Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 30

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, July 19 and Sunday, July 25.

Just. Take. More. Pictures.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

I have been chasing this photo since May when I went to a spot where I knew I could get an unobstructed view of the lunar eclipse. It’s a wide-open field with a water tower at the far end. I hoped to get photos of the setting moon and the water tower in the same frame. 

That attempt was spoiled when fog set in as the moon was the perfect position for my shot. The next month was a no—go because of cloud cover. 

On July 23rd, I checked the sky condition before I left the house and there were no clouds (but I didn’t have a clear view of the western sky from my home). As I rolled into the parking lot next to the field, my hopes for a great morning shoot came to an abrupt halt — low clouds to the west covered the moon with only a faint glow in it’s general vicinity.

I almost turned around and went home but hoped there would be a break in the clouds when the moon neared the horizon. I trudged across the field, got in position, and lo and behold, at the prefect moment, the moon ducked below the clouds for me.

1.thumb.jpg.3d175e4467fb866089dea2cad1297c0c.jpg

• Like 5

I still haven't gotten around to even sorting or processing any other shots from Sunday, July 25, except for this handful I wanted to process because it was something new for me.  It's not often nowadays I get new species of birds to photograph, as I've been doing it a while now, so there aren't as many birds left I haven't shot except the rarities or non-natives that pop up sometimes.

But there are a few birds that aren't necessarily 'rare' in any way, and are native to our area, but have just been elusive.  Owls in particular are often difficult because they're nocturnal, and we are heavily forested here in S. Florida so there are lots of places for them to hide unseen.  I had managed to photograph great horned owls, eastern screech owls, burrowing owls, and last year my first barn owl.  Now I can add one more to my list, having come across and photographed my first Barred Owl:

021BD3C2F9274A3E865AEB8A9EC39374.jpg

78DEE1EF9E7E4A6FAF17E0A608B9F035.jpg

37D9EB6BD9B846C59201F67B16329F81.jpg

8B68973AA8DB43708B39E818C0080432.jpg

40121F1A4B7744248F678E084A7AF9DB.jpg

• Like 6

Most of the week was spent working and when the work day was done, more work was done finishing up our somewhat expansive deck project . Not a lot of time left for photography. Luckily for the Picture-A-Week project, a closed road and a detour while we were out on errands took us through the shrinking agricultural district where I stopped to take this shot of a few of the local dairy workers enjoying a late breakfast. Property values and increasing complaints about the smell from people who knew they were moving in downwind from cows has prompted many of the dairies to move farther east and north, much like when the same issues brought them here from LA county in the ‘50s and ’60s. First the vineyards. Then the orchards. Now the dairies. What price progress?

How Now?

1394992827_2021-30HowNow.thumb.jpg.473257a578470258aeb1eec46119a442.jpg

Dave

• Like 2