Go Pro Suggestions please

I have a GoPro 7 White and I have to say it has been a nightmare since day one. I bought it on a whim during a "Black Friday" even though I was not even considering one at the time. 

I've had multiple problems with it not coming on, not connecting to my computer, battery dying in a short period of time and battery dying if you charge it and don't use it right away.

I would really like to get another one...one that I can make video's while on my vacations. We do scuba dive (Discover Scuba down to 40') so I imagine there wouldn't be a problem with any of them because they are waterproof down that deep right?

I remember years ago people saying that some GoPro's are better than others because they had removable batteries or something like that? I think the discussion was because you would be able to have back up batteries when out. 

Give me your thoughts and suggestions please. I would appreciate it. I'm just so over the one that I have. 

On 7/19/2021 at 6:57 PM, mitsugirly said:

I have a GoPro 7 White and I have to say it has been a nightmare since day one. I bought it on a whim during a "Black Friday" even though I was not even considering one at the time. 

I've had multiple problems with it not coming on, not connecting to my computer, battery dying in a short period of time and battery dying if you charge it and don't use it right away.

I would really like to get another one...one that I can make video's while on my vacations. We do scuba dive (Discover Scuba down to 40') so I imagine there wouldn't be a problem with any of them because they are waterproof down that deep right?

I remember years ago people saying that some GoPro's are better than others because they had removable batteries or something like that? I think the discussion was because you would be able to have back up batteries when out. 

Give me your thoughts and suggestions please. I would appreciate it. I'm just so over the one that I have. 

I don't have any experience with the GoPro Whites, but I have a 7 Black and 5 Black and have no problems. Both have interchangeable batteries and each battery lasts 50-60 minutes run time. I have a multicharger and 3 extra batteries, so we always have fresh batteries.

Without any special casing, the GoPros are waterproof to 33'. They do sell housing that can get you down to 131'. 

One of our favorite uses is get a suction mount for the camera and film a timelapse/hyperlapse of driving or sailaway. Always a cool thing to do.

The newer models have more addons that make better for vlogging and talking into the camera, but if you are just looking to film what is going on around you, the older ones will do just fine and since you aren't getting the latest & greatest they are usually $100+ less to buy them.

24 minutes ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I don't have any experience with the GoPro Whites, but I have a 7 Black and 5 Black and have no problems. Both have interchangeable batteries and each battery lasts 50-60 minutes run time. I have a multicharger and 3 extra batteries, so we always have fresh batteries.

Without any special casing, the GoPros are waterproof to 33'. They do sell housing that can get you down to 131'. 

One of our favorite uses is get a suction mount for the camera and film a timelapse/hyperlapse of driving or sailaway. Always a cool thing to do.

The newer models have more addons that make better for vlogging and talking into the camera, but if you are just looking to film what is going on around you, the older ones will do just fine and since you aren't getting the latest & greatest they are usually $100+ less to buy them.

Do you ever have any problems with putting a battery in it and if you don't use it for a couple of days the battery will be dead when you go to use it? That's what's happening to mine all the time and it's annoying. Sometimes I forget to charge it right before I go to use it (charged it days before) and then it's useless to me when I go out. 

I bought a waterproof case and the filters and hoping to be able to use it with any new GoPro that I buy because I haven't even got to use them yet. Do you know if they are all interchangeable and the same size?

12 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Do you ever have any problems with putting a battery in it and if you don't use it for a couple of days the battery will be dead when you go to use it? That's what's happening to mine all the time and it's annoying. Sometimes I forget to charge it right before I go to use it (charged it days before) and then it's useless to me when I go out. 

I bought a waterproof case and the filters and hoping to be able to use it with any new GoPro that I buy because I haven't even got to use them yet. Do you know if they are all interchangeable and the same size?

I just checked. I haven't charged the extra batteries in at least a month and they were all about 50% charged when I plugged them in. So they should lose very little charge after a couple of days, but I also make sure not to leave them always charging.

I know that cases and filters are interchangeable between my Gopro Black 5 and Black 7. I want to say they changed the battery and case dimensions on the 8 and 9, but not 100% sure. So check for compatibility before getting the newer ones. The mounts for all of them are always 100% compatible. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I just checked. I haven't charged the extra batteries in at least a month and they were all about 50% charged when I plugged them in. So they should lose very little charge after a couple of days, but I also make sure not to leave them always charging.

I know that cases and filters are interchangeable between my Gopro Black 5 and Black 7. I want to say they changed the battery and case dimensions on the 8 and 9, but not 100% sure. So check for compatibility before getting the newer ones. The mounts for all of them are always 100% compatible. 

Thank you so much for checking! I really appreciate that.

• Like 1