LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

2 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

I am trying to pull up menus on my Navigator app here at home by clicking on “Experiences” then “dining and drinks” but only get a blank page. I wonder what I’m doing wrong?

From the Home Screen on the app you should see Dining and below that heading are The Dining Room, Lido… just swipe left until you see the restaurant you are looking for and tap on that. Then just tap on the menu you want to see. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, atexsix said:

That means I will be doing all the work, no way Dear Dad will figure out the app, he can't even figure out the volume rocker.....sigh.

Hopefully in Six weeks they start handing out more menus. We saw them last night but tonight they wanted us to look at my phone.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

No wonder only three of us showed up for the Meet and Greet. Have to admit right now I am actually close to tears. This would have been very important to me yet I had no idea. 😭

I'm sorry....now I'm going to cry too, because Truvy and I both have a policy that nobody cries alone in our presence.  Hugs!!

😁

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

No wonder only three of us showed up for the Meet and Greet. Have to admit right now I am actually close to tears. This would have been very important to me yet I had no idea. 😭

Now I know too, but I wish a couple regulars could have sent a message to your stateroom, not sure they had enough time though.  

9 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Hopefully in Six weeks they start handing out more menus. We saw them last night but tonight they wanted us to look at my phone.

I just need to take a deep breath to remind me of what I told myself when I booked, that it was going to be different.

Still, some things are a little disappointing, especially after paying thousands of dollars for, let's face it, a rather expensive holiday!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

They are avoiding all menus and want everyone to upload menu from the QR but they don’t have a QR for Club Orange.

Oh geesh….well, I guess it’s like inaugural cruises isn’t it-have to roll with the flow.  You’ve done those and this reminds me of them.  It’s a first cruise after so long there’s a lot of things they need to work out. 

I don’t even know how to do a QR code so I’d be totally lost.  I hope they’ll have a QR by tomorrow for Club Orange for you and the others affected. 

Thanks for always doing such a great “Live” thread.  We learn so much from your posts.  

• Like 3

Lisa, I hope HAL finds a way to make it right regarding your missed reception. I have a question about your room. If I read correctly earlier, you are in an aft cabin on deck 7. Is that right? We are on the August 21 cruise and have two aft cabins booked, 7138 and 7143. I wondered how they were and if they actually are a little bigger than the regular verandas. Of course, if you have a corner cabin, you wouldn't know! I'm enjoying every minute of your reports. Thank you. 

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Plus all these staff haven't worked in 16 or so months. They are going to be rusty. There are some changes. Some here have acted like they should be perfect...

Yes! I have read (elsewhere I think) that some people have forgotten how to pack for a vacation. We went on a short 2-day trip recently after not going anywhere since Jan 2020 and it was difficult to remember what to bring. Fortunately I had a past packing list to use, but it felt weird!!!! 😵

Edited by PSR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, atexsix said:

Is it me or do they not quite have their stuff together?  A lot of oversights, and I know it's been 14 months, but some of it is just newbie to me.  I'm sure I will get ripped one here, but Lisa has a right to be angry, not difficult to find out who your 4 n 5 stars are, especially a ship only half full.

If that was the only one scheduled for this voyage, I would agree with you that someone dropped the proverbial hot potato! Having uttered that, perhaps stand by a couple of days to see if a second reception is forthcoming due to a larger than usual "load" of 4/5 Star Mariners on this particular voyage. Just a thought! 😉 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Plus all these staff haven't worked in 16 or so months. They are going to be rusty. There are some changes. Some here have acted like they should be perfect...

I think knowing if wine packages exist is very, very basic and important to hal earning revenue.  I don’t see that as thinking hal should be perfect.  What specifically are you thinking in terms of people saying things should be perfect? I don’t see it myself.

Lisa @LAFFNVEGAS, thank you so much for being an awesome reporter.  Such a kind thing to do -- fielding so many questions.

Yum to the photos of gala night dinner.  The CO veal chop looks amazing.  And you guys look amazing, too -- photogenic couple!

I hope the cruise continues to sail along smoothly.  Hooray to arriving in Alaska!  Omg I can't wait to board in September!  😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think knowing if wine packages exist is very, very basic and important to hal earning revenue.  I don’t see that as thinking hal should be perfect.  What specifically are you thinking in terms of people saying things should be perfect? I don’t see it myself.

There are people complaining about several things, not just the wine packages. I say roll with the issues of the first cruise back in 16 months. Sounds like there is a new serving system for meals. Its not going to be perfect. I say, on the 4/5 star reception, check with the front desk and see what is happening. 

If you hadn't done something...particularly a team event... in 16 months would you be perfect?

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

The food looks delicious! We don’t have club orange and we have booked the Pinnacle Grill for embarkation evening. As a HAL newcomer is there any reason not to do a specialty restaurant on embarkation night?

We have often done a specialty restaurant the first night since we have found there is sometimes much more disorganization and delay the first night in the MDR. Mind you we also always do open seating, if we did set seating we may be inclined to meet our table mates the first night rather than become the “new kids” the next night.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There are people complaining about several things, not just the wine packages. I say roll with the issues of the first cruise back in 16 months. Sounds like there is a new serving system for meals. Its not going to be perfect. I say, on the 4/5 star reception, check with the front desk and see what is happening. 

If you hadn't done something...particularly a team event... in 16 months would you be perfect?

And give them a chance . BE HAPPY 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Well shockingly the WiFi is strong tonight must be not many using it right now. Lol

Here is tomorrow’s When and Where. 
We also turn our clock back tonight one hour.

1E0BD9E1-7657-435D-83EC-73ADA9C3EB17.jpeg

19758513-0576-437A-B9D4-D4D998729F4F.jpeg

974C2556-E36E-4EC1-8341-73C75B542277.jpeg

As expected, 0 entertainment.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I don’t even know how to do a QR code so I’d be totally lost.  I hope they’ll have a QR by tomorrow for Club Orange for you and the others affected. 

In New York it has become common during the pandemic to use QR codes for menus. 

It is fairly easy: you open your camera app on your smartphone and get the QR code in view, it should pop up a link to the menu that you can click on.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

As expected, 0 entertainment.

After the lockdowns, I would be quite content to be on a ship without entertainment! At least I am out of the house and out of town and out of state. 🙄

They are in port til 10 PM; how much entertainment is needed?

Edited by Boytjie
  • Like 15

4 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

After the lockdowns, I would be quite content to be on a ship without entertainment! At least I am out of the house and out of town and out of state. 🙄

They are in port til 10 PM; how much entertainment is needed?

Not me, I expect music and dancing..

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Here is Canaletto 

2CF752A1-B910-4426-862E-A21C18E35E63.png

I already saw this on Navigator but wondered if it matches what they have at the Canaletto itself since you already said there have been MDR changes.