The Daily for Thursday July 22, 2021

richwmn

8 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning on  a  slightly  cooler day  with  a  little  breeze-perfect  for   a  hammock. All  of  the  days  are  festive  and  can  be  observed easily  here. The  recipe  is  a  good  one and  I  tend  to  repeat  my  dinner offerings  often. I  am  the  cook  so  I  can  do  it!

I  would  love  to  go  to  the  Isle  of  Lewis  but  once  again  it  is  in  my  dreams. Looking   forward  to  pictures.

@kazu, sorry  about  your  car troubles. Hopefully  all  is  well  now.

I  just  returned  from  dropping  my  ancient  vehicle off  at  the  local  mechanic  for  inspection. It  is  only  a  4  block  walk  home. It  was  so  busy  there  that  I  initially  was  double  parked  on  a  pretty  busy  street. We  waited  to  be  checked  in  for a  half  an  hour. I  actually  enjoyed  the  wait  because  the  people  with  me  on  line were  very  talkative. This  is  not  a  usual  thing  in  NY! I  found  out  all  sorts  of  interesting  things  about  cars,schools,workplaces  and  the  like.

@mamaofami, my DD  is  the  same  age  and  she  has  always  been  a  lot  of  fun. Happy  Birthday  to  David

Terry

Was she born in New Rochelle Hospital?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

No big surprises with my primary doctor.  He is starting me on cholesterol med and gave me a referral to a new cardiologist.

Roy

After my heart attack in December 2019 I was prescribed 80mg Atorvastin reduced to 40mg after a blood test 6 months later 

My cholesterol was 4.5 total after my HA where anything under 5 is usually acceptable.

I am now on 10mg Rosuvastatin and total cholesterol is 2.5 with bad cholesterol 0.5.

Muscle or joint pain are potential side effects of statins but there are a few different ones to try.

Hopefully the statins and new cardiologist works for you in a positive way Roy.

Best wishes.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I did buy some OxyClean today on the way home from the pool.  I made a strong solution in a bucket and the top is now soaking in that.  I'll leave it for a day or two.  I remember OxyClean is what got some berry stains out of a pair of white jeans a number of years ago.  Keeping my fingers crossed that this will do the trick.  

Not sure how well it does with apple juice stains, but this really simple trick works magically well on berry stains. Really.

1) Spread the stained item over a sink or large pot, so the underside is “hanging free” but well supported.

2) Boil about 2- 3 quarts of plain water.

3) Carefully, very carefully, slowly pour the boiling water directly over the stain.

It will sit there a few seconds, then turn dark, then just disappear.

I’ve fixed so many stained tablecloths and napkins this way.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Not sure how well it does with apple juice stains, but this really simple trick works magically well on berry stains. Really.

1) Spread the stained item over a sink or large pot, so the underside is “hanging free” but well supported.

2) Boil about 2- 3 quarts of plain water.

3) Carefully, very carefully, slowly pour the boiling water directly over the stain.

It will sit there a few seconds, then turn dark, then just disappear.

I’ve fixed so many stained tablecloths and napkins this way.

Well, these three little spots are proving to be the most difficult of the difficult stains.  If a couple of days in OxyClean doesn't do the trick I will try this and @JazzyV's suggestion of peroxide and then @puppycanducruise's suggestion of buying a new blouse as a last resort.  

How long can I keep this shirt wet before it rots?

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Thursday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

It is so humid here that it is making me very sleepy, and sticky, and we are just not used to it at all.  I would much rather be in a hammock on Half Moon Cay. 

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures of today’s port. I would love to go to Scotland. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 14

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Lovely days. I'm at leisure today and will have a refreshment. I don't havve a hammock.

I like the meal and wine. I'll pass on the drink. My BFF brought me chili, so that's dinner tonight.

I haven't been to today's port, nor Scotland at all. Anticipating pictures.

It's very nice here today. Low humidity and in the mid-70's. And the smoke effect from the PNW and Canada is clearing. Windows are open!

I'm feeling pretty good. I slept almost 9 hours last night; I was so tired. Maybe a sedation after effect. So, I'm putting in my drops and wearing my shield. My Ophthalmologist is conservative, so I have to wear it all the time for a week, then a week of bedtime only. I may have some wine tonight; I didn't want to until the sedation meds were totally out of my system.

Wonderful news, Vanessa!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, dfish said:

@Cruising-alongSuper good news about your cousin!

@kazuOnce when I took my car in for an oil change they found a dead mouse in the air filter.  The service attendants were so squeamish that I had to go and dispose of poor, departed Mickey.  

Ok, Dailyites, I need some domestic help here.   I wore a brand new top to my picnic on Tuesday and when I was eating my apple, some juice dropped on to the top.  I came straight home, sprayed it with Shout and washed it, but there are still three small, but noticeable stains on it.  So, I soaked it over night in distilled vinegar and water and then washed it again with Biz added.  There are still three small stains, a little faded now, but still noticeable.

What do I do now?

Or set it out in the sun, that often works

• Like 7

We visited Stornoway in May 2019 while on a Highlands cruise on the Zuiderdam. Apparently, it is not a port HAL visits all that often. We were told that the Zuiderdam was the largest cruise ship to have been there and with no suitable dock - meant it was a tender port. 

Zuiderdam at anchor.

Ship.jpg.b533ac2a89beddb3a9a846a4bf057103.jpg

The tenders docked at the Ferry Terminal.
1314492630_FerryTermialSign.jpg.124ab4932f77dd7a18fc65e1912f1506.jpg

The Ferry Terminal is behind the statue

image.png.88355d764cfae02e40ca71f6b43692ea.png

There were limited shore excursions available, so we did a brief walk about the town.

We first visited the Lews Castle which is a modest walk up the hill from the downtown area. It dates from the mid-1800’s and was the country home for Sir James Matheson who had bought the island with the fortune he made from the Chinese Opium trade. In 1918 it was bought by a Lord Leverhulme from the Matheson family and in 1923 he gave the castle to the people of Stornoway parish. 

image.png.cee8548788673ffb39796782db09b151.png

It is now owned by the local council and is in the process of being converted into a museum/cultural centre. The ground floor of the building is open to the public, including a restored ballroom and a café.

Ballroom.

image.png.425bd20159c502724af08de1f392f06c.png

Entry door.

image.png.dd6a264a79bf3df8e040444821bad3f1.png

Entryway/hall Ceiling.

image.png.ea374787847af94aca4f26c880bc8c24.png

Natural Retreats, a luxury holiday property company has apartments for rent on the upper floors.

image.png.1eb1b76526b760f1aca7805137055702.png

Stairway to upper floors. Access was restricted to renters and staff.

image.png.def485951d047cf98ae432bff8d70a5b.png

The castle is work in progress so there’s not all that much to see as far as furnishing, or artifacts. The café is fairly large and had a good selection for food. Plus, it had free Wi-Fi - so it was a popular spot.

On the way back to the dock we did a loop through part of the town, including passing by the local golf course.

image.png.8a6ef1d0717fa0f05e5db1c2333ce62c.png

Apparently it has been around since 1890. 

image.thumb.png.e36f3aeb97a55a8e958e8087369f5b97.png

image.png.69f864b2f34654ffe5b45835fbb6c944.png

Past several wooden statues.

image.png.4e3e2c88eb4b2ece000a354360628c8d.png

image.png.c8507b16f6f37b803727e9faa5045f52.png

image.png.dcdb624b5c42b6b8061f6e5093ffbf97.png

The Town Hall.

image.png.3831827c52885ce5b67cd1067c6a20c4.png

It was midweek when we were there so most businesses were open, but on the whole, we found the local people seemed unfriendly when we approached them to talk about their town. At the local culture/art/info centre when I asked one of the staff about information/souvenirs, all I got was a stiff nose-in-the-air remark “You’re from the cruise ship” as she walked away to talk to some of the other staff. 

The lack of local interest in cruise ship business was also evident at the pier. Usually there are a number of people promoting tours and local goods/souvenirs. All we saw was a young guy playing a bagpipe.

Although, I must say the staff we talked to at Lews Castle were very informative and a pleasure to deal with.

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Well, these three little spots are proving to be the most difficult of the difficult stains.  If a couple of days in OxyClean doesn't do the trick I will try this and @JazzyV's suggestion of peroxide and then @puppycanducruise's suggestion of buying a new blouse as a last resort.  

How long can I keep this shirt wet before it rots?

Just 1/2 hour from everything I’ve ever read as I’ve struggled with the same problem

And I doubt it will rot but who knows how much “abuse” it can take.

Good luck

• Like 7

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

No big surprises with my primary doctor.  He is starting me on cholesterol med and gave me a referral to a new cardiologist.

Roy

A new cardiologist sounds good Roy.  

I love no surprises.  That means you are improving 👍. Keep up the good work.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

It was midweek when we were there so most businesses were open, but on the whole, we found the local people seemed unfriendly when we approached them to talk about their town. At the local culture/art/info centre when I asked one of the staff about information/souvenirs, all I got was a stiff nose-in-the-air remark “You’re from the cruise ship” as she walked away to talk to some of the other staff. 

The lack of local interest in cruise ship business was also evident at the pier. Usually there are a number of people promoting tours and local goods/souvenirs. All we saw was a young guy playing a bagpipe.

Wow.  Now I'm not sorry I haven't visited this port!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Wow.  Now I'm not sorry I haven't visited this port!

Onboard the ship I had several people mentioned they had a excellent time visiting sites outside the town. So if you manage to get to sites outside the town area, which are more used to working in the tourist business, you will likely find the people much more interested in your business. It just seems like the businesses in main town area (outside of Lews Castle) are the ones who turn their noses up at people from cruise ships.

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just announced: that due to the increasing numbers of covid in Australia,   Quarantine Free Travel with all Australian states and territories, is suspended from 11.59 pm today., for at least 8 weeks.

New Zealanders visiting in Australia are urged to return home.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, erewhon said:

Just announced: that due to the increasing numbers of covid in Australia,   Quarantine Free Travel with all Australian states and territories, is suspended from 11.59 pm today., for at least 8 weeks.

New Zealanders visiting in Australia are urged to return home.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Friday suspended for at least eight weeks the so-called "travel bubble" with Australia that allows movement between the two countries without quarantine.

• Like 3