an F on that post. Mostly because your last statement was that you “just wanted to clarify some things about DMW”. I have to say maybe it’s the glass of wine, maybe it’s you, maybe it’s the stress but I sure did get a good laugh. 

I wasn’t going to say this but the Allegro (sp) dining room is open for reservations. I was able to mock book one this afternoon. 
really hope I did not offend you. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pkt1976 said:

I will definitely be following along as I board August 1. There are only a few events on our schedule so far. I will likely do a live as well for the August 1 cruise, it will be interesting to see how things play out in practice as the cruises continue through the summer. My medallion app said I was too late and to get my medallion at the pier. I am all checked in and have an 11:30 boarding group for august 1. 

I am still so surprised that the second sailing has less on journeyview than we did 2 weeks out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am still so surprised that the second sailing has less on journeyview than we did 2 weeks out.

The only thing we have is the virtual shooting range at this point. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I wasn’t going to say this but the Allegro (sp) dining room is open for reservations. I was able to mock book one this afternoon. 
really hope I did not offend you.

Interesting, because @Cruise Raider, who is on your voyage, posted not seeing anything in Allegro.  And I have read similar from other CC posters and I have not seen the aft DR showing up either for our voyages.  I don't think it is consistent, but just based on tables gone relative to date and sales, seems hard to believe some voyages could have totally filled the DR so it isn't even listed.

No offense at all.  And I realize I took liberties with your thread. 

Now, I am chuckling here also, as you launched this thread WAAAY early for your departure date and knowing what happens here on CC threads, I am not surprised.  Maybe you should call this one the pre-cruise thread and start a fresh one on the 25th.  You will get the more relevance then I think. 

All the best and I will try my best to say nothing here until at least July 25.  All the best.

ETA:  I think we all should realize too that some things that will happen and are true to your voyage won't necessarily be the situation going forward as these are the first ones heading out and also under the CDC CSO.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 5

On 7/18/2021 at 9:41 AM, phabric said:

I will be following along.

Anybody staying in Seattle before the cruise?  

Any recommendations for a hotel near Pikes Market?

We are booked at the Hyatt at Olive 8 and will let you know how it is once we arrive on Saturday.  It is a few blocks from Pikes Market.

On 7/18/2021 at 5:23 PM, redtop101 said:

Thank you so much for creating this "Live from Majestic Princess" thread and to all the other contributors as you cruise along.

So many questions as we follow along. Does the OM medallion work without bugs? Do you really have to make reservations for many, if not all, events - which kinda takes some of the fun out of spontaneity.

Looking forward to many answers to questions that are all still unknown right now

The medallion app is certainly not without issues but they are working diligently to try and fix all issues.  That said, we are 5 days out and my husband cannot access it at all.  No worries though, we will get on the ship eventually.  And yes, you must make a resort for all activities as of now.  Spontaneity may return at some point but it seems to have disappeared for right now.  Just keep checking the app daily in journeyview to we what events are available for your cruise.  Ours showed up about 2-3 weeks out.  Make sure you a running the most recent updated app and don’t be surprised if you have to delete and reinstall a few times.

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Interesting, because @Cruise Raider, who is on your voyage, posted not seeing anything in Allegro.  And I have read similar from other CC posters and I have not seen the aft DR showing up either for our voyages.  I don't think it is consistent, but just based on tables gone relative to date and sales, seems hard to believe some voyages could have totally filled the DR so it isn't even listed.

I’m sailing on the August 29th cruise and I’m able to book Allegro, Symphony or Concerto through DMW. We had all 3 dining rooms options for our November 2021 sailings on the Sky. Based on my experience I believe they are using all 3 dining rooms.

22 hours ago, ChangeOrder said:

La La Land, Avatar, Tenet, The Martian, Ford v Ferrari, Devil Wears Prada, Big, Ad Astra, Bohemian Rhapsody, Black Panther, Moulin Rouge, Emma. I think that’s the full list. 

Thank you so much for the list.  Since I don't have a newer iPad, I couldn't download the Medallion app. So our Medallion app is on my iPhone and scrolling is pretty difficult.  MUTS is my favorite part of the cruise.  I've seen better movie choices, but I'll be glad to watch Rhapsody for the hundredth time.  The last time I saw it on MUTS, we were sailing from Funchal to Casablanca.

8 hours ago, CruzinNoony said:

Am I to understand that we will be charged a fee for them to send us the medallion in the mail?

I ordered our Medallion on June 24 and received it on July 16. I did not order anything fancy, just the Medallion and lanyard for no charge.  I may change that for a future cruise but for now I'll just wear mine around my neck like I always did with the card.

• Like 1