UK Staycations..... Tips ( not a tip thread please)

groryjm

OK so Silhouette is in the UK and likely to stay here until the end of Septrember. The passenger demographic is basicaly Brits. All of us on these staycations have prepaid our gatuities ( included or not) . Any extra tips one might want to give to an attentive barman or butler who has gone above and beyond' I am absolutely sure wil be gratefully recieved. But in what currancy? I have sterling in my wallet and if I bring a couple of hundred on board in cash and give to staff who I feel deserve it then great. If however I feel the service has not quite reached the Xtra level then I can take that cash home. No problem. If however I buy a couple of hundred dollars, in the first instant I pay a commission and in the event I don't feel it is deserved I pay again to convert it back. 

So UK staycations tips in US or UK currancy? Any thoughts? Please don't bring the pros and cons of tipping into this thread.........Please

Edited by groryjm

I’m planning on using some euros that I’ve had for god knows how long which won’t get spent otherwise as we have no plans to go anywhere else.

My understanding is that the staff would be grateful for whatever and can exchange onboard or between themselves if they want. And as Silhouette is cruising Europe late September and October euros may be useful.

And if you have extra OBC, you can ask for a form on which you can use your OBC to give specific staff tips. It comes off your OBC and it is added to the staff person’s paycheck. Nice. I’ve been adding this to a number of threads because I just found out about it! 

As to cash, they will take what you have. I’ve asked about that and they say it up to us, the passenger and they are quite happy with whatever is handy, literally, for us.

den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We will order some $. Any not used will be kept until next cruise. We never get € or $ cashed back, simply put them away until next time we want them. Very nice when you get near to your next holiday to realise you already have a chunk of your ‘spends’!

We have also used OBC to further tip room attendant and butler. You can do this at guest services, it needs to be done 48 hours prior to leaving the ship to ensure it is processed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

We will order some $. Any not used will be kept until next cruise. We never get € or $ cashed back, simply put them away until next time we want them. Very nice when you get near to your next holiday to realise you already have a chunk of your ‘spends’!

We have also used OBC to further tip room attendant and butler. You can do this at guest services, it needs to be done 48 hours prior to leaving the ship to ensure it is processed.

Except the pound is down against both at the moment. 

I am just taking £

I have a couple of hundred dollars I had available for a South American Cruise😒. However I think I will save them for future trips and use pounds, or the OBC idea. Do you get the form from Passenger Services.  

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

We never get € or $ cashed back, simply put them away until next time we want them. Very nice when you get near to your next holiday to realise you already have a chunk of your ‘spends’!

Except that they weren’t in my holiday purse!!!🙈

Fortunately, I’ve found then with my passport.
Senior moment after 23 months of no cruising!!😱

• Haha 2

I always tip members of the Activities team as they get overlooked. They work so hard too but passengers seem to think that because they are not of Asian, or Indonesian origin they earn loads more! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, isdoo said:

Actually don't forget to hand over Scottish pounds if in Scottish waters, and Northern Irish pounds if in Belfast.  😂 😂

Ha! I know you’ve seen the situation where one of us tourists hands a bill over being quite ‘smart’ they are using cash and have the person say they can’t accept a Scottish Bank note! We’d look at the dumb thing and at the clerk and just stand there with a dumbfounded ‘I’m Not going to Scotland!’ Look.

Been there done that. 

Den

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 12:20 AM, groryjm said:

OK so Silhouette is in the UK and likely to stay here until the end of Septrember. The passenger demographic is basicaly Brits. All of us on these staycations have prepaid our gatuities ( included or not) . Any extra tips one might want to give to an attentive barman or butler who has gone above and beyond' I am absolutely sure wil be gratefully recieved. But in what currancy? I have sterling in my wallet and if I bring a couple of hundred on board in cash and give to staff who I feel deserve it then great. If however I feel the service has not quite reached the Xtra level then I can take that cash home. No problem. If however I buy a couple of hundred dollars, in the first instant I pay a commission and in the event I don't feel it is deserved I pay again to convert it back. 

So UK staycations tips in US or UK currancy? Any thoughts? Please don't bring the pros and cons of tipping into this thread.........Please

Any currency. On multi country cruises we give all our loose change , odd notes etc to the cabin steward or if we are lucky to our favorite coffee shop girl (Olesia). The ship will even convert coins for the crew even though they won't for us.

We took US $ on our cruise 3rd July.  We always a fair few dollars and tip on top of the already paid/included gratuities.  On this last cruise we had around 100 dollars left out of our OBC and we signed the form and shared the monies we had not used.   I am sure GBP will be gratefully received however.