July 25, 2021 Live From Majestic Princess Alaska sailing

We did not have pop ups.

Masks were a personal choice. 

the vast majority of passengers were able to get fully ocean ready so while there are still issues it really doesn't effect that many.

yes there were the round bars of soap 

yes there was fettuccine every night and still delicious. Hamburgers every sea day luncheon. I had a burger for room service and it was delicious. 

@Steelers36that pretty much describes it. Lol. DH has been in IT for over 20 years so this dog and pony show is very familiar to me. Don’t let perfection stop progress. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Programmer 1 to Team Lead 1:  It's going pretty well.  I have a couple of bugs to fix.  And some guest data is the real stickler.  You should talk to the data conversion team.

Programmer 2 to Team Lead 2:  It's a challenge getting the data conversion right with all of the bugs we keep hitting.  You should talk to development team.  

Team Leads to IT Mgr:  Project is proceeding pretty much as expected.  The team is on top of it.  (But we need help from the Data Conversion Team.  But we need help from the Development Team.)  We will solve the issues soon and be able to start on the next set of enhancements.

IT Mgr to CIO:  Everyone is working hard for the success of this project.  We are doing well considering the timeframe.  I think we can be back on track within a couple of weeks.

CIO to PCL Pres:  I think we're in a good place.  We have made good progress on the critical items with a few minor issues.  The teams will be into next enhancements in about a week from now.

PCL Pres to Jan Swartz:  It's all good.  Going to be a marvelous new system.  Nothing other than a couple of guests who have weird data issues.

Lol

It might be fun to make Princess IT dept scapegoats for the problems with MedallionClass app but IT doesn't work in a vacuum. Princess management should have been aware of the problems for the system that has been in development for over 2 years. 

I would be shocked that Jan Swartz is not aware of the problems with the system. She was President of Princess. Prior to that she was VP of Customer Service. Before she was hired by Princess she worked with a consulting firm to make enhancements to the Princess call center. So Jan Swartz is very familiar with customer service. 

I found it interesting that in a post someone asked Ms Swartz about the Veteran benefits being retained and the response was something to the effect that Princess (or she) would work hard to retain the benefits.  Why would that even come up as a question if Princess had not just reduced benefits for platinum/elite members?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waynetor said:

One comment that struck me was her lack of awareness of how bad the issues with the app roll-out was.  I would have assumed this issue would have worked its way up the management ladder to meetings re opening up the return to sailing, especially when she noted Princess is fully aware of CC and its followings.  

I would assume that she does not herself read CC posts.

So she would only know the extent of the app problems if those who do read the posts pass the information up to her and not shield her from knowing what is really going on.

11 minutes ago, caribill said:

I would assume that she does not herself read CC posts.

So she would only know the extent of the app problems if those who do read the posts pass the information up to her and not shield her from knowing what is really going on.

She  wouldn't have to read CC posts to know about problems.  Princess customer service reps are fielding calls all day to support guests questions and problems. The customer service department would be well aware of the problems and issues. 

11 minutes ago, rawtravel said:

She  wouldn't have to read CC posts to know about problems.  Princess customer service reps are fielding calls all day to support guests questions and problems. The customer service department would be well aware of the problems and issues. 

And that info would have to be passed up the management ladder and that does not appear to be happening.

1 hour ago, rawtravel said:

Did Jan manage and use App herself on last week’s cruise?

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

We did not have pop ups.

Masks were a personal choice. 

the vast majority of passengers were able to get fully ocean ready so while there are still issues it really doesn't effect that many.

yes there were the round bars of soap 

yes there was fettuccine every night and still delicious. Hamburgers every sea day luncheon. I had a burger for room service and it was delicious. 

@Steelers36that pretty much describes it. Lol. DH has been in IT for over 20 years so this dog and pony show is very familiar to me. Don’t let perfection stop progress. 

Thank you for your response.

Okay... I admit I have picked on the Princess IT Team. Of course this is not the first issue I have had with the team. There have been multiple times where I felt the IT Team was lacking.

Flash forward to the issues with this app... I have to say that I don't believe the entire issue is with the IT Team. It's my belief that the Marketing Group kind of hamstrung the IT folks. The Marketing folks promised the sun, the moon, the stars, the universe, the infinite... and then left the IT folks to implement their promises.  Oh, wait... That's what the Marketing People always do. They kind of "make up" what they think would happen in their "perfect marketing world" and promise that stuff and then expect the IT people to "make it happen" even though the Marketing people have zero real world experience and live in some sort of fantasy world.

Yes, I have been critical of the IT folks but I am even more critical of the Marketing folks who hung the IT folks out to dry. In my experience (granted it is not the greatest experience out there but it is my real world experience) the Marketing people are the biggest problem.

• Like 3

I just asked this also on the August sailing, but I thought I would ask any of you that were on the 1st. sailing.

On the morning of embarkation,  did anyone give the porters besides their luggage any sodas, or water to bring up to theircabins with their luggage???  Like maybe in boxes or all taped up with luggage tags on them.   Or are they really enforcing the rule that we must walk on with our own soda????  I know about the limit. Only a 12 pack each .  
Is this also being enforced.?? And I expect it to , of course go thru the security scanner 

Thanks so much for answering all our silly questions.  What a huge undertaking this was for all who helped , especially the OP. I read all, except the most recent posts. It has really been appreciated & we all learned an enormous amount from those nice sailors, who gave up their time to help us all & in such a positive way. What a blessing you all have been.

Grace

On 8/1/2021 at 12:50 AM, scuguy77 said:

Hello! Great to see all these Live from posts again 🙂 

I too also had a question about disembarkation, was their the usual customs/immigration (show passport etc) or no since these Alaska cruises do not visit Canada or stop in foreign port? 

Thank you!

i haven’t read trough all the comments on this thread so maybe someone has already answered this but, there was no customs form to fill out.  Disembarkation only ran about 20 minutes behind when our group was called.  Our disembarkation time was 7:25 AM and we were called around 7:45 AM.  It was so quick and easy!  I’m thinking the only passengers required to go through the actual customs review were those that bought expensive items on the ship.  We simply were asked to show our passports and boom, we were out of there.  There was absolutely no line up involved.  

• Like 1

Question...in the past we had TD and at the end of the cruise we gave our waiters an extra tip...if we are now at a different table each night with the new DMW how does one tip the waiters in the MDR?  We do have the same time picked for each night but I thought I read that some got different tables and wait staff each night even if they went to the same dining room at the same time...

Just now adding to this post before it gets away from me … 

Disembarkation was so quick and easy with just a slight delay in our group being called as described in the post above.  One we disembarked and were out the door of the terminal, there was a man helping disembarking passengers find the right spot to go to depending on their travel plans.  We were directed to station R (I think it was R), which was clearly marked.  We had chosen the Seattle Express shuttle and after a 5 minute wait inside the van, we were off to a private ride to the airport.  I highly recommend this shuttle service when going from the pier to the airport.  They do not pick up at the airport (or from SeaTac area hotels) or I would have used them for that as well.  They don’t request you schedule a pick up time, they are just there every 15 minutes starting at 7:00 AM.  
We left right around 8:00 AM and saw there was a huge line for security.  While we don’t do this very often, we were glad we splurged on first class air.  The security line for those with priority was at #5 and we zipped right on through.  I was rather worried about booking a flight before noon but, because of the transportation and priority security line, we would have had no problem making a 9:45 flight.  Without those options, we would have probably just made our 11:45 flight.  Those security lines were really long!  
although, SeaTac does offer a SpotSaver service where non-TSA precheck passengers are able to reserve a spot in line.  Thankfully, all went well and we didn’t need to use that.  
So, we were near our gate in the North satellite terminal at the airport with a couple of hours to spare before boarding so we’re told that Alaska Airlines has a lounge we could use.  Wow!  Was that ever fantastic … felt as though we were still on the cruise the way we were spoiled in there.  Another friend from the cruise met us there and she stated that it was the nicest of the three lounges Alaska has.  The food and drinks are complimentary and there is even plenty of comfy spots to take a nap if you so desire.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Question...in the past we had TD and at the end of the cruise we gave our waiters an extra tip...if we are now at a different table each night with the new DMW how does one tip the waiters in the MDR?  We do have the same time picked for each night but I thought I read that some got different tables and wait staff each night even if they went to the same dining room at the same time...

After the second night, we requested the same waiter for each and every meal we had in the MDR.  I’m not sure how that would work out in reality once the ship is at full capacity but, we always had his table waiting for us when we arrived.  Our reservations were for 6:20 every night so, that made it rather easy as the 5:00 PM dinner crowd was just finishing up their meal.  We never had to wait but a minute or two for them to clear one of his tables.  That timing was also perfect to catch the 8:15 PM entertainment in  Princess Live and then, off to the 9:15 PM show in the Princess theater.  
BTW, they have no envelopes at the guest services desk for additional tips so, be sure to bring your own.  I know the waiters don’t want to touch money while handling the food.  Thankfully, we had a couple of extra envelopes along with us.  

21 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

The easiest way, if you feel that the service warrants it, is to tip every night. 

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The easiest way, if you feel that the service warrants it, is to tip every night. 

This is true but seeing as we are on a cruise we don't typically carry cash around regularly on the ship and would be one more thing to remember to grab from the safe before heading to dinner which I am not in the safe every night...

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

After the second night, we requested the same waiter for each and every meal we had in the MDR.  I’m not sure how that would work out in reality once the ship is at full capacity but, we always had his table waiting for us when we arrived.  Our reservations were for 6:20 every night so, that made it rather easy as the 5:00 PM dinner crowd was just finishing up their meal.  We never had to wait but a minute or two for them to clear one of his tables.  That timing was also perfect to catch the 8:15 PM entertainment in  Princess Live and then, off to the 9:15 PM show in the Princess theater.  
BTW, they have no envelopes at the guest services desk for additional tips so, be sure to bring your own.  I know the waiters don’t want to touch money while handling the food.  Thankfully, we had a couple of extra envelopes along with us.  

Thanks we may do this.  We typically like to eat at the earliest time 5 ish..

We always bring envelopes with us as I am a super planner and I usually have envelopes pre labeled with Steward, waiter, asst waiter and then add their names once I meet them and then toss in a couple extras for other staff.  One time we tipped a photographer.  It seemed we saw her everywhere all the time and she would recognize us and wave us over to her on the port pics and when she did the casual and formal photos on the ship she always tried some new ideas out on us and they came out great, she was very lovely.  We also filled out the card for her to say how wonderful she was as I know those cards are GOLDEN to them when it is report to corporate they did a great job.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just now adding to this post before it gets away from me … 

Disembarkation was so quick and easy with just a slight delay in our group being called as described in the post above.  One we disembarked and were out the door of the terminal, there was a man helping disembarking passengers find the right spot to go to depending on their travel plans.  We were directed to station R (I think it was R), which was clearly marked.  We had chosen the Seattle Express shuttle and after a 5 minute wait inside the van, we were off to a private ride to the airport.  I highly recommend this shuttle service when going from the pier to the airport.  They do not pick up at the airport (or from SeaTac area hotels) or I would have used them for that as well.  They don’t request you schedule a pick up time, they are just there every 15 minutes starting at 7:00 AM.  
We left right around 8:00 AM and saw there was a huge line for security.  While we don’t do this very often, we were glad we splurged on first class air.  The security line for those with priority was at #5 and we zipped right on through.  I was rather worried about booking a flight before noon but, because of the transportation and priority security line, we would have had no problem making a 9:45 flight.  Without those options, we would have probably just made our 11:45 flight.  Those security lines were really long!  
although, SeaTac does offer a SpotSaver service where non-TSA precheck passengers are able to reserve a spot in line.  Thankfully, all went well and we didn’t need to use that.  
So, we were near our gate in the North satellite terminal at the airport with a couple of hours to spare before boarding so we’re told that Alaska Airlines has a lounge we could use.  Wow!  Was that ever fantastic … felt as though we were still on the cruise the way we were spoiled in there.  Another friend from the cruise met us there and she stated that it was the nicest of the three lounges Alaska has.  The food and drinks are complimentary and there is even plenty of comfy spots to take a nap if you so desire.  

Glad you had smooth sailing (pun intended). Thank you for your information during the cruise.

One correction about Seattle Express: they DO pick up at SeaTac hotels. We're staying at the Crowne Plaza Airport this Saturday night and have a reservation on Seattle Express for Sunday morning at 10:15am. We made reservations on their website here

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Okay... I admit I have picked on the Princess IT Team. Of course this is not the first issue I have had with the team. There have been multiple times where I felt the IT Team was lacking.

Flash forward to the issues with this app... I have to say that I don't believe the entire issue is with the IT Team. It's my belief that the Marketing Group kind of hamstrung the IT folks. The Marketing folks promised the sun, the moon, the stars, the universe, the infinite... and then left the IT folks to implement their promises.  Oh, wait... That's what the Marketing People always do. They kind of "make up" what they think would happen in their "perfect marketing world" and promise that stuff and then expect the IT people to "make it happen" even though the Marketing people have zero real world experience and live in some sort of fantasy world.

Yes, I have been critical of the IT folks but I am even more critical of the Marketing folks who hung the IT folks out to dry. In my experience (granted it is not the greatest experience out there but it is my real world experience) the Marketing people are the biggest problem.

And don't forget the beancounters, who I'm sure told the IT Team that they couldn't spend any money updating the personalizer website since the app was going to do everything. Of course, that's what beancounters always say, tho you would have thought the IT Team would have known what percentage of cruisers don't have smartphones (my guess is somewhere between a third and half; the IT team should have known the exact number or done a survey to find out) and explained that to the beancounters and top management.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2021 at 3:25 PM, MustangGT said:

Love the shrimp avocado appetizer!  I’m afraid the salmon entree is no longer available and that makes me 😢 

The avocado was little dabs of avocado puree.  Fresh avocado slices would have been much! better.

19 hours ago, Nece and PawPaw said:

First time cruisers on Princess sailing Sept 5th.  We have the premium drink package.  Is there a need to pre-order bottled water?  Also, I noticed a footnote that there was a limit of alcoholic beverages, but don't see where it tells what that number is.  (asking for a friend. LOL!).  Thanks for all the info you guys have been providing.  I am one of those nervous travelers, who get anxious when I don't know what I am doing, and you have been great giving insight on many things.  THANK YOU!

We are also on the Sept. 5th sailing.  Are you on the roll call?  Looking forward to meeting you!  Meredith

On 7/26/2021 at 4:53 PM, Sushilover808 said:

Aloha all, we are on the August 22nd sailing of the Majestic Princess. I read back to page 15 of this thread. Thank you so very much for posting such great details about your cruise, especially the pictures of the main dining room menus. Could someone please visit the Vines wine bar and take a picture of the tapas menu? Much Mahalo, John and Roseanne

No tapas at Vines.  They will go over to international cafe to get a a small plate of cheese for you and maybe the fresh veggie cup with dip.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:50 AM, CruiserRob said:

BED4B6C8-F585-4E4A-8D31-896953F97CDF.jpeg

We ate at Bistro Sur La Mer because it was our 47th wedding anniversary.  I was very disappointed to hear that I missed the crab legs.  We compensated and bought 2 beers and 2 king crab legs at  Ketchikan Crab and Grille for $90.  It was worth it!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 007colocruz said:

Did Jan manage and use App herself on last week’s cruise?

Yes and she acknowledged that there was more growth needed. Those of us on that first sailing certainly experienced difficulties and we shared those with her. I wrote about her detailed response to that on our live from. Look at posts by me after our Friday evening meeting…. Was that July 30? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1