Relaxing Masking for vaccinated guests?

24 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

He said 70% “vaccinated” for herd immunity. The other part of that is people who’ve achieved immunity through infection (probably another 20%, give ir take). 

Approx. 34 million Americans have had Covid. This is around 10% of the population. If we also assume that a certain percentage of these have/will also get the vaccine, then the "non-vaccinated" that contribute to herd immunity is closer to 5%-8% of the total population.

Which means we either need to hit closer to 85%-90% vaccination rates to get a 95% "herd immunity" target, or the virus will keep mutating and infect more and more people until the "non-vaccinated" that contribute to herd immunity is closer to 100-130 million people. Either of those scenarios seems a long way away.

Edited by jrapps

On 7/18/2021 at 10:22 AM, Thenagers said:

I have heard that RCL is expecting these rules to be updated soon? I was thinking  it was tied to the lawsuit in Florida but maybe CDC didn’t want to do it until a verdict from the appeals court? I know I am being overly hopeful but fingers crossed for my July 26th sailing? I’ll deal

if I have too! I just would rather have a more normal experience but locked into these dates and such!

Just be happy you are getting one in!  I think they are going to have to hit the pause button again in the next 35-40 days... 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, spooky981 said:

Among the cruises that have gone out there have only been a handful of positive tests with zero fatalities or hospitalizations. If you multiply that by all the cruise ships in the world I still don't think it's close to enough to justify shutting down the industry again.

Yes I understand completely and agree with you.  Unvaccinated folks are going to drive the spread in the coming months… and even if we are vaccinated we can still get it.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Yes I understand completely and agree with you.  Unvaccinated folks are going to drive the spread in the coming months… and even if we are vaccinated we can still get it.  

The stock market dipped today on fears of the rising unvaccinated spread hurting the economic recovery. This is not over yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

Just be happy you are getting one in!  I think they are going to have to hit the pause button again in the next 35-40 days... 

I have no idea why you would think that…

10 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Got it.  Sorry still in post-cruise fog.  You are correct, as soon as guests boarded the Carnival Horizon, the masks came off.  As a guest, I was not required to wear one anywhere on the ship.  On the ship, there was no way to tell who was vaccinated and who wasn't - except those who clearly looked under 12.  

Carnival is sticking to the 95% rule for US sailings and seems like that is working great for them.  

Happy to hear you had a great maskless cruise!

Shame Royal wont do that!

On 7/19/2021 at 9:42 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Carnival is sticking to the 95% rule for US sailings and seems like that is working great for them.  

Happy to hear you had a great maskless cruise!

Shame Royal wont do that!

Double and triple shame!

• Like 1