LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

Another observation/comment. This is about the shops specifically the cosmetics. 
I realized I had not brought one of my darker pink lipsticks so thought I would go down this morning to get one. All the samples were used,  smashed up or very melted down. Obviously never changed since March 2020. Then. Asked if they had any to sell and the guy there stated he did not think so and may be getting supplies in Juneau. It also appeared all the Frangrances were old as well. 
I would have thought all of it would have been removed and new brought on. I asked if the sample lipstick was from prior to the pause and he answered yes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Have you actually gone to the front desk or do you deal the the neptune suite concierge?  Those are 2 totally different things.  If you can get an answer from the front desk on such things consider yourself lucky.  Personally, I would be ok with disruption in the MDR.  It seems pre pandemic it was the same.  Hals strong suit is not being organized.  We've all had challenges during the pandmeic personally or business wise.  That is no reason for mediocrity to be the order of the day.  Cruises are a fortune now.  For a lot of us it's a stretch.  I want to hear the good and bad not the sugar coated version so I'm happy to hear it all.  People want to feel valued.  I don't think that's too much to ask.

If you have access to the Neptune Lounge, I would definitely use the concierges there. Far superior way to deal with problems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Another observation/comment. This is about the shops specifically the cosmetics. 
I realized I had not brought one of my darker pink lipsticks so thought I would go down this morning to get one. All the samples were used,  smashed up or very melted down. Obviously never changed since March 2020. Then. Asked if they had any to sell and the guy there stated he did not think so and may be getting supplies in Juneau. It also appeared all the Frangrances were old as well. 
I would have thought all of it would have been removed and new brought on. I asked if the sample lipstick was from prior to the pause and he answered yes.

Didn't they just have 15-plus months to restock? 😏

• Like 4

Perhaps HAL did not know whether the ship would even set sail or when in the future a BHB would sail and chose to pull back somewhat on drinks, food items and various cosmetics and sundries? 

Not an excuse, I know, but so much could have been wasted had y'all not sailed.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I cannot give you a definite 100% but my understanding is all items being offered in the mini bar are at the 50% but since there are only two to get them replenished may be a pain so ordering in advance may be the way to go.

I found an old (2019) minibar price list and it shows Acqua Panna on it so if it still shows on the current one (do you have the price list in your stateroom?), then yes, the 50% discount applies, and then they add the 18% fee on top of that and it's about a dollar less than the per bottle price of pre-ordering the water package.

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

Perhaps HAL did not know whether the ship would even set sail or when in the future a BHB would sail and chose to pull back somewhat on drinks, food items and various cosmetics and sundries? 

The shops are independently owned and run so HAL has nothing to do with inventory of those.  That said, you'd think those vendors could have restocked between the time this cruise was announced and last Saturday.  Will be interesting to see if they restock any of that in Juneau.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Yes they clean just once a day but while not doing turn down they are still coming into the cabin at least for us bringing the When and Where, placing the form for Room Service on our bed and making towel animals.

Good to know.  Thanks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zelker said:

Yep, I know minibar isn't included in a beverage package.

So to confirm, the Acqua Panna bottles ARE eligible for our 50% discount, correct?  (we aren't doing the promo on this cruise so will be paying a la carte for beverages and if they aren't specifically eligible for the discount, it's less to order them delivered to the stateroom ahead of time).  

They always were pre-covid and re-plenished as we drank them.  They were considered mini bar items that don’t fit.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

ok for those wanting info on Port Valet for luggage. You will get the form on Monday and it must be turned in by noon Wednesday.

This "Free Service" is clearly an attempt to get you hooked on baggage transfer service for every cruise henceforth.  If you think you will go back to the days of being a pack mule and hauling your luggage bags through the ports and trains, and cab, and airports after this "Free Service" think again. 

Just like when they "Gave me a really low cost upgrade to a suite" on one cruise. I had no idea how much that Low Cost Upgrade would cost in all the following years of cruising. You can never go back...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Well, they only had 16 months to change it :).  Apparently that is not enough ;).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kazu said:

They always were pre-covid and re-plenished as we drank them.  They were considered mini bar items that don’t fit.

Thanks, Jacqui - I just found a minibar price list on Roger's website from 2019 that shows it.  Makes life easy.  And I had forgotten that you can order the 6 pack while onboard, too but I don't think those get the discount.  Either way, we're set.  👍

2 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

Just like when they "Gave me a really low cost upgrade to a suite" on one cruise. I had no idea how much that Low Cost Upgrade would cost in all the following years of cruising. You can never go back...

Yeah, happened to us in 2004 (verandah to a Neptune for peanuts) and we've been hooked ever since.  

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you have access to the Neptune Lounge, I would definitely use the concierges there. Far superior way to deal with problems.

Yes, and I would do that, if I had access.  I've had neptune suites but only with reasonable upsells.  My point is, the front desk is not good to deal with a lot of the time.  They have stock answers to give you.  Asking them about other receptions and if you would be invited would be pointless in my experience.

23 minutes ago, zelker said:

I found an old (2019) minibar price list and it shows Acqua Panna on it so if it still shows on the current one (do you have the price list in your stateroom?), then yes, the 50% discount applies, and then they add the 18% fee on top of that and it's about a dollar less than the per bottle price of pre-ordering the water package.

See below

image.jpg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, zelker said:

Thanks, Jacqui - I just found a minibar price list on Roger's website from 2019 that shows it.  Makes life easy.  And I had forgotten that you can order the 6 pack while onboard, too but I don't think those get the discount.  Either way, we're set.  👍

Once on board I called for my mini bar to be stocked with 4 cokes, and they sent 2 of the two coke 'packages'. A quick conversation with the Beverage Manager and the pricing was changed to the Mini Bar Price. Since then I find the Beverage Manager or Assistant and make sure I get the correct pricing.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, panamashark said:

Embarkation question.  Did HAL perform a covid virus test at the port prior to boarding?  Was it quick or time consuming.  Thanks 

No covid test. They had stated everyone must be fully vaccinated.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

As a result, QR codes have allowed some restaurants to build a database of their customers’ order histories and contact information. At retail chains, people may soon be confronted by personalized offers and incentives marketed within QR code payment systems.

“People don’t understand that  when you use a QR code, it inserts the entire apparatus of online tracking between you and your meal,” said Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst at the American Civil Liberties Union. “Suddenly your offline activity of sitting down for a meal has become part of the online advertising empire.”

If I am just browsing the menu from scanning the QR code, it is nto getting any order information. I have only been to one restaurant in NYC where you could also place your orders from the scanned link.

Facebook and Google track a lot more what I do online!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

This "Free Service" is clearly an attempt to get you hooked on baggage transfer service for every cruise henceforth.  If you think you will go back to the days of being a pack mule and hauling your luggage bags through the ports and trains, and cab, and airports after this "Free Service" think again. 

Actually this FREE service has been offered from at least 2017 possibly earlier. I honestly don’t think it is offered to be able to sell something later. I think it is probably a joint venture with all of the cruise lines SeaTac airport and and city of Seattle. I lasted used it September 2018 when we cruised NCL Bliss.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Once on board I called for my mini bar to be stocked with 4 cokes, and they sent 2 of the two coke 'packages'. A quick conversation with the Beverage Manager and the pricing was changed to the Mini Bar Price. Since then I find the Beverage Manager or Assistant and make sure I get the correct pricing.

Rich - thanks for this!  I'll definitely try to do the same.  Wonder if John can specify a different beer to be stocked.