Timing to see Stockholm's Archipelago?

We will be ending our cruise in Stockholm on June 26.  Sunrise is at 3:33 so light is not an issue thanks to the Midnight Sun.  I have heard many times how lovely the sail in through the archipelago leading into Stockholm's harbor is.  We will be in port at 5:45 that morning.  It looks like Royal Caribbean uses the docks at Frihamnen if that makes any difference.  I am willing to get up (stay up?) long enough to see it but wondering what time I should be on deck so as not to miss it.  Thanks in advance if anyone remembers about how long the sail in through the islands is.  I will ask the crew onboard but I'm a planner and like to have some clue in advance.

An early morning indeed, but don’t miss the sailing through the archipelago- very beautiful. You must be on the upper deck just before sunrise. Will be a beautiful morning.

Edited by hallasm

And technically on the latitudes where Stockholm lies, there won't be midnight sun since for that phenomenon you must be north of the Arctic circle. But  despite that the summer nights in these latitudes still offer barely any darkness between dusk and dawn.

1 hour ago, Hezu said:

But  despite that the summer nights in these latitudes still offer barely any darkness between dusk and dawn

Correct - but still sunrise at 3:33 am.

59 minutes ago, John Bull said:

A lot easier for lazy folk like us is to raid the buffet for a picnic dinner out on deck for the sail-out.

Yes, very beautiful in the sunset but does require a cruise start in Stockholm - probably not the case for this cruise - ending in Stockholm. 

Edited by hallasm

8 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Does require a cruise start in Stockholm - probably not the case for this cruise - ending in Stockholm. 

I was thinking more of Stockholm as a port-of-call.🙂

That's because I don't read questions carefully enough 🙄🙃

Now where's the delete button.🤪

JB 🙂

8 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Excellent suggestion for port-of-call

Strange you should mention that.........................

'cos I was thinkin' it'd be lot easier for lazy folk like us to raid the buffet for a picnic dinner out on deck for the sail-out

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1

We visited Stockholm as a port of call and were advised to get up about 4:30AM for the sail in.  This was great advice.  It was simply magical.  We also liked the sail out but we found it not as spectacular as the morning one. 

On 7/18/2021 at 11:44 PM, Travelling2Some said:

We will be ending our cruise in Stockholm on June 26.  Sunrise is at 3:33 so light is not an issue thanks to the Midnight Sun.  I have heard many times how lovely the sail in through the archipelago leading into Stockholm's harbor is.  We will be in port at 5:45 that morning.  It looks like Royal Caribbean uses the docks at Frihamnen if that makes any difference.  I am willing to get up (stay up?) long enough to see it but wondering what time I should be on deck so as not to miss it.  Thanks in advance if anyone remembers about how long the sail in through the islands is.  I will ask the crew onboard but I'm a planner and like to have some clue in advance.

You will pick up the pilot at the entry of the archipelago at Söderarm/Tjärven lighthouses and from there it is about 5-6 hour journey through the archipelago (Follow the blue lines from Söderarm/Tjärven). The first really close passage is Furusund.

This likely means that you will pick up the pilot/enter the archipelago around midnight.

One you are a week or closer to your arrival at Stockholm you can use this website to see when the pilot is scheduled to be picked up. https://app.sjofartsverket.se/pilotinfo.

Where it says "Lotsområde" choose "Stockholm/Svartklubben LS", adjust your date preferences and click "sök".

• 5 weeks later...

Great info! Have some questions re: Voyager of the Seas docking Stockholm 9-5 on May 17th. Booked a port side balcony so plan to be outside by 6AM

(weather allowing)  heading to top deck 6:30, will I miss too much?

19 minutes ago, skings said:

Great info! Have some questions re: Voyager of the Seas docking Stockholm 9-5 on May 17th. Booked a port side balcony so plan to be outside by 6AM

(weather allowing)  heading to top deck 6:30, will I miss too much?

i think that’s a great plan.  You’ll witness a couple hours of the sail in.  Leaving at 5pm, at that time of year, you probably will see the entire cruise back out.  Try to get dinner near a window and enjoy the view.