US Passport speed for minors -> set a record!

We plan to send our renewal in next week.  I filled out the paper work and printed it, but we've been lazy on getting the pictures done.  Ours expired last week. Since I just booked a cruise for mid January, hopefully that will give enough time.  Fortunately, it's closed loop out of Galveston so we can fish out our birth certificates from the safe deposit box, worst case scenario.  That won't work for Europe in September 2022, certainly it won't take that long!  (knocked on wood after that jinx!)

4 hours ago, reney313 said:

We plan to send our renewal in next week.  I filled out the paper work and printed it, but we've been lazy on getting the pictures done.  Ours expired last week. Since I just booked a cruise for mid January, hopefully that will give enough time.  Fortunately, it's closed loop out of Galveston so we can fish out our birth certificates from the safe deposit box, worst case scenario.  That won't work for Europe in September 2022, certainly it won't take that long!  (knocked on wood after that jinx!)

I knocked on wood for you, too... never underestimate the ability of a government agency to really eff things up!!!

19 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I mailed our renewals in June. They were received July 6. I'm hoping we get them in time for our Feb cruise! News is reporting massive delays.

Just don't have any massive delays on money the government wants from you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Just don't have any massive delays on money the government wants from you.

Nope. Good there. Always pay taxes on time.

We just renewed our Global Entry and didn't need an interview.

John has to get a background check every year to get a security pass for the airport. The company he works for does work there and he needs a pass in case he has to fix equipment.

I had a background check done when I became a rep-payee for my mom. It was done while I was there. I told tbe person doing it that it would be pretty boring. After a few minutes she started to laugh. "Yup, pretty boring."

Still worried tho.

11 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We just renewed our Global Entry and didn't need an interview.

My GE expires next year, and I just submitted for renewal this week.  I noticed that if you have a renewal pending, they are granting 24 months (!!!) of grace period because they are so backlogged processing them.  

(And like you, my background checks are pretty boring... as long as they don't ask any cruise ship employees about me!  I was on Freedom a couple years ago, roasting on deck during the muster drill, and a worker came up and remembered me from the nightclub on Oasis the year before!  LOL  What happens on Royal stays on Royal!  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)  

Well holy guacamole, Batman..... I submitted my Global Entry renewal online on Thursday, and I got my approval at 8:40pm on Saturday!

That's not even two and a half days, and includes a weekend day!  😲

No interview or anything -- just WHAMMO! You're approved!  I'm legit shocked.... I've never known anything the government does to move that quickly! 

That must tell you how squeaky-clean (boring) my background check is!  🤣

3 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Well holy guacamole, Batman..... I submitted my Global Entry renewal online on Thursday, and I got my approval at 8:40pm on Saturday!

That's not even two and a half days, and includes a weekend day!  😲

No interview or anything -- just WHAMMO! You're approved!  I'm legit shocked.... I've never known anything the government does to move that quickly! 

That must tell you how squeaky-clean (boring) my background check is!  🤣

John submitted on a Saturday and approved on Monday. His might have been so fast because he has a background check and interview every year for his airport security badge for work. But then again maybe not.

Good to know! We renewed both our son's passports on 5/27...they have been processing since 7/2 and checked cashed then.  I did order certified birth certs from our state in case they aren't in (they should be mailed this week).  We sail on 8/22.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update on the timing! We renewed our 2 son's passports on 5/27/21 and we just received them today.  So 10 weeks from door to door...not too bad...we didn't need them for our next cruise in 2 weeks but always best to have passports!!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

Just wanted to give an update on the timing! We renewed our 2 son's passports on 5/27/21 and we just received them today.  So 10 weeks from door to door...not too bad...we didn't need them for our next cruise in 2 weeks but always best to have passports!!! 

Sent my renewal in during the last week of April and still waiting.

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Ugh that stinks....we had to do the renewals in person b/c they are minors maybe that is difference.  My friend expedite her children's and got them in 4 weeks...have you had any change when you checked?

1 minute ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

Ugh that stinks....we had to do the renewals in person b/c they are minors maybe that is difference.  My friend expedite her children's and got them in 4 weeks...have you had any change when you checked?

It just keeps saying "In Progress".

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I sent mine first week in May and also got it today.   13 weeks. Had two weeks to spare before our 8/22 sailing.  Mine said reviewing your documents for ever then one day said I had been approved and they were processing it next day said it was mailed.  Goes like Grease Lighting once they said approved.  Hopefully you will get yours soon.

Edited by The sea calls my name
additional information
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

We went to the County Courthouse to renew our daughter's in person because her previous passport expiring in June 2021 was for a child and she is now technically an adult. Her passport is STILL in limbo. They keep sending us this form DS-3053 for "consent to issue child a passport". WTH? We email them and they won't email back other than to say we cannot discuss Passport "status", check on website or call 1-877-487-2778 (a number that is always busy and you can't get through). I am pulling my hair out! Do I need to contact a congressman or senator?

6 hours ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

They don’t do the background checks on minors that they do in adults. I’m always shocked at how much quicker my kids passports get here.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, LadyShiva said:

(United States) Minor passport for a teenager, where kiddo has Pre-check already, and this is the flip from an expired 5 year to a lovely adult 10 year passport.  I paid for expedited handling.

Applied on June 18th, came in the USPS today!  *whew*  Our major city had NO passport interviews available for months (Pandemic), so we kept looking in smaller and smaller towns in the surrounding areas.  Lucked out with a town that does passports every day, no problems.

I hope that is good news for others waiting on their passport renewals.  I am doing the countdown dance now that I can breathe easier. 😁

We need to do this for our soon to be 16 year old.  His passport expired in February, but I wanted to wait until he was 16 to get a new one so it would be good for 10 years instead of 5.  Do we have to do it in person with both parents even though he's 16? Any tips or advice?  Anything I need to make sure I have ready?  Thanks!

Edited by travelinmoma

• Host Kat changed the title to US Passport speed for minors -> set a record!
2 hours ago, travelinmoma said:

We need to do this for our soon to be 16 year old.  His passport expired in February, but I wanted to wait until he was 16 to get a new one so it would be good for 10 years instead of 5.  Do we have to do it in person with both parents even though he's 16? Any tips or advice?  Anything I need to make sure I have ready?  Thanks!

You don't need both parents, but be aware you might need their birth certificate (despite what the website says), so take that with you.

Edited by LadyShiva
  • Like 1